Milford Track - guided or non guided which is best?

Discover the Alpine scenery, great walks and Maori culture of New Zealand. Learn about ancient aboriginal cultures, remote islands, endemic wildlife, vast deserts and stunning beaches of Australia. Delve into the diverse islands, peoples, landscapes and festivals of the paradise known as the South Pacific.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Milford Track - guided or non guided which is best?

Postby owena » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:10 am

I am planning on doing the Milford Track early next year with some friends all of us in our mid fifties. I would appreciate any advice from travellers who have done this track about which option they prefer. At the moment we are thinking of doing the non guided walk but do have some concerns about being able to dry our clothes given the inevitability of rain

All advice gratefull received
owena
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: Milford Track - guided or non guided which is best?

Postby emblem » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:06 am

owena wrote:I am planning on doing the Milford Track early next year with some friends all of us in our mid fifties. I would appreciate any advice from travellers who have done this track about which option they prefer. At the moment we are thinking of doing the non guided walk but do have some concerns about being able to dry our clothes given the inevitability of rain

All advice gratefull received

If you are ready to go Milford track my suggestion is for you go with guided because you need lot of stuff including with you and need warm cloth such as woollen socks and blankets and raincoats and some ankle shoes therefore you all people be care full don’t suck think with out non guide you are all new comers you need guidelines for your safety like you said mid fifty so my advice is you need guide with you to make your Milford track to New Zealand memorable.
emblem

Postby jimshu » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:47 am

Sorry I missed your post Owena.
I would think that if you are going with a group, splitting the extra cost of a guide between you all, would be affordable.Not only that, but they'll be very informed of all the flora and fauna you see, and probably make your trip much more enjoyable.
As for clothing, and weather, this thread may help, with the mentioned link .
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11837&start=0&hilit=milford+track
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby owena » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:02 pm

Thanks for the help - will let you all know how we get along
owena

Return to New Zealand, Australia & the South Pacific