Cape Town to Victoria Falls, 2013 August 21

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Cape Town to Victoria Falls, 2013 August 21

Postby everou » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:56 pm

Hey,

Does anyone have already booked for this trip? It would be nice to get to know where you guys come from.
I'm come from Quebec city in Canada, first time in Africa!

Eve
everou
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Cape Town to Victoria Falls, 2013 August 21

Postby michaelpal » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:29 am

Hi Eve I'm Michael from Perth Australia. The trips coming up quick and I'm really looking forward to it.
michaelpal

Postby kimrich » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi Eve & Michael - I'm Kim from Sydney, Australia. Only 9 weeks or so to go - I'm really looking forward to this trip! Southern Africa has been on the wishlist for a while. My Dad is coming along too as well as a couple of friends from Brisbane who I met travelling in Turkey some years ago.

Either of you adding on to the trip once it finishes in Vic Falls?
kimrich

Postby michaelpal » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:49 am

Hi Kim

Was lucky enough to be in Sydney recently and saw part of the Vivid festival around Circ Quay.

Arriving 1 day early to possibly do a shark tour. Flying home straight after.
Hoping others from the tour will also be interested in the shark tour.

Cheers

Michael
michaelpal

Postby kimrich » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:55 pm

Hey Michael,
How'd you'd find the Vivid Festival? We went into Circular Quay a couple of weeks ago to check out the lights etc and to see an exhibit at the Museum for Wildlife Photographer of the Year (was hoping to pick up some tips for photos in Africa!).

I was originally looking at doing the shark dive, I've heard it's amazing but I didn't think I'd have enough time. I fly in at 8pm on the 20th so the next day we're doing a half-day trip to Table Mountain before heading back for the evening meeting.

I've got an extra night at the end (in Vic Falls) and then fly into Jo'Burg before spending 4 days in Kruger, then back to Jo'burg for a day and home!

Cheers,
Kim
kimrich

Postby michaelpal » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:22 am

Hello again. Enjoyed the festival apart from the rain. Only saw the light show. Not sure there was more. Took some pics on phone. Wish I'd taken my DSLR.

Hope we can learn some photo skills from each other and especially the group. I imagine most people will have cameras. The animals and vistas should be a good challenge.

Cheers Michael
michaelpal

Postby everou » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:00 pm

Hi Kim and Micheal,

I will arrive 1 day early too and if the weather is good I really would like to take some good pics at the top of the Table Mountain.
Kim, did you already book your half-day trip?
I checked on there website and unfortunately the cableway will be closed for maintenance...
I heard that there's an easy way to go on the top of the Lion's Head and the the view seems to be nice too.
Micheal, Good luck with the sharks! I also really like scuba diving, but that would be too much adrenaline for me!

I will have to come back in Canada right after the trip for work.

See you,

Eve
everou

Postby kimrich » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:51 am

Hi Eve,
Yes, we've already booked just a little 3 hour city tour. It's through an Australian wholesaler called Infinity Holidays (which are linked Flight Centre if you want to see if the Canadian branches have a similar thing on offer). I believe it covers the city centre, Malay Quarter, Company Gardens and time permitting Table Bay for photographic opportunities, a Diamond works and the Castle of Good Hope. In hindsight I wished I'd allowed more time in Cape Town - aside from the Shark dive, I'd have liked to have seen Robben Island and visited Stellenbosch which I've head is pretty worth while.
Our flight gets in at 8:25pm on the 20th ... when do you arrive?
Looking forward to the trip and to meeting you both!
Kim
kimrich

Postby everou » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi Kim,

I'm supposed to land at Cape town on August 20 around 10:00 in the morning. I'll probably take a nap in the afternoon to recover the long flight.
Thinking to book with a guide to climb Lion's Head and enjoy the sunset, especially since it will be almost full moon.
The next day, I'll maybe do a Harbour cruise into Table Bay to take in the panoramic view of Table Mountain from the water. I have nothing booked until now. My travel agent has the email address of one of the front desk employee of the hotel, I think book with them.

I look forward to meeting you and your friends,
Just 5 more weeks...

Eve
everou

Postby michaelpal » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi Lou and Kim
I'm hoping to be on a boat ABOVE the water to take photographs of the white pointers.
Hope you'll have organised your vaccinations.

Take care

Michael
michaelpal

Postby kimrich » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:43 am

Actually Michael - I had a friend do the shark dive last year and he said the best photos and the best view is from on the boat not in the cage ... so I'm thinking you'll have some great photos to show us once the tour starts! :)
kimrich

Postby michaelpal » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:16 pm

Thanks Kim. I'm not getting in the water with the Great Whites. Hope I get some photos to show.
michaelpal

Postby the_travelgirl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:04 pm

Hi everyone- I'm Tawny from Portland, Oregon, in the states. I'm actually on the Cape and Namibia trip which is the first 12 days of this tour-- thank you Michael for pointing that out for me!

I'm actually arriving in Cape Town 3 days early (late Aug 18th) and plan to do a few tours, the Cape Point peninsula/penguins, and perhaps one to Bo-kaap neighborhood which is a spice/cooking tour. If anyone has interest in those happy to let you know about them- am likely booking through the concierge desk at my hotel, the Westin.

Eve, you mentioned possibly hiring a guide to hike to Lion's head, do you have any information about that or would be interested in company? I'd love to see it and was disappointed the cable way is closed for maintenance. Also curious about harbor cruise perhaps as well.

Kim I spent a year living in Sydney, it feels like home to me :) Look forward to meeting you all!
Tawny
the_travelgirl

Postby kimrich » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:21 am

Hi Tawny, sounds like you'll have plenty of time to check out Cape Town! I would've liked more time there as there's so much to see but I opted to tack on 4 days in Kruger N.P at the end instead ... sadly there is a limit to how much time I can get off work :)
I've been over to the States a couple of times but not to Oregon unfortunately but I would like to return perhaps in 2015 to visit New York and then head up into Canada to see friends in Toronto. Less than 4 weeks to go now, looking forward to meeting you. This should be an amazing trip!
kimrich

Postby chrisglover85 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:29 pm

Hi all,

My name is Chris and my future wife Danielle and I are booked on this trip for our honeymoon. It has suddenly crept up on us and I can't believe we're only a few weeks out now! This will be our first trip to southern Africa, having only been to Egypt before so we're really excited to fulfil what's very much a dream trip.

We're from Toronto, though I'm originally from the UK and moved to Canada about three years ago.

I see a few people are interested in shark tours so just to let you know, we're booked with Apex Predators on Tuesday 20th for a full day tour which includes a trip to Cape Point and Boulders Bay. The trip is a bit pricey but they seem to have a good reputation and their founder has taken some of the best photos of the Great Whites 'breaching' out of the water as they look to nab a seal.

Really looking forward to meeting everyone in a few weeks!

Chris
chrisglover85

Next

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge