Oz Experience and Kiwi Experience - hot or not??

Discover the Alpine scenery, great walks and Maori culture of New Zealand. Learn about ancient aboriginal cultures, remote islands, endemic wildlife, vast deserts and stunning beaches of Australia. Delve into the diverse islands, peoples, landscapes and festivals of the paradise known as the South Pacific.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Oz Experience and Kiwi Experience - hot or not??

Postby fkb123 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:54 pm

Hello there! I am planning on travelling to Australia on my own in Novemeber. Is that the same time you are thinking? I am really worried about not having enough money and needing to be safe alone. I have been looking into all the companies, but they are so expensive! A lot of people have told me to just get a flight booked and go! One of my friends who is already out there, said to not book any tours or things before going because they are a lot cheaper once you are there you can find the best deal.
fkb123
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby onyx007 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:27 am

fkb123 wrote:Hello there! I am planning on travelling to Australia on my own in Novemeber. Is that the same time you are thinking? I am really worried about not having enough money and needing to be safe alone. I have been looking into all the companies, but they are so expensive! A lot of people have told me to just get a flight booked and go! One of my friends who is already out there, said to not book any tours or things before going because they are a lot cheaper once you are there you can find the best deal.

In my opinion, that might be true for hostels, transportations and short trips, but not for longer tours. Did you check out an STA-Travel-Agency? Sometimes there is a discount if you book that early or if you book more than one tour...I just thought about; it might be that if you book in Australia it could be that they have "last minute"-offers, but only for certain trips, so if you have an itenary then it might not work out.

And my last thought; if you don't have enough money it might be better to wait for Australia until you safed more to get the most of this trip and stay longer there (it's not much fun if you have constantly to think about if you can spent money on this or that) or just spend it on a cheaper destination for the time beeing, Australia will be there the next years as well and there are so much more destinations around the globe which are also as exciting as Australia (though it was my favourite trip so far, as I spent 6 month in this amazing country).
onyx007
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby georginal » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:36 pm

I used Stray in NZ. I initially booked their North Island tour, enjoyed it so I subsequently booked the South Island tour, I could have booked it all in one and save more money, but I wasn't certain when I booked. I am still in contact with a few of my fellow Stray travellers.

The Stray crowd are usually a little older as a rule- more like late 20's early 30's rather than 18-20 but we still had a damned good time. Can totally recommend them. I would though with till you get to NZ to book as there are sales everywhere. Look out for the deals in the Tourist Info (called "I sites" in NZ) and there are at least 2 or 3 of them in Auckland and see what the Manager Specials are. Chances are if you go for the first one you see, you'll find a cheaper deal just around the corner! So shop around when you get there and I'm sure you'll be able to get on a tour in the next day or two.

One of my biggest issues in Australia was that I did do too much planning as I only had 2 1/2 months there, so ended up doing trips that fitted into my timescale, rather than what the cheapest trip was. So when I got to NZ 5 years later, the planning (I only had ideas) didn't get done at all!
georginal

Postby fkb123 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:06 pm

I am planning on booking my flight through STA travel. I do not have any time restictions or need to plan certain trips so i shall wait till i get there to find the best deals for some things. I didnt say i don't have enough money, you have to have a minimum in the bank to start with anyway! I just worry naturally anyway, i think that is normal. I plan on staying in Australia for a year, possibly extending my working visa to two years. Was looking for positive advice and general tips.
fkb123

Postby Zuleika » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi fkb - I have done exactly what you are planning and I had a blast. I also worried about not having enough money, but try not too - you will be amazed at the jobs you can pick up that you would never dream of doing at home, because you know its only for a short time and its all a big adventure in anycase.
As your there for so long I defo recommend to NOT book any trips till you get there - I had 4 flights in Oz as part of my round the world package and didnt use even one of them! Instead I stayed in the hostels in Sydney and met lots of fellow travellers who were looking to share driving and petrol, I ended up with a girl and a guy travelling in a VW combi - it was brilliant fun and none of us had met before.
Believe me - things will fall into place when you get there.

Failing that Greyhound bus is the cheapest way of getting from place to place and you can meet plenty of backpackers in all the hostels partic up the East coast - travellers mecca!!!
Also - talk to people there who are travelling to get better ideas of where you want to go, you cant really have any idea at this stage, theres so much out there.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby bexonthebeach » Thu May 17, 2012 9:34 am

If you are flexible with your dates, then deffo wait til out there to book the trips. Nothing more frustrating than being locked into a prebooked trip when an even better opportunity comes up and clashes! You do need to have time time to shop around though - I booked my Whitsundays Sailing/Fraser Island camping trip combo when in Byron Bay and it took all afternoon to compare packages and negotiate on price. Worth it though, as I ended up getting a great deal!

I did the Oz Exp when there and felt it offered a good balance between flexibilty and structure - I only had 3 months and there were certain things that were must dos on my listand I knew what route I wanted to take, but the hop on hop off nature meant I could change my plans according to who I met in hostels/on the bus and new ideas along the way. Domestic flights around Oz are cheaper when booked in conjunction with your international flights, however I think I would've found them restrictive as I liked the chance to go with the flow; my plans changed more than I expected.

As for the experience itself - yes greyhound is cheaper and does the same routes (a rail pass is another good value option). and yes the majority of the crowd were 18-26ish and there was some partying. But that was done on arrival at the overnight stops, not on the actual bus, so its up to you whether you went out for a drink with the group or just did your own thing. It was nice knowing that I'd definitely have people to hang out with on the first night in a new place, just in case the hostel was devoid of people I could meet. I also liked the fact that some cool activities were included - I doubt you'd visit a working cattle station and learn to lasoo if you were travelling by greyhound, nor would you be able to stop for photo opportunities or a short hike to a waterfall along the way. Plus the tour guides were helpful, talking you through the activitiy options in each place and offering a quick 'orientation briefing' when arriving somewhere new.
bexonthebeach
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Previous

Return to New Zealand, Australia & the South Pacific