Best Of The West - 31st August. LA to LA

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Best Of The West - 31st August. LA to LA

Postby hambro » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:10 am

Hello,

Me and my friend Emily are joining this tour and can't wait!
Let us know if you're coming too.
We don't have a clue what type of bag to take - Backpack, suitcase!?! Heeelp!

See you soon :-)
Hannah and Emily
hambro
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Best Of The West - 31st August. LA to LA

Postby seannam92 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:48 pm

Heyyyyyy!

Im Seanna, 21 from Ireland and il be on this tour too! There's 2 of us joining on as well CANNOT WAIT!!!! :D
I haven't found anyone else on our tour but its fully booked so that's a good sign....Look forward to meeting youse wooooo! :D oh and I'm bringing a big rucksack but haven't a clue what to put in :shock: - camping and going out in Vegas? Help hahah

See yas in a few months!
Seanna :)
seannam92

Postby hambro » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:12 am

Hey!
Im so glad we've found someone else on the tour!!
Im 22 and Emily is 25, we're from Norwich.
Yeah we're thinking of big backpacks....not sure how we're going to fit in Vegas party clothes in amongst sleeping bags and camping things!
Our travel agents told us theres some people from Australia joining us as well so should be a good mix :)
I actually cannot wait! These next few months better go quick!
See youse soon :D
hambro

Postby mcgeeks07 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:33 pm

HEY!
Im Conor from Ireland, i'm travelling with Seanna. We've decided on large rucksacks, but im not taking any camping equipment. That can be purchased out there. Really just concentrating on shorts T's and a few polo's/shirts.
We can't wait going out a few days before and staying a few days afterwards. Making the most of this trip.
As long as i have Money clothes and a passport then ill be happy :D :D :D
mcgeeks07

Postby semily mcburke » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:45 pm

Hey,
I've just come back from the Best of the West tour and absolutely loved every minute. It was the most awesome trip :D , even better than I expected so you guys will love it im sure! Just a tip...with regards to camping equipment, i took a headtorch which is an absolute must - when you camp in places like the grand canyon it is literally pitch black at night with no lighting, obviously the CEO has camp lights at the table but to get to the toilets/showers or even just to find your tent and find stuff in your tent it is really handy so definitely take one! Also, a few girls on our trip didn't take sleeping bags and although our CEO happened to have som spares I'd definitely recommend taking your own as they're expensive to buy out there (but some nights you may not even need it anyway as it can be too hot in some places to need one). Also definitely take some sort of hiking shoe/boot. There's not much chance of completing a Grand Canyon or Yosemite hike without - especially Yosemite as it is extremely rocky and uneven in some places on the hike. Another tip is don't take suitcases as they are a pain to pack into the trailer and put in the tents so a large rucksack is what we used.
Sorry for crashing your posts guys...just when I was going I wish I'd had more handy tips as I had no idea what to expect and a few people on our tour were very under-prepared. If you want any more tips or anything I don't mind helping :) If not have an awesome time...I wish I was going again!!
x
semily mcburke

Postby hambro » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:35 am

Hey Conor :-)
Me and Emily are thinking backpack and maybe a holdall.....depending how well packing goes!
Thanks for your help Semily!! So glad the trip is going to be amazing.
So, whats it like?! Does the travelling in the van get pretty tiring? Will we need a jumper or anything whilst camping at night?
We were thinking of going to Alcatraz whilst in San Fran - I dont suppose you went there at all?
Do you get much time to explore on free days?
what about Vegas?! Was the hotel you stayed in on or near the main strip?
So many questions!!!
Look forward to hearing from you!
hambro

Postby semily mcburke » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:38 pm

No worries! The travelling in the van surprisingly was ok! The longest journey was probably 9 hours but it didn't feel like that coz everyone has a laugh or sleeps for a bit and the scenery is usually worth looking at so it never got boring!
I would take a hoody/jumper as in San Fransisco on the day we got there it was only 16 degrees and misty and we all wore a jumper and something on our legs. The last day camping in Pismo Beach was very cold, everyone put jumpers and layers on whilst we were eating and then sleeping in the tents it got very cold that night so i suggest taking a hoody, a pair of thick-ish socks and maybe a thin long sleeved top...that's what i did and i didn't need anything extra. I also took a sleeping bag liner and sometimes just slept in that rather than the sleeping bag as some places were still too warm for a sleeping bag at night.
Alcatraz...yes I was told by someone who had been to San Fran before to book Alcatraz a few weeks in advance as it books up very quickly, so I booked mine and my friends tickets online 2 weeks before the trip. When we got on the trip we were the only ones who had booked in advance and the only ones who could go coz it had completely sold out! (one guy on our trip was gutted coz he really wanted to go so he got up at 4.30am and went down to the pier to get a ticket on the day coz they sell some that people have returned) so if you really want to go definitely book now! The website I used was http://alcatrazcruises.com/ it is the official website.
On free days you usually get the whole day to yourself...sometimes the CEO will have something they recommend but its up to you whether you do it...we did all the things she recommended though and im glad we did coz she showed us some really cool stuff! In Vegas we got there late afternoon, we'd all booked on a party limo for the evening and did that as a group coz the CEO recommended it...DO IT! It was so much fun :) The next day was a free day and me and my friend did our own thing all day and didn't see the group till the day after. So you do get free time where you can do what you want to do. We stayed at the Stratosphere which was off the strip but only took about 10 mins to get to the strip by bus. On our free day we just used the Deuce bus which was $8 i think for a whole day pass and it was really handy. Vegas was awesome by the way!! Definitely one of my favourites!
The CEO, providing they are as good as the one we had, will tell you everything you need to know, and will show you some awesome places hopefully!
If you have any more questions feel free to ask :)
Sam
semily mcburke

Postby hambro » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:00 am

Alcatraz is booked! I think Im sorted now........except for packing!
I tried to practise the other day and I cant get everything in my back pack!!!
You say not to take a suitcase......Is this because you have to hike to the campsites from the vans?? Or is it just because its awkward to get them in the vans?
Im tempted with just a little one or a hold all along with my backpack.....Last minute panic!
I spoke to the travel compnay about the wildfires in Yosemite at the moment, apparently if they get worse they'll just take us somewhere similiar instead. Hopefully we'll be okay.
See you guys soon :-)
hambro

Postby semily mcburke » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:06 pm

The suitcase advice was coz generally they are awkward. Like awkward to fit in tents coz there'll be 2 of you to a tent, rucksacks/holdalls are easier to squash in, and awkward to pack in the trailer if they're big, and there's limited space in the trailer. You don't need to hike anywhere with your bag, just obviously from the airport to the hotel etc. Im so jealous! You'll have loads of fun! :) I really hope the Yosemite fires clear for you coz it is an amazing place!
semily mcburke

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge