Hiking/trekking in New Zealand

Discover the Alpine scenery, great walks and Maori culture of New Zealand. Learn about ancient aboriginal cultures, remote islands, endemic wildlife, vast deserts and stunning beaches of Australia. Delve into the diverse islands, peoples, landscapes and festivals of the paradise known as the South Pacific.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Hiking/trekking in New Zealand

Postby cduwell » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:37 am

Hi,
I've only been on one G Adventures trip (which I adored) which included a 4 day Inca Trail trek. I'd like to do a multi-day trek in New Zealand and also see some of NZ.

Do any of the G Adventure tours to NZ include a semi-serious trek? Or should I look at a short sight seeing tour with G and then book a multi-day hike separately with a different group?

Any help would be appreciated! Fortunately for me I'm close by (in Australia) so I don't have to try and fit everything into this one visit to NZ.
cduwell
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Hiking/trekking in New Zealand

Postby kcupp95 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:29 am

The New Zealand Encompassed trip has the 1 day Tongiaro? Hike and some smaller hikes on different days.
kcupp95
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Hiking/trekking in New Zealand

Postby coqui14 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:10 am

The Tongariro crossing is very nice hike; also you can do a day hiking at Mt Cook National park. If you want to do a more serious trekking, I will recommend to do the Milford Trek, one of the most famous treks in the world. Is approx. 53km, 3-4 days. Only 40 people a day are allow and you sleep on a hut each day. Good luck
coqui14

Return to New Zealand, Australia & the South Pacific