Australia primarily only YOLO?

Discover the Alpine scenery, great walks and Maori culture of New Zealand. Learn about ancient aboriginal cultures, remote islands, endemic wildlife, vast deserts and stunning beaches of Australia. Delve into the diverse islands, peoples, landscapes and festivals of the paradise known as the South Pacific.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Australia primarily only YOLO?

Postby moviegeekjn » Fri May 24, 2013 4:42 pm

What is the deal with most of G Adventures tours in Australia being listed as YOLO? Although I've heard that "older" people who are "young at heart" are not banned, the site description still remains that YOLO is for the younger set.

Australia is VERY expensive on regular tourist routes, so there are a number of "older" people (very much into adventure on a budget) who would be interested in many of these trips
moviegeekjn
User Rank: Nomad

Re: Australia primarily only YOLO?

Postby desiree2 » Sat May 25, 2013 3:58 am

Hi
As you pointed out, Australia is very expensive (I'm Australian) which is probably why most of the trips are YOLO. Being YOLO means that accommodation, transport etc is quite basic. I note that some trips are predominantly multishare which may not suit all older people (I'm one of them too). YOLO is more to let people know that the trip is basic, rather than an age thing.
Of course, once G start increasing the level of accommodation etc it would also mean increasing the cost of the trip (probably quite considerably).
So, if you want to go to Australia and don't want to spend an arm and a leg, then YOLO might be the way to go.
Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Re: Australia primarily only YOLO?

Postby kcupp95 » Sat May 25, 2013 5:24 am

G adventures Sydney to Cairns YOLO is $2999 for 17 days
APT (one of the "luxury travel companies" Sydney to Cairns is $3395 for 14 days.

The G Trip uses budget multishare (3-4+ to a room) accommodation
Basic hotels (3 nts, multi-share), eco-lodge (3 nts, multi-share), maxi yacht (2 nts, multi-share), beach lodge (1 nt, multi-share), hostels (3 nts, multi-share), beach teepee (2 nts, multi-share), 'swag' (2 nts)

The APT trip is using 4-5 star hotels.

G also does a 10 day East Coast in style for $2999 where you get the nicer hotels, which has considerably increased the price.

The YOLO reflects the accomodation as well as the activities included, it seems to be pretty action-packed and hands on, not just the standard bus tour and guided tours older age groups may prefer.
kcupp95

Return to New Zealand, Australia & the South Pacific