Seeking advice - Wellington or Auckland

Discover the Alpine scenery, great walks and Maori culture of New Zealand. Learn about ancient aboriginal cultures, remote islands, endemic wildlife, vast deserts and stunning beaches of Australia. Delve into the diverse islands, peoples, landscapes and festivals of the paradise known as the South Pacific.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Seeking advice - Wellington or Auckland

Postby elsewhere » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:06 pm

Hi guys,

I'm going on a trip to NZ in February and I have the time to go see either Wellington or Auckland. But not both! I am really struggling to figure out which one to see. I've never been to NZ so both are very appealing to me and I'm frustrated that I can't make up my mind. So I'm asking aloud to get some feedback. If you had to make the same choice, which city would you choose and why?

Thanks!
elsewhere
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Seeking advice - Wellington or Auckland

Postby lr25 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:29 pm

wellington!!
i spent one year in new zealand and i spent at least 3 months in wellington. you have loads of choice with wellington . the beach, the countryside and lots of museums ( te papa, art museum and the city and sea museum. and great night life. ( the establishment on courteney place is really good) and its huge. also if you like walking then its really good. mount victoria is right opposite the backpackers that i recommended. go to the isite and they have so many leaflets on walks all over the city.
zelandia which is a wildlife sanctuary ( mainly birds, wetas and lizards)is great for walking for hours. u honestly feel like you are far away in the middle of a forest although you are only a 15- 20 mmin walk away from the centre of wellington.
i recommend the cambridge hotel ( it has a small backpacker section and it cost me $150 a week. )
i swear any traveller that you will meet will say that they hated auckland. i have relatives who live there and i hardly spent any time there. nothing much to do.
i really hope this helps!
linsay
lr25
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Seeking advice - Wellington or Auckland

Postby georginal » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:29 pm

I'd agree, Auckland is like a big hub, a place that everyone goes to to go somewhere else, mainly becuasse the cheaper flights go there I think. Its worth doing if your there amn have time, but I'd agree with the above poster!
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to New Zealand, Australia & the South Pacific