12 Days in Australia

Discover the Alpine scenery, great walks and Maori culture of New Zealand. Learn about ancient aboriginal cultures, remote islands, endemic wildlife, vast deserts and stunning beaches of Australia. Delve into the diverse islands, peoples, landscapes and festivals of the paradise known as the South Pacific.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

12 Days in Australia

Postby huwtc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:58 am

Dear all,

I was looking for advice on what to do to finish my 'Australia Adventure'. I will have been to Brisbane, Melbourne and then on to Sydney. I then have 12 full days to work my way over from Sydney to Perth for my flight home.

I have looked at getting the Indian-Pacific train from Sydney to Perth via Adelaide. I have also looked at going up to Alice springs. One tour I saw through STA that did look quite good on the West coast was 'Secrets of Esperance' taking in bits of the West Coast

I didn't know what would be the wisest use of my time:
- Brief stop in Adelaide and then over to see more of the West Coast
- Spend a bit more time in each place
- With or without Alice Springs.

Does anybody have any advice on the best bits to pick out from this limited amount of time?

Many thanks
huwtc
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: 12 Days in Australia

Postby desiree2 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:59 am

Hi
The Indian-Pacific is quite expensive ($500 to several thousands depending on date and level of service). Not quite sure how old you are, but if you are looking at STA, I'm assuming you're young. I haven't travelled on the Indian Pacific, but it's mostly for older people and most of the scenery is desert so it may be a little boring.
I have been to Adelaide, which has great scenery, heaps of vineyards and wonderful coastline, but it can be a little staid. Perhaps a few days in Alice Springs (Uluru) and then onto the west coast and do a tour. What time of year are you going? You can swim with the whale sharks at certain times and Ningaloo reef is supposed to be spectacular.
Have you thought about Darwin - lots to see there with rainforests, wildlife and cultural highlights?
Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Return to New Zealand, Australia & the South Pacific