EABE - The Best of Eastern Europe

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

EABE - The Best of Eastern Europe

Postby magichour » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi!,

I just booked the Berlin to Budapest for October. I'm traveling solo. Anyone else going?
magichour
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: EABE - The Best of Eastern Europe

Postby cate_lee » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:23 am

The one starting Oct 20th? I'm thinking about booking it.

Wondering if it might be a tad chilly though. Would've prefer a September date but they're all sold out. :(
cate_lee
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby magichour » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:48 pm

I really like Europe in the Fall. Less crowded and beautiful. You always risk some rain or cool weather but I'm very OK with that. Fall colors and minimal tourists are worth it.
magichour

Postby whateverangel » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:17 pm

Hi -- Thinking of booking this one too. The trickiest part is determining best fly options into Berlin. Wondering if anyone is adding any days at beginning or end.
whateverangel

Postby jaysmark » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:40 pm

I'm all booked for this trip. I'm not staying any extra days, but I am taking an overnight train from Budapest to Brasov. Does anybody have a clue as to how many people are in this group? This is my first GAP trip.
Last edited by jaysmark on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaysmark

Postby whateverangel » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:52 pm

Hi! So..I'm booked now. Added a buffer day in both Berlin and Budapest. It's my first GAP too. :D
whateverangel

Postby jaysmark » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:48 am

I got a bunch of info from someone who was on this trip if anyone is interested -

Our group had 14 people. One guy didn't show. The age range was 25 - late 60's with about half around 30 and half around 50's.

We took public transport everywhere and was a mixture of buses and trains. This was great cos the tour guide organised it all so he just let us know when to be ready by and where we were going.

I specially bought a backpack http://uk.thenorthface.com/tnf-uk-en/eq ... ack-1.html and was so glad i did. Some had suitcases and they struggled since there was a fair bit of walking and getting on and off trains. If you're planning another trip then either pack really light or buy a bigger backpack.

No surprises or tips.

I wish I'd brought a pedometer just to know how much walking we did. Other than that, i had everything i needed.

No, we only stopped in Bratislava for lunch (total 3 hrs) on the way to Budapest.

The trip was totally worth it. It was a great trip with great people and a great tour guide. It was very low stress cos the tour guide did it all.

Its hard to say since there was 3 extra currencies plus euros. Most non euro countries were very cheap. Umm prob avg around 50-75 euros a day.
jaysmark

Postby whateverangel » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:53 am

Hey there. That's awesome, thanks for sharing! Looks like our group will be ~ the same size (currently says 1 space remaining). Fingers crossed for decent weather!
whateverangel

Postby floridaellen » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:17 pm

I'm signed up for Berlin to Budapest Oct 20 also - traveling alone & arriving several days early in Berlin. Would be happy to sightsee/ have a meal together before the trip if anyone is interested. - Ellen
floridaellen
User Rank: Traveller

Postby whateverangel » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:49 pm

Hi floridaellen. Nice to "meet" you..and happy to be/have a sightseeing/meal buddy. I'm Canadian -also travelling solo- and will arrive (from Munich) at noon on 19 0ct., staying at joining hotel. Just starting to do my homework and realizing I could easily have added a couple more days, there's no shortage of things to do and see in Berlin. What's on your to do list?
Angel
whateverangel

Postby floridaellen » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:38 pm

Hi whateverangel, Hey, I'd love to be a sightseeing/meal buddy. Still figuring our a to do list- Booked a room at a pension. Just now looked at the joining hotel -very nice. Will send you my email via Gap. Ellen
floridaellen

Postby whateverangel » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:47 pm

Hi fellow EABE travellers...It seems October is upon us. Just saw we'll catch the tail end of Berlin's Festival of Lights (on until Oct 20). http://www.berlin.de/en/events/2097286- ... s-.en.html which should make for some spectacular night viewing/photos (assuming I ever figure out the night mode settings on my cam :roll:
whateverangel

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge