ATID130930 : Indochina Encompassed - September 30

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

ATID130930 : Indochina Encompassed - September 30

Postby 1231463 » Wed May 15, 2013 3:29 pm

Let's say hi! Looking forward to my trip and saying hi to others who will also be traveling with me. I will have one extra day in Bangkok (9/29) to explore before the "official" trip begins. Anyone else?
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: ATID130930 : Indochina Encompassed - September 30

Postby puttyland » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:56 pm

Hi - we'll see you there! We're doing the same - we'll have the day before to acclimate. I think we actually arrive on the 28th around dinner time.

I've been to Asia several times (although none of the countries on our tour), and this is my boyfriend's first trip there. I've also been on several G Adv. (and also Intrepid tours), and this is also his first time on one. From what I understand, since this tour is several shorter tours put together, we may be the few who do the whole shabang...

What's your name and where are you from? Travel a lot? Looking forward to meeting you!

Patty and Morgan
Long Beach, California, USA
puttyland

Postby paulinef » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Hi Patty and Morgan.

I heard there will be a handful of us from the US and I am one of them, living in Colorado Springs. I did take a trip to Indonesia two years ago staying with families in stilt homes on tiny fishing islands. It was great. Am flying to and out of San Francisco on the 27th arriving on the 28th. How about you?
I am probably a bit older than you are but am very active enjoying both hiking and backpacking here in Colorado.

Pauline
paulinef
User Rank: Weekender

Postby puttyland » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:27 pm

Hi Pauline - nice to virtually meet you! Wow, your Indonesia trip sounds great. I've been to Bali (which I loved), but not the rest of the country. It's on the list.

We also leave out of SFO on the 27th and arrive on the 28th. We're on United. Looks like we get into Bangkok at 11:30pm -- if it's convenient, we could share a cab or something. (I understand the train to the hotel is easy, but I don't know how late it runs.) I figure that will give me a whole day to realize just how completely exhausted with jet lag I am, and then I'll fall asleep during the group meeting (which is inevitably what happens with me--passed out at the group meeting or the first group dinner). Good thing that good coffee is everywhere on this trip!

I just posted a question in the Asia section about the optional activities. I really want to go on the Flight of the Gibbons, but I'm just afraid that I'll be too tired to hold my head up (it's a half day trip, so G Adv. recommends doing it the day before the trip starts). Maybe we can do it when we come back around to Bangkok. Morgan just finished culinary school, so I imagine we'll be taking a bunch of the cooking classes. I'm really interested in doing the elephant experience - I'm trying to get an idea of if it's better in Chiang Mia or Luang Prabang. So many choices!
puttyland

Postby paulinef » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:06 pm

Hi Patty and Morgan.

Am writing from Vermont where they arer experiencing a heat wave. Sure hope it won't be as hot and humid on our trip since it is very draining here at almost 100 degrees and high humidity, but then I am used to the drought conditions we are having in Colorado.
We will be on the same flight, so yes, let's share a cab! We will have to send each other our photos so we can recognize each other. It will also be great for me to have someone give me a hand with the currency, going through customs, etc. since it sounds like you do have experience having traveled in Asia.
Have you decided on your optional activities? I went ziplining in Costa Rica last year so wouldn't be interested in Flight of the Gibbons. I heard the floating markets were great to see and experience but I need to study our itinerary to see if we will be doing that with the group. My major interests in extra activities during our month would be biking (depending on the traffic) and walking. I also love interacting with the locals.
I got a Thai language tape from the library and have been studying a bit of thai. Would also like to learn the pleasantries of the other 3 languages, although they seem VERY difficult. How about you? Do you enjoy learning a few words/sentences in the language of the countries you visit?
Are you taking backpacks or wheeled luggage? How about malarie pills?
Yes, so many details.

Pauline
paulinef

Postby puttyland » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:14 pm

Hi Pauline,

I'm usually pretty good with languages and try to learn a few words and phrases for the trip but yeesh...these are not easy to pronounce. We live near Cambodia Town, so I asked our fave restaurant about pronunciation...they were laughing at my tries. I'll try anyway--might be just for the comedy!

I think I'm taking my small wheeled Eagle Creek backpack, and I'm assuming Morgan will use my non-wheeled backpack. If we buy too much, we'll mail it back! I'm inclined not to take malaria pills, but I'll talk to my doc when I get some "just in case" antibiotics. A few people have highly recommended motion sickness bands and/or meds for the long, bumpy bus ride in Laos.

I think we'll do the elephant experience in Laos...everything else is up in the air. We'll probably hit the beach in Vietnam...Morgan is a swimmer/surfer/former lifeguard. The rappelling into the cave/temple sounds pretty fun and Indiana Jones! We both like biking too.

You can see my pic (and past travel pix) on: http://www.travbuddy.com/puttyland, or on my work website: www.pattylund.com. Can't miss us--my hair is ridiculously curly, and Morgan is tall! Counting the weeks now--10 as of today!
puttyland

Postby paulinef » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:45 pm

Sawatdi Ka (have no idea how to spell it), Patty.
Took a log at your blog - very attractive couple. You also seemed to have led a very interesting life.
You must have read the itinerary more thoroughly than I have since I don't remember reading about rappeling into a cave, but sure does sounds exciting. One reason I chose G Adventures is because they seem to leave us more time to do our own thing than other companies I looked into. I never heard of Intrepid.
I shouldn't have difficulty in recognizing you when I get to San Francisco.

Pauline
paulinef

Postby alison1234 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:31 am

Hi Patty, Morgan & Pauline

I am doing this trip also and really looking forward to it. I arrive in Bangkok on 28th early evening and have a transfer with G adventures booked. I have also booked the culinary theme pack and the adrenaline junkie theme pack. I have never been on a G adventures tour but have had recommendations from both friends and travel agents.
In response to questions about Malaria tablets I was recommend to take to cover the time in Laos only.
Looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks

Alison
alison1234

Postby puttyland » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:15 am

Hi Alison! Where are you from? Nice to virtually met you as well. We didn't sign up for any of the theme packs, but we will definitely be in the cooking classes with you!

Our travel health clinic said there are malarial mosquitos in the Mekong between Thailand and Laos, so she suggested I start taking the pills to cover that time as well, and in Cambodia, if we go to any of the temples outside of the main temple complex of Angkor Wat (the main part that everybody sees doesn't have any, but if we take a day trip to some of the others, then it's an infected zone apparently).

See you soon!

Patty
puttyland

Postby alison1234 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:11 am

Nice to meet you virtually Patty! I'm travelling from Australia via Japan. I am having 2 weeks in Japan before I fly to Bangkok and join the SE Asia tour. I have never been on any group tour holidays so good to chat before we get there. I will send you a private message with my photo. I have looked at your travel blog so will hopefully recognise you in the hotel before the tour officially starts.

Alison
alison1234

Postby paulinef » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi Alison.

Good to virtually meet you too. Sounds like you will be arriving a bit earlier than the three of us from the US (close to midnight). I haven't booked any theme packs so it looks like I will have to figure out what to do when I get there, but since our meeting isn't until late on the 30th, we should be able to connect at some point.

I plan on taking melfloquine for malaria prevention. There are several medications out there but this is the one my doctor recommends. You take it for a couple days before the trip, every day of the trip and for a couple days on return.

Please send me a private message also and I will do the same.

Pauline
paulinef

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge