ANAS140907 : annapurna sanctuary - sept 7

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

ANAS140907 : annapurna sanctuary - sept 7

Postby s&j » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:12 am

hi my name is shirl and me and my hubby from australia are doing this tour. just wondering if anybody has done it or are planning to do this one. love some input
s&j
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: annapurna sanctuary sept 7

Postby sonnysdream » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:03 pm

Hello, I did this trip last May and had a wonderful trip. Our guide Ashok was the best, consider yourself fortunate if you have him as your CEO. The views are amazing, the food was good, I was the old man in the group and was still able to complete each days hike without feeling like hell at the end of the day :)
I can ( and have ) talk for days about the adventure I took and the one you are about to go on. any questions, feel free to ask.
sonnysdream
User Rank: Traveller

Postby jtf6 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:09 pm

Solo male traveler from California. I'll be on this trip. Can you give me a breakdown of your experience of this trip?

Also, the checklist said to bring a daypack, but I bought a full service hiking pack. Am I doing too much?
jtf6

Postby sonnysdream » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:23 pm

A medium daypack is all you need, everything else is put in a very large "duffle bag" and carried for you. You share the bag with whoever it is you will be rooming with, keep in mind that there is weight restrictions. I bought a new north face knock-off sleeping bag while I was in Katmandu and took that with me on the trail. The list G provides in the itinerary is very accurate. Hiking poles are a must. I bought a pair while there.

I found that there were plenty of well spaced scheduled rest breaks during the nine and half days of hiking. The hardest part of the hike ( for me ) was the day we ascended to base camp, the elevation gave me a minor headache that afternoon but I was fine by morning.

I recommend that you take the time to take plenty of pictures.

You are in store for a great adventure, savour it.
sonnysdream

Postby s&j » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:57 am

hi sonnysdream we did the inca trail last year with g adventures and they held our 70L hiking packs at the motel and we took day packs. is this trek the same? We had heaps of vaccinations for peru as it was our first trip overseas, did you have the japanese something or other injection, sorry i can't remember the full name. thanks for sharing it really helps and adds to the excitement.
s&j

Postby sonnysdream » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:40 pm

Yes , it is a similar set up. You will have the option of leaving a suitcase at your hotel in Pokhara and just take the "essentials" for the 9.5 day hike. I did not get any special vaccinations for the trip, I had my hep a and b shots, plus yellow fever shots from previous trips. I took malarone with me for malaria but I was one of the few who took that precaution.

Travis
sonnysdream

Postby s&j » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:12 am

thanks travis for your input. it gives us peace of mind to know we are on the right path.
s&j

Postby ambi » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:30 pm

Hello Shirl!

My name is Ambi and i'm pretty sure i'm on this trek with you! The 18 day Annapurna Circuit? I actually arrive at the hotel on the 5th September. I am a solo traveller, flying from the UK!
I have never done anything like this before and i am rather nervous but very excited!
Was really hoping to get in contact with somebody else on this trek as it would be nice to just have another contact just in case!
ambi

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge