Africa Travel - Ebola Breakout

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Africa Travel - Ebola Breakout

Postby tj » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone is concerned about travelling into Africa (specifically the eastern regions) in the next couple of months due to the Ebola epidemic that is happening and has claimed 900+ lives in Western Africa? There are a couple people travelling with me in late September to October and this is a trip we have been planning for a couple of years. We are all open minded individuals and realize the vast size of the African continent, but really don't want to put ourselves in danger of contracting the Ebola virus. Wondering if anyone else is having this same dilemma - should we cancel or just go for it and hope that it doesn't worsen within the next while.

I welcome and appreciate your feedback.
tj
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Africa Travel - Ebola Breakout

Postby passionfruit » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:11 am

Hi,
In fact, we are also going through the same dilemma. This has really come as bolt from the blue. We are to travel to SA in the first week of September. Hope some concerted action could happen and help travellers to be well isolated from this virulent Ebola. If any relevant information and authentic advisory against or for travel is made available, it would help us a lot.
passionfruit

Postby tj » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:26 pm

Thanks for your reply. My husband and I are thinking that since it seems to be contained to 3 countries within Western Africa, we should be relatively safe in Eastern Africa. Our trip consists of hitting almost 10 countries and that is the reason for concern. We will be gone for almost 40 days and want to be well versed with what is happening within the continent.

Where are you travelling from?
tj

Postby kcupp95 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:07 pm

Ebola needs direct bodily fluid contact to be transmitted - so broken skin or mucous membranes (inside of mouth, nose etc) coming into direct contact with blood, secretions, organs, other bodily fluids of indirect contact with environments contaminated with bodily fluids (think toilets, hospitals, homes etc).

The direct contact locals are having with the deceased for burial ceremonies are also causing transmission.

Take lots of hand sanitizer and sanitizer wipes (for dodgy looking toilet seats!) and practice good hand hygiene.

Don't touch animals either as that's where the outbreak starts from - people handling infected or deceased animals.

I would wait and see and hope that it's contained within the next few months. The poor infection control of the infected and deceased is what's causing the widespread outbreak.
kcupp95
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby sinecure » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:02 am

Ebola in West Africa

Posted: 05 Aug, 2014 | Updated: 05 Aug, 2014
05 August 2014

G Adventures is aware of the Ebola virus outbreak in West Africa.

We do have our West Africa Cruise scheduled on our Expedition vessel for April, 2015. The cruise will continue to operate. We are monitoring the situation, and may adjust the itinerary of this cruise as details become clearer and once viable options have been fully explored.

For updates please check the safety page below:
https://www.gadventures.com/safety-updates/
sinecure

Postby andreaebriggs » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:12 am

We are doing Nairobi to Joburg leaving September 8th. Our travel doctor said there's nothing to worry about in East Africa, but take the usual precautions (mentioned above- clean hands, don't touch animals, etc). She said she would be worried if we were health care workers travelling to West Africa, but other than that you should be fine.

Like someone mentioned above, a huge part of the problem is the local customs and fear of doctors and hospitals. People removing their deceased family members for home burials and catching the disease from touching the bodies.

Also, apparently many airports scan people for symptoms without you even knowing it. There are scans that check your temperature as you go through security, and they can pull someone with a fever aside if they are concerned.
andreaebriggs

Postby drmark » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:32 pm

the outbreak is still confined to largely 3 countries. further spread of significant nature is unlikely given new precautions initiated. but i would keep away from those countries or others near them. i am going capetown to nairobi sept 7 and i have little or no concern. contracting other diseases [dengue, bilzharia, etc] is more likely
drmark

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge