NUSF140906: Camping Yosemite and Yellowstone - September '14

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

NUSF140906: Camping Yosemite and Yellowstone - September '14

Postby emzylou+travel_mad » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:55 am

Hi

I've been booked on this trip a while now, starting in Seattle on the 6th September! I'm super excited!! Anyone else here on this trip?? :D

Emma
emzylou+travel_mad
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: NUSF140906: Camping Yosemite and Yellowstone - September

Postby jamesrwalker90 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:09 am

Hi,

Yeah I booked back in December. Solo traveller from the UK, will be getting in to Seattle on the evening of the 5th so have the next day free before we start the tour. I am getting excited now part of the world I've always wanted to see!

Cheers,

James
jamesrwalker90

Postby emzylou+travel_mad » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:05 am

Hi!

Yes me too, I'm literally so excited! Yellowstone will be amazing! I get in to Seattle on the 4th (I booked my flight wrong!). So glad I know I won't be the only one on the trip now! :)
emzylou+travel_mad

Postby jamesrwalker90 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi,

Glad I'm not the only one too. I went to a couple of talks on Yellowstone at the weekend and it looks great - apparently September is a really good time for scenery/wildlife too. Whereabouts are you from? Not sure what plans I have for the daytime of the 6th before the evening meeting, but if you have any suggestions let me know!

James
jamesrwalker90

Postby emzylou+travel_mad » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:24 pm

So much to see I just want to get out there now! I'm from the uk as well, just moved to Scotland actually. Have you decided what to see in seattle? I'm staying in a hostel right next to pike place market, then there's the space needle etc! This is probably a stupid question but after the welcome meeting do we stay in that hotel as part of our trip??

Emma
emzylou+travel_mad

Postby jamesrwalker90 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:04 pm

Yeah its still sinking in that it's so close for me. That's cool, I'm from Yorkshire and live there at the moment but just got a job in Bedfordshire which starts in October working as a ranger in a country park. We do stay in that hotel and I am there the night before. I guess some of the general sites and maybe a couple of museums or the zoo for part of the day because I think we tour Seattle a bit on the first day of the trip.

James
jamesrwalker90

Postby emzylou+travel_mad » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:13 am

Oh wow, what Country Park is it? I'm originally from Milton Keynes, really close to Bedford!
I think the Zoo would be good, I'm sure there's too much to see in such a short space of time. Do you know what we see on our first day in Seattle?

I was considering Whale watching but I think that's quite pricey. Are you staying on in San Fran after the trip as well?

Emma
emzylou+travel_mad

Postby jamesrwalker90 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:39 pm

Its Rushmere Country Park near Leighton Buzzard, looked really nice from what I've seen! What do you do career wise? Yeah so much to see, the itineary mentions pike place market, the waterfront and Pioneer Square so a few extras in the day before would be good as well as the zoo. Looked at Whale watching I think the best sites are a couple of hours north so do able but maybe a bit ambitious for me getting in the night before. My flight is in the evening from San Francisco so have the morning free before I leave.

James
jamesrwalker90

Postby chelliflo » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:42 pm

Hi

My boyfriend and I are on this trip too, this is our 3rd gadventures trip. Really looking forward to it. We have one day in Seattle before the trip starts and a few in San Fran at the end. We are from North Yorkshire!

Rachel and Martin
chelliflo

Postby emzylou+travel_mad » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:06 am

James I think I know which park you mean! I work in renewable energy, filling Scotland with turbines! I've been looking at Whale watching and think it's a bit ambitious now too, We cover the good bits on our trip :)

Hello Rachel and Martin! What other G-adventures trips have you done? I'm counting down the days now, can't wait to meet everyone!

Emma
emzylou+travel_mad

Postby jamesrwalker90 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:56 pm

Emma, That's cool sounds like an interesting job! Yeah I am studying up American birds and mammals, my last job was surveying birds on the Isle of Man so can hopefully pick some good stuff out!

Hi Rachel and Martin, good to know you we are now up to 4 on the tour that we know of! What flights are you getting in case we are on the same one?

James
jamesrwalker90

Postby emzylou+travel_mad » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:45 am

Oh wow that sounds really interesting too! I have to do a bit of ecology work now and again and its super confusing!
I was just wondering, how are you guys going to charge cameras and phones etc while camping? I don't want to not be able to take pictures!! :)
emzylou+travel_mad

Postby jamesrwalker90 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:11 pm

Yeah too many early mornings but conservation is an interesting career - I'm getting more into the media side of it now though. I have 3 batteries for my camera and I'm hoping I can keep it well charged on the hotel nights and at campsites if the facilities are good enough. Not as worried about my phone, it will be nice to have some piece and quiet for a change! Upgrading on Friday so when I know my number for sure I will put it on here ready for next week :-)
jamesrwalker90

Postby emzylou+travel_mad » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:15 am

Oh okay, hopefully there will be electric at some of the campsites then! My camera battery is rechargeable so I can't take spare batteries or anything!

Yes do! Mine is 07715520104... In case I get lost trying to find the joining hotel or anything!
emzylou+travel_mad

Postby chelliflo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:43 am

Hi

We have been on the Costa Rica Adventure (we would go there again if there wasn't so much world to see) and Yucatan Adventure.

We fly on Friday (ash clouds permitting...eek) from Leeds to Amsterdam in the morning then Amsterdam to Seattle. One week today and we'll be on our way... woo hooooo.

Rachel (and Martin) xx
chelliflo

Next

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge