ELIL130727: Iceland Local Living July 27, 2013

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

ELIL130727: Iceland Local Living July 27, 2013

Postby roadrunner » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:31 am

I'm a 33 year old American woman from Phoenix doing this trip solo, and I'd like to connect with others on the trip before we arrive. This will be my third Gadventures trip; the other two were fantastic, and Iceland has been on my list for a while, so I'm very excited. I'm actually going to Canada next month to visit a friend I emailed with before we met on a Gadventures trip to Italy. I hope to meet some other great people on this trip.

Also, I'll be in Reykjavik the day/night before the trip starts if anyone wants to meet up. I'm planning to stop by the Blue Lagoon on my way in from the airport, and then I have a 1-hour puffin watching trip scheduled for the afternoon.
roadrunner
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: ELIL130727: Iceland Local Living July 27, 2013

Postby care_okon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:35 pm

Hey there! My friend and I will also be joining you in Iceland on this trip! We're both from the States as well (Detroit and Chicago) and are in our early thirties. I personally have done a slew of G Adventures trips, mostly solo, so I'm excited to see how this will be a bit different. We both arrive on the morning of the 27th. :)

Cheers,
Carolyn
care_okon

Postby roadrunner » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:59 am

Hi Carolyn!

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply... I forgot that this forum doesn't send you an email when you have a response.

I'm happy to hear from someone else who's going! And although I love meeting people from all over, it's nice to have another American or two on a trip. Last time I was the only one. :-) Looking forward to meeting you and your friend!

Brenna
roadrunner

Postby care_okon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:39 pm

Brenna,

Looks like I'm in the same boat - I hate that this doesn't email you when a reply has been posted, and I've totally forgotten to check! All I know is that the more I keep reading about Iceland, the more I wish it was July :)

Just a few months to wait!

-Carolyn
care_okon

Postby jenfrommelbourne » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:13 am

Hi,

My name is Jen and I'm doing the 27th July living local Iceland trip too. I'm from Melbourne, Australia. Looking forward to meeting you all. I'll be in Reykjavik 2 nights before our tour starts.

Not long now :)

Jen
jenfrommelbourne

Postby roadrunner » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi Jen!

My flight arrives at 9:30am on Friday the 26th. I'm doing a one-hour puffin watching tour with Special Tours (http://www.specialtours.is/home/) at 2pm, but aside from that, I'm totally free. I would love to meet up that afternoon/evening to do some exploring, have dinner, and maybe even check out the famous Reykjavik nightlife. It would be nice to have company! (There's probably even space on my puffin tour if you want to join in on that, too.) My email address is brennayursik@yahoo.com. We can exchange a little more info about where we're staying, etc. rather than putting it here for the whole world to see!

Carolyn, it's too bad we won't get to meet you and your friend before the tour starts, but I'm looking forward to seeing you then!

Brenna
roadrunner

Postby hats » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:55 pm

Hello, everyone
My name is Heather, I am from London, Canada.
This is my first G Adventure tour. I am in my thirty's and will be traveling solo.
I will be arriving on the 26th in the morning and doing a horseback riding tour.
I would love to meet up both of you Brenna and Jen.

Sorry Carolyn for the confusion, I meant Brenna.
I am looking forward to meeting you and Amy.
Last edited by hats on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
hats

Postby care_okon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:10 pm

Hey all!

I'm bummed that my friend Amy and I aren't coming in earlier to meet you guys ahead of time. Oh well - we'll just have to make the best of it while actually on the "tour".

Only a week and a half to go - very exciting!

So, what do you ladies think - should I pack a hair dryer or do you think there will be one there for us to use?

-Carolyn
care_okon

Postby asipsma » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi Ladies,

I'm Carolyn's friend Amy and I'd like to take this chance to formally introduce myself and say that I'm so excited to meet everyone and explore Iceland together. I'd also like to point out that Carolyn is horrible at math and that I am NOT in my 30s. I am 29 and will be so for the next 2ish months. Haha, I'm clearly not ready for the next decade.

My first G Adventures was last year in Morocco and loved every minute of it! I've typically been a solo and fast-paced traveler so I'm really looking forward to being in 'one' place for the whole time. And enjoy the hot tub facilities.

This puffin trip sounds awesome! Carolyn, why did we not think of this?

See everyone in 11 days!

Amy
asipsma

Postby roadrunner » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:02 pm

Yay! So good to hear from all of you!

Regarding the hair dryer, my plan is not to take one. I might just get by without one (living in super dry Phoenix, I usually just let my hair dry on its own and then flat iron it), but I'm sure that if you need one, there will either be one there or you can pick up a cheap one somewhere. (Not that anything is cheap in Iceland, but how expensive can a hair dryer be...? And then you can donate it to the house. :D)

I've done one Local Living trip before (Amalfi Coast, Italy), and I learned that it can still be as fast-paced as you want it to be. I did a ton of hiking on that trip. (Which was fortunate, because I also did a ton of eating. They fed us an amazing four-course Italian meal every night.) One of the many reasons I like Gadventures is that I can still get some exercise while I'm on vacation!

Heather, I'm going to email you in just a second here...

Can't wait to meet you all! Just a few more days to go!
roadrunner

Postby paulvweinstein » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:44 pm

hi all,

Single traveler looking forward to the tour! I will be arriving on the 23rd and looking/thinking about some things to do before the tour starts. I can be reached at paulvweinstein@yahoo.com.

Look forward to meeting you all.

Paul
San Francisco, CA USA
paulvweinstein

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge