BackPack v Suitcase

Discover the Alpine scenery, great walks and Maori culture of New Zealand. Learn about ancient aboriginal cultures, remote islands, endemic wildlife, vast deserts and stunning beaches of Australia. Delve into the diverse islands, peoples, landscapes and festivals of the paradise known as the South Pacific.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

BackPack v Suitcase

Postby lacie@32 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:57 pm

Hi All,

I'm about to embark on a 3 week holiday in Australia, traveling from Adelaide to Brisbane. What size backpack would you experienced travellers out there recommend. I was thinking 45L Might be enough?? or should I just take a suitcase. I have some trips booked but am also staying in a few hotels along the way.

Many thanks and happy travels.

Tracy
lacie@32
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: BackPack v Suitcase

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:17 am

If you're going to use a backpack, do yourself a favor and get one that opens from the front rather than the top. Typical top-loading backpacks like I use for camping are a bit of a pain when you're traveling for a few weeks.

How big the backpack/suitcase/duffel bag needs to be depends on what you take. I would probably advise at least 60 liters, possibly even 80 depending on what all you pack.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby markmol » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:41 am

hi As Explorer says go for one that open in the front, i use a Osprey Sojourn 60 Travel Pack, which is a wheeled backpack, very versatile, use it as a pack or rolling luggage.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby kcupp95 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:01 am

You don't need 80L. 45L would be plenty or carry on suitcase size.

What time of year are you coming to Aus?

You just need a couple of pairs of shorts, a pair of jeans and enough tops to last you a week, and maybe a jumper for the plane and the odd chilly day.
kcupp95
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby TravelFun » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:23 pm

I either take my 60L backpack or my 45L daypack...although I seem to be taking the daypack more often as it goes in as carry-on. Really it's what suits you and most of all you can carry it around yourself without struggling.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Return to New Zealand, Australia & the South Pacific