ANAS140928 : Annapurna Sanctuary Sept 28th 2014

Meet travelling companions booked on G Adventures trips departing in September

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Annapurna Sanctuary Sept 28th 2014

Postby orion64 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:23 am

Hi Rob
There are Mountain Design stores in Adelaide and they are advertising specials at present, I am planning to go tomorrow with my list :D
I have been wondering if I need to look at other hiking shoes, the boots I have are really heavy and I'm not sure they are the best option for our trek. They are supportive but I feel like I am lifting a ton of weight climbing up the cliffs.
Has your friend Raph got all his gear sorted? Are you guys training together?
Our list suggests we get a Nepali phrase book...have you got one yet? I suppose you would get this at a travel book store- will have a look tomorrow.

cheers, Kate
orion64
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Annapurna Sanctuary Sept 28th 2014

Postby iroberto » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:27 am

Hi Kate,

Try to buy most of your things there and see if you could negociate a deal, sometime they can do that. And check if they have any outlet store, it will save you even more.

If you have already got the boot, then I don't think you need to buy another pair of shoes, the boots end up gonna just sit in the shoe racks. I think you just need to get use to it. You still have a whole month before you put it in the real test.

No, we didn't train together, we live quite far from each other and he is busy with his wine course at the moment. He will need to buy more gear that's for sure, but it is up to him what he wants to do. I am just giving him so suggestions.

You can get a lonely planet guide book, I think there are phrases there.

Are you staying after the trek?

Good luck with shopping tomorrow!

Rob
iroberto
User Rank: Weekender

Re: ANAS140928 : Annapurna Sanctuary Sept 28th 2014

Postby orion64 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:11 am

Hi Rob

I had my shopping trip to Adelaide today, got my sleeping gear, backpack, socks and warm jacket. I got reasonable discounts on my purchases but it was still more than I expected to pay. Anyway, at least I have good gear and I will definitely have to use it again after Nepal :D
I bought a travelite sleeping bag and took your advice and also got a thermo liner. They are very compact and shouldn't take up too much room in my backpack. My jacket is down and folds into a small pack also- I am thinking I may use this for a pillow.
I am pretty happy with my backpack, now comes the challenge of getting all of my gear into it!
I haven't got the pack for the porter yet, I am still working out what I want to put in the second pack.
I will get the remainder of my gear next week when I have to go back to Adelaide for other business.
I live at Tailem Bend which is 100kms south of Adelaide, on the main road to Melbourne.
I am heading home after the trek, but my last night in Kathmandu I will be staying at The Everest hotel, just a bit of luxury at the end of the trek :D
I fly back to Adelaide on the 13th October.
I have decided to stick to my hiking boots to save money :)
Cheers, Kate
orion64

Re: ANAS140928 : Annapurna Sanctuary Sept 28th 2014

Postby iroberto » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi Kate,

Hope you had some fun shopping!

Yeah the day bag is giving me some issue at the moment, cause non of the day bag that I have seen would be able to attach to my main bag. I guess the best way to do it is to do a packing drill, see how heavy it is. At least you will have an idea and know how big your day bag is needed. I think I goona have to take a 32L one and attached it will some carabiners. But I dont want my luggage anywhere more than 15kg. Hopefully can make it just over 10kg.

I will stay in Nepal till 23rd, Oct. One of our friend will be home at the time so hopefully he will show us around after the trek.

I can't wait to go already.... Until then, work hard and save $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Rob
iroberto

Previous

Return to September