DAFD140903: Cape Town to Victoria Falls - Sep 3, 2014

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

DAFD140903: Cape Town to Victoria Falls - Sep 3, 2014

Postby blackbelt » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi,

Opening up a post for those travelling on this trip. Been on many other G Adventures trips before so hope this will be a great as the others. I will be arriving in Cape Town a couple days early to take in the sights and hopefully book cage diving with Great White Sharks.

Regards,
Michael
blackbelt
User Rank: Traveller

Re: DAFD140903: Cape Town to Victoria Falls - Sep 3, 2014

Postby eliz@beth1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:49 am

Michael
Cage diving sounds amazing. I won't be arriving until Sept 3rd. Which other Gap trips have you done? Faves?
Elizabeth
eliz@beth1
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby blackbelt » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:54 pm

eliz@beth1 wrote:Michael
Cage diving sounds amazing. I won't be arriving until Sept 3rd. Which other Gap trips have you done? Faves?
Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

I have done too many trips to quickly list as this will be the 12th group tour I've taken. Every trip has its own highlights but I went to the Galapagos Islands last year and it was a blast swimming with the Sea Lions. I hope to visit there again in the future.

Other highlights was visiting Japan which was my first G tour and crossing the Salar de Atacama in Chile which had amazing scenery in one of the most remote places in the world.

What lead you to visit Africa and select this tour?

Michael
blackbelt

Postby eliz@beth1 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:41 pm

Michael
Its a great endorsement for G Adventures that you have done so many tours. I am so excited. I made the decision to take a big trip to an unexplored continent at the same time that I decided to leave my job of 22 years and pursue something very different. What that will be is still to be determined :) I knew I wanted to go to either Asia (China, Cambodia, Vietnam) or Africa. The day that I decided to do my research G Adventures came up first when I did a search for adventure travel. I then realized I had met the company's founder a few weeks before so that felt like serendipity. Then when I plugged in my dates and length of tour that I was seeking THIS was the trip that best fit the bill. The more I researched the many locations we would visit the more I knew this was the trip. So that is how I arrived here! Did some shopping today for gear. 57 days to go!!!
Elizabeth
eliz@beth1

Postby blackbelt » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:43 am

Elizabeth,

Well if you still plan to visit Asia you can ask me about about China and Vietnam since I did tours of those and actually will be making stops in Siem Reap and China after this tour.

Africa definitely will be an adventure and confident you've made the right choice. The itinerary covers a lot of territory and we should see plenty of interesting wildlife. Will you be staying any extra time in Livingstone? I've booked an extra night at the departing adventure village before flying back to Johannesburg. Note that if you plan to return to South Africa you will need proof of Yellow Fever vaccination since Zambia is on the low potential exposure list.

Michael
blackbelt

Postby eliz@beth1 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:35 am

Michael
One more question. It seems from my research that as a Canadian the only country that requires a Visa is Zambia and that I can get it at the border. However much of the official G Adventures communication suggests you should get Visas ahead of time. Any advice?
Many thanks
eliz@beth1

Postby blackbelt » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:32 am

Hi Elizabeth,

Yes you are correct, Canadians only need a visa for Zambia on this tour. Personally I decided to get my visa from the Zambian consulate in Ottawa as this was the worry free option. Although highly unlikely there could be crazy issues like computer system failure or government worker strike at the border.

It did cost extra for a money order and mailing my passport as I used Canada Post XpressPost envelopes for next day delivery (one letter size for mailing application to Ottawa and one standard size inserted instead the first for mailing back passport, remember to get tracking numbers for both envelopes). I got my passport returned within 7 days total.

If do you decide to apply through Ottawa the visa application can be found here. Also the payee name "High Commission of the Republic of Zambia" is too long for entering on a money order so you will have to abbreviate it to something like "High Comm. of the Rep. of Zambia". You will need to decide upfront whether you want single or multiple entry where as getting it at the border will let you decide later.

Note I have gotten a visa on arrival elsewhere with no issues and based on what I've read it shouldn't be a problem for Zambia.

Regards,
Michael
blackbelt

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge