China on a Shoestring - 4/08/14

Meet travelling companions booked on G Adventures trips departing in August

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

China on a Shoestring - 4/08/14

Postby megz1993 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:46 pm

Hiya,

Was just wondering if anyone was doing the China on a Shoestring - Beijing to Hong Kong tour departing on the 4th August?
I'm getting in a day before, travelling over from Edinburgh to Dubai to Beijing on the 3rd, just hoping to find out anymore people going on the same trip and where everyone is heading from :)

Be great to hear from you guys,

Thanks

Megan x
megz1993
User Rank: Weekender

Re: China on a Shoestring - 4/08/14

Postby cabs90 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:41 pm

Hi Megan,

I am going on this tour as well! I arrive on the 3rd August as well, flying from Heathrow to Hong Kong, then up to Beijing. What time does your flight land?

Caroline xx
cabs90
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby megz1993 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 am

That's great news I was beginning to think no one was coming on this trip haha. I'm arriving in Beijing at 3.10pm on the 3rd, staying in the same place as the tours beginning hotel, The Home Inn. Time you getting into Beijing at? :) xx
megz1993

Postby cabs90 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:25 pm

Yes it is nice to know of someone else on the tour! My flight arrives at 17.30 and I'm also staying at the starting hotel that night - we should meet up then! I can't wait, wish August would hurry up :) Do you live in Edinburgh?

Caroline xx
cabs90

Postby megz1993 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:18 am

Yeah we defo should, could go for tea or a walk something when you get settled or we have pretty much the whole day after if we are shattered. I know feels so far away I'm just trying to organise myself to occupy me till then like visas and stuff. Im from Dundee an hour or so away from Edinburgh whereabouts are you from? :) xxx
megz1993

Postby cabs90 » Sat May 17, 2014 11:15 am

Sorry for the late reply! Yep sounds good :) I live near St.Albans in Hertfordshire, so quite close to London. Me too, the whole visa thing is confusing me though. Do you know if we need a letter of invitation first? And how do we get one?! xx
cabs90

Postby megz1993 » Sun May 18, 2014 8:34 am

Yeah I'm just as confused with the visa, glad to know I'm not alone haha. I'm going to STA travel to pay everything off this week and ask a bunch of questions so if they can tell me what to do I will pass it on :) xxx
megz1993

Postby cabs90 » Wed May 21, 2014 6:32 pm

Aww thank you :) Yeah I said I would do it myself but I am thinking that I might just sort it out through STA as then I know there won't be any problems! xxx
cabs90

Postby megz1993 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:26 pm

Hey Caroline,

Just wondered if you have sent your visa yet? I did the form for my LOI about 2 weeks ago but still haven't received any response from G adventures, getting anxious just want to get the visa out the way haha

Megan xxx
megz1993

Postby elen » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:41 pm

Hi
I did this tour last year and it was amazing, you'll have a great time! Thought I'd help you out with the visa. The letter of invitation can be the hotel confirmation and your paperwork from G confirming you're on the tour. I just sent photocopies of them with my visa application and everything was fine. Make sure you have swimsuits for the mud springs in Yangshuo, which by the way is the most breathtaking place! And if you can afford it do all the optional activities, especially the acrobatics show in Shanghai, wow!! Take a spork with you and a plastic mug, all the trains have hot water on tap and the pot noodle type things are great on the trains as well as a cup to be able to have coffee when you wake up! Have a fantastic trip and if you have anymore questions just give me a shout! Oh, and go to The Brick House in Hong Kong, great place for a night out. x
elen
User Rank: Traveller

Postby cabs90 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi Megan,

I got my LOI through today and am going on Friday to get my visa sorted. What about you?

Aww thank you for the advice Elen, that's so helpful! I was wondering about clothes actually - are they strict religiously/culturally or can you just wear sensible clothes because obviously it will be very hot! And did you take walking shoes/trainers or will sandals do the job? x
cabs90

Postby megz1993 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:35 pm

Thanks Elen, been really hoping I could find out first hand what it was like from someone who has been. Not long now at all, getting excited :) Managed to get my visa done thank you, had a few issues trying to get my LOI from gadventures at first but STA sorted it out for me, sent the application away a week or so ago and got it back last Friday so that's one more thing out the way to do. Yeah the questions Caroline asked are the exact same ones I was going to ask too haha xxx
megz1993

Postby elen » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:15 pm

Hi Megan
There are no strict rules on the clothes at all, just make sure they are cool and that you have a pair of light jogging bottoms to wear and sleep on the overnight trains. You will need walking shoes/trainers/walking sandals (the velcro type) to walk the wall and to do many of the activities such as the cycling, hiking and kayaking. Glad you've got the visas sorted! Will be thinking of you in the sun and heat while I am in minus conditions in Peru/Bolivia, leaving at the end of the month!! Really hope you get Jackie as your tour leader, she was absolutely great! Have an amazing time and again if any question pop up, just gimme a shout! x
elen

Postby megz1993 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:49 pm

Hi Elen, thanks so much for the help :) haha that sounds amazing too, are u heading off to machu pichu? I've always fancied that xxx
megz1993

Postby cabs90 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:27 pm

Thanks Elen, that was very helpful :) One more question, how much money would you recommend taking? I know it varies for different people but a rough guide would be great!

Megan - I think I will buy some walking sandals to take as it will be very hot. Just trying to decide on the best ones...
cabs90

Next

Return to August