Absolute Peru- 15th August

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Absolute Peru- 15th August

Postby thetibbs » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:47 am

Hey,

Anyone else here booked onto the Absolute Peru trip beginning 15th August?

I am really excited right now... would be cool to chat to some others who are going before hand...

Terry :D
thetibbs
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Absolute Peru- 15th August

Postby tshortill » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi Terry - my name is Tim and I'm from Toronto, Canada. Yes, I'll be on the Absolute Peru trip Aug 15. Very much looking forward to it. I've found some great tips and and good info on this Board about what to take and not take.

Tim
tshortill

Postby thetibbs » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:26 pm

Cool, nice to hear from you, Tim.

I'm from near London, England and am 25. This is the first time I've done anything like this.

Did you get a pass to do the Inca trail? I think I have missed out so will be doing the Lares Trek instead.

Also, are you taking Malaria pills for the jungle, if so, what kind? there seems to be a lot of different kinds and I've had different advice from a nurse and a pharmacist- will be double checking again with them but thought I'd ask what you're doing with that.

Thanks.

Terry
thetibbs

Postby tshortill » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:27 pm

yeah, first time for me too.

nah, didn't sign up in time to get a permit for the Inca Trail. So will be doing the Lares Trek with you. Although, from everything I've read, and a friend who did the Lares Trek a few years ago, I'm told it is a far better experience than the Inca Trail.

with regards to malaria pills - I am going to see a doctor to seek advice. I have no clue as to the differences between the options.....I did ask a pharmascist about the altitude sickness and was advised to bring some pills for that. Which I probably will.

what are you thinking about in terms of a sleeping bag and a walking stick? I think I may just rent them there, so I don't have to carry them around for the rest of the trip.
tshortill

Postby thetibbs » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:56 pm

Ah cool, yeah I think the Lares trek will be cool- from what I've read you get to see Macchu Picchu earlier in the morning / at sunrise which is meant to be nice and less crowded and you're less tired having had a night in a hotel beforehand- so that seems cool.

No worries about the pills advice- think I have it sorted. I was advised to get Chloroquine or another type which I forget now which are cheap and can just be bought over the counter, just to cover mainly the two jungle days. I think I'll get the altitude sickness pills aswell, is it diamox (Acetazolamide) you're getting?

Think I'm gonna take my own sleeping bag but hadn't thought about walking stick, will probably just hire it when I'm there as may not use it again if I bought one- not sure...

Terry
thetibbs

Postby maria27 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:51 am

Hey

I'm doing this trip too - will also be doing Lares trek and have heard the same thing, that it's more picturesque and less busy than the Inca Trail (although that's amazing too).

Really looking forward to it!

Maria
maria27

Postby maria27 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:02 am

Hey again

Just reading your posts and with regard to altitude sickness tablets, I wouldn't take any. I did Everest Base Camp earlier this year and was advised against taking them, more often than not you just need to make sure you're drinking plenty of water (headaches disappeared pretty quickly after a few mouthfuls of water) and we won't be spending many days above 'altitude' (3500m) which is when, if you're going to get symptoms, it will happen. Of the 23 of us that went, only two people got serious symptoms, so it should be fine. One guy did take them before travelling and experienced severe problems with his eyesight for several days - the tour guide should be able to advise on if/when to take them, Diamox is pretty serious medication because of the side effects, so shouldn't be taken like pain killers - more a last resort.

I hope that doesn't scare you, it will in all likelihood be fine - as I say, most of us were fine. Knackered obviously, but fine! ;-)

Maria
maria27

Postby thetibbs » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi Maria,

Cool to meet you, where are you from?

That's actually really good advice about Diamox- I was literally gonna get them and take them every day but that sounds bad about eyesight problems, so you're probably right that it's better for a last resort. It's tough to know how they will affect you.

I will probably get them and take them with me for the trek just in case although I've read of people buying them in Peru as well. Would hate to not be prepared and ruin it by being sick when they could help. But thanks for the warning.

So you are a lot more experienced than Tim and I with travelling! Everest must of been great.

Terry
thetibbs

Postby nato » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi Terry, Tim, and Maria,

My name is Natalie and I'll be travelling with you next month!

I'm 21 years old from Toronto, Canada. This is the first time I'll be taking a tour such as this, or travelling solo. I will also be doing the Lares Trek - I'm happy to hear that I'll be in good company.

Looking forward to chatting with and meeting you all,

Nat
nato

Postby maria27 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:05 am

Hi all

I'm from Beckenham, just outside of London so will be flying out from Gatwick via Madrid on 13 August. I'll arrive in Lima very early on 14 August, so have booked the additional night in the hotel, but will have a day to explore Lima, unless I'm shattered from the travelling ;-)

I'm really looking forward to this trip, it's going to be so much fun.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Maria
maria27

Postby tshortill » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi everyone - I am arriving very early on the 15th. I am not sure we have any pre-arranged activities that day. I am told that Peru is famous for its cuisine - wondering if we should plan a nice dinner and drinks that evening?

also - out of curiosity -what type of clothing is everyone bringing? I'm trying to balance hot vs cold vs the size of my backpack.
tshortill

Postby thetibbs » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:17 am

Hey Tim, Maria,

Hi Natalie.

I'm arriving late on the 14th, flying from Heathrow via Atlanta, so will see you guys when I see you...I'm not sure what happens on the first day either, I guess we'll find out at the hotel.

Dinner and drinks that evening sounds nice, will be interesting to try some of the cuisine. Are you preparing much Spanish for the trip? I know very little so hoping it won't be too hard to order things. I read that a lot of people in the cities speak English.

On clothes, I think I'm mainly going to be taking 'hot' clothes- I have some thermals and gloves / hat for the trek but not sure whether I'll need those in the day or just the night (how cold will it be high up in the day?) and then will have a good few jumpers, warm socks etc. for evening / night times too but you may not want to go on my advice on that...although can always buy a mad multi-colour alpaca sweater there if we need more though I guess... :lol: :D

Getting closer to the trip now... exciting...!

Terry
thetibbs

Postby maria27 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:02 am

Hi all

Not long now!!!!! How's everyone feeling? I'm very excited and also starting to panic that I don't have enough time to pack/do everything - it's been a busy few weeks!!! Must focus!

Any thoughts on using mobiles? I fully intend to not bother with internet/mobiles etc, we did this in Nepal and it was amazing to be out of it for two weeks, but do feel that I should have some point of contact. I've never bothered with international SIM cards before, so have no idea about where to get one (here or in Peru) of what option is best... any advice would be welcome.

Also, around currency, I'm thinking of taking USD and exchanging it when I'm there, but don't really want to carry three weeks' worth of cash with me.

It's really boring when you start to think about these things, I've just been super excited about all the wonderful places we're going to and what we're going to get to experience until now!

Looking forward to meeting you all in Lima! Woo hoo!!
maria27

Postby maria27 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:15 am

PS regarding clothes, I'm taking pretty much what we took for Everest. It'll get pretty cold at altitude at night, it's winter when we're there so will be looking for up to -20. So we're talking thermals/base layers as a must, a couple of fleeces (it shouldn't be too cold during the day), we don't know if the accommodation will have heating in some of the remote places. Then t-shirts/vest tops, hiking trousers which zip off to become shorts if needed, waterproofs (even if it's not raining, they're a good wind breaker/help retain heat), maybe a couple of nicer things to wear in the cities. I'm hoping we'll be able to wash some things at the hotels as I don't think I can carry enough stuff for three weeks (especially considering the diversity we'll need), and still have enough room for souveniers etc.

I've also got a pair of down slippers - they're amazing, like little puffa jackets for your feet. I took them to Everest (and started a bit of a trend, I told friends who were going that I had them and they all bought some too!) and it was so nice to get rid of the hiking boots for the evening once you've finished trekking for the day, they've got a durable sole so you can still wander round outside - I went to the pub in them at 3500m in Nepal. Everyone laughed at me, but I think they were secretly jealous. Ha ha!
maria27

Postby thetibbs » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:04 am

Hey Maria,

Yeah crazy how it's crept up and very exciting! also wracking my brains about packing and final things I may need... the toiletries / medical bag is quite weighty!

I too was planning on ditching the mobile and internet etc. don't want to spoil the experience by connecting to the outer world but I read online that you can get Peruvian SIM cards out there although not exactly sure to be honest. I also read there are a lot of internet cafes in Cuzco and Lima, so may go into one of them at some point to write home.

Currency: yeah I got some USD but mainly plan on using a currency card I got and if that runs out, my other bank cards at ATMs. So will probably use cards for the restaurants in cities and cash for getting souvenirs / food etc. in the more out of the way places.

Thanks for your packing advice. It's difficult trying to pack for three weeks of such diversity but keep it minimal- think I need more warm stuff in there. Will definitely need to do some washing at some point as can't carry three weeks worth.

Lol your slippers sound cool, will be interested to see them!

Terry
thetibbs

Next

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge