ETTO140926 : Turkey on a budget - Sept 26

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

ETTO140926 : Turkey on a budget - Sept 26

Postby leannemcd » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:30 pm

Hi!
Anyone else going on this tour lurking on the forums?
leannemcd
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Turkey on a budget, Sept 26

Postby damo622 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:56 pm

Hi Leanne(?)

Yes I'm signed up for this trip! Just signed up a few days ago. So where are you from?

Damin
damo622
User Rank: Weekender

Postby leannemcd » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:39 am

I'm from New Zealand, I've just finished studying and thought I deserved a holiday overseas! How about you?
leannemcd

Postby damo622 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:23 pm

I'm from the States and figured I deserved a break from work! ;)
damo622

Re: ETTO140926 : Turkey on a budget - Sept 26

Postby jenlee » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:36 am

Hi Leanne and Damin!

This is my first tour with G and look forward to a nice vacation. I just finished booking my flights and was wondering if people will be arriving to Istanbul earlier or staying later. I arrive in the morning on the 26th from Los Angeles and depart in the evening on 10th.

What part of the states are you from Damin?

Jen
jenlee

Postby damo622 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:18 am

Hi Jen,

I've actually done a bunch of trips with G Adventures and they are always fantastic. It's nice to have a break from worrying about the logistics and the other travelers are always a ton of fun! Have either of you done a lot of International travel? I actually arrive the morning of the 26th as well and leave the morning of the 11th. Where does your flight go through from LA? Oh, and I'm from Minneapolis. How about you?

Damin
damo622

Postby jenlee » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:29 am

Hi Damin,

I've done some international traveling here and there but generally with a travel buddy, so I'm both excited and nervous about traveling by myself. Kinda like a my first trip to Disneyland if you can relate :D My last trip was to Vancouver BC, but if you don't really count Canada, then Iceland.

Side note, have you done the Transmongolian Express with G Adventures? I love train travel and was thinking about that when US Russian relations cool a bit.

I'm from the LA area and my flight goes through Toronto with Air Canada. Will we be meeting up? :)
jenlee

Postby damo622 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:02 pm

Hey Jen,

Of course Canada counts! I will definitely need to hear about your Iceland experience at some point....it's high on my list of places to go. And nope, haven't done the Transmongolian Express....it sounds like it would be a lot of fun, but it's also a really long time to be on a train so not sure about that.

I think we might be on the same flight going to Istanbul....I arrive in Toronto at 2:05 and then leave on an Air Canada direct flight to Istanbul at 4:25 (flight UA8704S). Does that sound like the same flight you have? That would be pretty cool....we could share a cab to the hotel when we arrive in Istanbul. :)
damo622

Postby jenlee » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:13 am

Hi Damin,

It looks like I'll be joining you on the 2nd part of your trip. I get to Toronto around 3 and leave at 4:25 as well. I'm pretty sure it's the same flight even though my flight is listed as AC810. I think it's because you booked with United from the UA part of UA8704S and I booked with Air Canada...and they're travel affiliates. You get in 9:25 am?

Great idea on sharing a cab, but I was hoping to be more adventurous and use their transportation system. Interested? :mrgreen: What were you planning to do day 1?
jenlee

Postby damo622 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:22 am

Hi Jen!

Yeah that has to be the same flight....you're right I booked through United but it's "operated" by Air Canada. And it arrives at 9:25. I hadn't really planned for anything on the first day except to wander around Istanbul. Did you have anything specific you were thinking of doing? And yeah, I'm definitely up for getting on a train or bus from the airport!
damo622

Postby jenlee » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:24 am

Hi Damin,

Great! So if we don't get lost and make it to the joining hotel all right, I was thinking about loosely doing this walking tour and exploring the NW end of where we'll be staying and stopping by here and there to people watch and have some Turkish tea.

According to Google maps, Chora Church is about 4.3 or 4.7 km from the hotel. I'm a little metric challenged, but I know it's under 3 miles. I was thinking about walking the along Fevzi Pasa Rd toward the church and then loosely follow the walking tour above which appears to follow Abdülezelpaşa Cd. I haven't figured if I'll be carrying my luggage at this point or checking to see if the hotel has a luggage check service.

I like planning because it gives me a general sense of what to expect, but a majority of the time it becomes a guideline and you never know, I might be jetlagged!
jenlee

Postby damo622 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:21 am

Hey Jen!

That walking tour sounds really great! I've also read that the place where we are staying is family run and they are very helpful in giving suggestions on where to go and what to see. Oh and these places almost always let you leave your bag there if you arrive early, so I wouldn't worry about carrying around your big bag. Are you planning on doing the hot air balloon ride? Only three weeks to go....I can't wait!
damo622

Postby jenlee » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:46 am

Hi Damin,

I forgot to check out reviews on the hotel. That's good info! Yes on the hot air balloon ride, just because all Turkish promos always has some picture of it and that means I got to try it :)
jenlee

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge