Scuba or snorkel ? Great Barrier Reef east coast encompassed

Discover the Alpine scenery, great walks and Maori culture of New Zealand. Learn about ancient aboriginal cultures, remote islands, endemic wildlife, vast deserts and stunning beaches of Australia. Delve into the diverse islands, peoples, landscapes and festivals of the paradise known as the South Pacific.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Scuba or snorkel ? Great Barrier Reef east coast encompassed

Postby bambi » Sun May 05, 2013 5:12 am

Hi guys

I am trying to decide if it is worth finishing my scuba certificate so I can scuba the Great Barrier Reef rather than just snorkel...

i am going on the East Coast Encompassed tour and if I am going to go diving I think I'd rather get my cert before I go so I don't waste time once I'm there!

Is it worth actually going scuba diving rather than snorkelling? Will I see much more? Any advice from those who have done one or both appreciated!

bambi
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Scuba or snorkel ? Great Barrier Reef east coast encompa

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon May 06, 2013 3:12 pm

Haven't done either but I'd almost always say scuba over snorkel. Even if you stay at 3 feet, I think you get a more "immersive" experience by getting below the lap of the waves.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby Zuleika » Thu May 09, 2013 12:41 pm

OMIGOD - you are going to the Barrier reef and contemplating NOT scuba-ing???!!!

This is the most amazing place to scuba - I highly recommend finishing your course and scuba out there - it is amazing! You wont regret it I promise!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika

Postby georginal » Thu May 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Definitely go scuba! If you need to top up your quallies then this is the place to do it.

If you're not qualified to the right level, you can go with an instructor, you will definately see more, but be warned though, some of those boats are absolutely packed with people. Gosh there are so many options, I wouldn't know where to start. But I wouldn't finish the course at home, I'd do it out there. Likely it'd be cheaper as well.

It might be worth doing some checking out on the internet before you go whats available. I take it that tours going to Cairns so I'd do some checking to see if there's a course that fits your time scale. I'd be confident there is. However, my info might be out of date, my trip was 9 years ago...
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby kcupp95 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:56 am

georginal wrote:If you're not qualified to the right level, you can go with an instructor, you will definately see more, but be warned though, some of those boats are absolutely packed with people. Gosh there are so many options, I wouldn't know where to start. But I wouldn't finish the course at home, I'd do it out there. Likely it'd be cheaper as well.

It might be worth doing some checking out on the internet before you go whats available. I take it that tours going to Cairns so I'd do some checking to see if there's a course that fits your time scale. I'd be confident there is. However, my info might be out of date, my trip was 9 years ago...

Depending on how long you've got in cairns, there's some companies that do live-aboard for 3 days 2 nights and take it you out to different reefs than the main tourist boats do and can do a lot more dives.

I've had friends go out with Cairns Diving Centre, which is $570 for 3 days, 2 nights on the reef and includes all your meals and 10? Dives. Which is a bargain considering the day trips with one scuba dive is $240......

I would try and finish your scuba diving course at home, like you said you don't want to waste time with that here, and it most likely would be the same price or more expensive.

http://www.cairnsdive.com.au/liveaboard ... liveaboard
kcupp95
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby georginal » Sun May 12, 2013 2:17 pm

Just one other thing, even if you decide not to do your cert before you go, pack your paperwork anyway, you may find you change your mind when you get there.
georginal

Postby bambi » Sat May 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Great info guys!! Thank you. Lots of food for thought. I think I might finish it at home and then I will make most of it while I'm there!! So excited!
bambi

Postby rsimon23 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:20 pm

Hey im taking the same tour and just finished my scuba course last week. I'm going to say its probably worth it.
rsimon23
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to New Zealand, Australia & the South Pacific