Kenya & Tanzania Camping Safari - August 25

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Kenya & Tanzania Camping Safari - August 25

Postby cunninghams » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:52 pm

DKTW starting Nairobi 25 August: Our family of 6 from New Zealand - all adults - are booked in on this safari and are very excited and looking forward to our adventure. Anyone out there booked on the same? Kim
cunninghams
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Kenya & Tanzania Camping Safari - August 25

Postby mpbkn » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:26 pm

Hello Kim, I will also be joining this trip. Traveling alone, from NYC. 3 weeks away!
See you in Nairobi.
Michael
mpbkn

Postby cunninghams » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:46 am

Hi Michael - great to hear from someone! Count down is on :D
cunninghams

Postby mpbkn » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:40 am

So can I ask you Kim (or anyone else on our team) - have you gotten visas in advance for Kenya and Tanzania? I read on the US Dept of State website that you can pay for a tourist visa at the airport in Kenya, but then there was confusing (contradictory?) information about if you would need to pay a 2nd time upon entering Tanzania. I'd like to avoid drama in advance if I can, as I'm sure we all would :-)

Thanks, and see you all in Nairobi in 10 days!

Michael
mpbkn

Postby cunninghams » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:08 pm

No, we haven't got visas in advance. Just doing it at the airport when we arrive. I understand it's US$50. I understand that when we enter Tanzania, we will just do it at the border. I don't imagine any problems. US$50 again - it's a different country. I do have the form (Kenya) that we will be filling out at home first - hoping it just may speed things up at airport. If you want a copy, email me and I'll send you one. kimandwill@orcon.net.nz
Cheers
Kim
cunninghams

Postby mpbkn » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:40 am

Thanks Kim. I will likely be doing the same for Kenya, but since the Tanzania consulate is very close to my office I am in the process now of getting my visa. One thing (which may only apply to USA) but the cost is US $100 (not US $50).

Not sure of your arrival schedule, but I should bein Nairobi early AM on the 25th. Was thinking about visiting the Giraffe Center or elephant orphange or Nairobi NP during the day before the meetup. I will email you during the week to see if any of your group might like to come with.

Michael
mpbkn

Postby cunninghams » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:02 am

We are actually seeing the elephants and giraffes on the 25th. Elephants are only open from 11.00-12.00pm to the public. We have organised a van and driver and have a spare seat (although probably the small one between the driver and the passenger) that you are welcome to join us. He is picking us up at 8.30am. Give me an email for details. Kim
cunninghams

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge