ETTT140913: Taste of Turkey- Sept. 13, 2014

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

ETTT140913: Taste of Turkey- Sept. 13, 2014

Postby time2travelbug » Fri May 23, 2014 12:08 am

Hi. I have just booked the Taste of Turkey departing September 13, 2014. :D
Would love to hear from anyone else who has booked this trip!
time2travelbug
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: ETTT140913: Taste of Turkey- Sept. 13, 2014

Postby tenniskitten » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:28 pm

Hello,
I am thinking of booking this trip departing out of Los Angeles. I have done many GAP adventures and I have always been happy with the tours. I have always wanted to go to Turkey as there is so much to see. Where are you from? Who are you traveling with? I have to admit, I am a bit nervous about traveling to the region given what's going on in the adjacent countries and with all the airplane incidents. But I have heard so many good things about the country and its people. I am excited.
tenniskitten

Postby time2travelbug » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:43 pm

Glad to finally see someone else respond about this trip! :) I am going on this trip with my husband... we are from Toronto. Have never done a g adventure before ...or any other group organized travel actually! We have always planned and travelled on our own, in the past. Glad to hear that you have had good experiences with this company. I am also quite nervous about this destination for the same reasons that you have mentioned above...will be keeping a close eye on all of the updates. :? I also put in a call to our travel agent to be in touch with G adventures regarding my concerns with safety. Like you, we are also super excited about the itinerary and are really looking forward to visiting Turkey! My husband, unlike me, is not one bit nervous about this destination! :|
time2travelbug

Postby tenniskitten » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:43 am

I think that there might be one other couple going on the trip. Last I checked, there were 6 of us. I am very excited to go! Have you purchased your visa yet? I believe this can be done online but I haven't done it yet. Have you thought about what types of clothing you will bring? I have heard Turkey is more westernized and will definitely bring some scarves for the mosques. Can't wait for the trip. Are you doing hot air ballooning in Capadocia? Please post any information you find out from your travel agent or GAP about any safety concerns.

Thanks so much.
tenniskitten

Postby time2travelbug » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:46 pm

We have not purchased our visas yet but we will be doing that online by the end of the month. I spoke to a G adventures rep on the phone last week. She had actually travelled on the Turkey explorer trip herself a couple of years ago and had a lot of good things to say about travelling in Turkey!She said that we have nothing to worry about as far as safety, as did the rep who my travel agent spoke to. My husband spent last week with a couple of work colleagues who live in Istanbul and they also conveyed that we should not be worried about safety with this trip.
As far as packing, the G adventure rep advised that I bring a couple of large scarves to wear to cover my head and as a skirt, if needed, in the mosques. I'm not sure if you have noticed, but there is a packing list in the itinerary as well. We are going to try to pack light (the opposite of what I normally do!). Bringing one or two "dressier things" and the rest will be hiking type clothes. We are planning on doing the hot air balloon ride... it looks awesome! We have friends who did the balloon ride last summer and said that it is not to be missed!
time2travelbug

Postby AngelaTM » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:41 am

Hello! I'm booked on the Taste of Turkey Trip departing 13 September. My name's Angela and I'm travelling on my own from the UK. I'm very excited about this trip and am looking forward to meeting my fellow travellers!
AngelaTM
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby tenniskitten » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:53 am

Hi Angela,

Great to meet you. I am very excited as our trip is less than 3 weeks away. I too am on the Taste of Turkey tour starting September 13. I am happy to meet you.

Time to travel:
Thank you for the tips about packing. I too am trying to pack light and I've heard that I can always pick up a few scarves or things to wear while I'm there. I'm planning to arrive a day early as I really want to hit the bazaar. I already got my visa and am pretty much ready to go. I am looking forward to meeting you!

Safe travels and see you soon.

Lucinda
tenniskitten

Postby time2travelbug » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:11 pm

Hi Lucinda! Hi Angela! We are Jill and Greg, the Canadians. I found out last night that there is a way to communicate via Facebook, which might be a bit easier than using this forum. I have posted a message for our group on the G adventures FB page. If you care to join in, go to https://www.facebook.com/gadventures and take a look at "G meetup" under the "apps" section on the left side of the page.
I can't believe that our trip is just a little over a week away...so exciting! :)
time2travelbug

Postby bowensisland » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:17 pm

My husband and I will be on the trip. We are from Charleston, SC. We have been wanting to visit Turkey for several years and can't believe this opportunity is almost here. We are arriving a day early as well (don't want to take a chance arriving late and missing something!). We have had one other experience with G Adventures, and we were very pleased. We look forward to meeting everyone. Having fellow travelers from many different places is always fun!
bowensisland

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge