Trekking Mont Blanc

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Trekking Mont Blanc

Postby brkln » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:53 pm

Hi! I'll be on the August 10 version of this trip, anyone else?
brkln
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Trekking Mont Blanc

Postby jtadams » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:17 pm

I just booked it for August 10 as well. It'll definitely be the toughest hike I've ever done, but I can't wait! I'm from the southern US but just moved to Ireland a few months ago -- unfortunately most of my trail supplies got misplaced along the way, so the next couple of weeks will be spent trying to grab as much gear as I can get. :)
jtadams

Postby want_to_travel_314 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:19 pm

I am on the Aug 1 trip... any special preparation you guys are doing for the hike?:)

I found a lot of good info in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1295

Need to check the dossier they are referring to!:)
want_to_travel_314

Postby jtadams » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:47 pm

Right now I'm just trying to get my gear in order. I found this site to be pretty useful:

http://www.walkingthetmb.com/preparation.html

The list mostly mirrors the suggested items from GAP, but it goes into a little more detail about why things are important.
jtadams

Postby brkln » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:29 pm

Thanks for posting the list! Looking forward to meeting you. :) Are you bringing warm weather gear? Also, have you guys found the "sleeping sheets" listed on the Gadventures packing list? the closest thing I've seen is a sleeping bag liner, which doesn't seem right, but I also don't want to carry a real sheet.
brkln

Postby jtadams » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:59 pm

Yep, they can be used either as a sleeping bed liner or as standalone sheets. I've seen a lot of people recommending this ebay seller in Vietnam as they're by far the cheapest around:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Silk-Lin ... 0590161831

I wasn't sure if they would arrive in time (or even if they ship to Ireland), so I went ahead and picked one up locally for quite a bit more.

As for warm weather gear -- originally I'm from Alabama so there's no way it's going to be that warm for me, haha. I'm taking three t-shirts, two long sleeve shirts, two pairs of hiking trousers, a fleece top, and my waterproof jacket. I have a terrible habit of packing too much, so I'm really trying to force myself to go light this time. Of course that's not too hard when I know I'll have to lug it up mountains!
jtadams

Postby want_to_travel_314 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:17 pm

thanks @jtadams for posting the gear list! really helpful!
want_to_travel_314

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge