ETAT140727 - Absolute Turkey - July 27th

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

ETAT140727 - Absolute Turkey - July 27th

Postby mariex2 » Mon May 26, 2014 8:16 pm

Hello,

We are two collegues/friends from Quebec city (Canada) excited to go on the Absolute Turkey tour from July 27th to August 10th.

We can't wait to meet you !

Mélanie and Anne-Marie
mariex2
User Rank: Weekender

Re: ETAT140727 - Absolute Turkey - July 27th

Postby sarah.nz » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:35 pm

Bonjour Mélanie and Anne-Marie!!
Comment ca va?
I just read your post, and I am excited to say I will be on the same tour!
I'm from New Zealand and I can't wait to meet you and everyone else!
I have signed up for the hot air balloon ride! :D
Hope to hear from more of you soon too!
Sarah :)
sarah.nz
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby mariex2 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi Sarah,

Ça va très bien !!

We're happy to hear from you :)

School ends for us next wenesday (we are two teachers, Melanie teaches science and I, Anne-Marie, teach history) ! We'll have time to relax before our trip.

We have not yet made arrangements for the hot air balloon ride, but it seems like something amazing to do !

We'll get our electronic visas this week.

Have you travelled with G Adventures before ? I did twice before : in Japan and in Eastern Europe, and they were wonderful trips !

I have been to Australia as an exhange student when I was in grade 11. I really liked it !

See you soon,
Anne-Marie and Melanie
mariex2

Postby sarah.nz » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:18 am

Bonjour Anne-Marie et Melanie!

Ah, oui! Très bien!! Do you teach at high school level? I have several friends who are teachers :)

I am a pharmacist by training and have been working in Regulatory Affairs for the last few years.. :)

So you finish on Wednesday for summer break? How long do you have off work?

Anne-Marie, you will need to help me with my history when we are in Turkey!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed the G Adventures trips to Japan and Eastern Europe! This will be my first G Adventures tour.
Are you traveling anywhere else this time?
I'm doing a 3 week Topdeck tour in Eastern Europe after our Turkey tour! :)

Please feel free to email me, Sarah.young.nz@gmail.com

sarah.nz

Postby wander360 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:46 am

Hi Everyone!

I'm Kaylee and I'll be on the same tour as well! I'm a student in New York and it's my first time traveling with G Adventures, so it's good to hear that someone's had good experiences with them in the past!

To Mélanie and Anne Marie, I spent the first 5 weeks of my summer in Quebec City!!! I was learning french at Laval, so I'm excited to meet you guys :)
wander360

Postby sarah.nz » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi everyone!
It's getting closer to trip time!
Hi Kaylee! Nice to meet you online! ;)
Yes, my first trip on G-adventures too! I've been to NYC twice already and can't wait to go again! I look forward to hearing what I should do in NYC on the next trip there too!
I'm currently in San Francisco staying with my cousin. Slowly making my way to Europe!
Talk soon!
sarah.nz

Postby mariex2 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:11 pm

Hi Kaylee,

It's very nice to hear from you ! Tu vas pouvoir continuer à pratiquer ton Français avec nous :)

Laval university, that's where I've done my studies !!

I've been to NYC twice this year : once with a friend on school break and the other time with Melanie and our grade 10 students at the end of April.

Yes, it's getting closer everyday to departure time.
Our vacations started last week, and Melanie and I are enjoying every moment. I went running by the river yesterday and I saw Melanie there too, she was cycling :) In the next few days, the people in Quebec city will enjoy the Festival d'été de Québec, which is 10 days long worth of concerts. It's crazy ! Laday Gaga will be there Friday night, Deadmaus next week, Billy Joel and Brian Adams are also some of the artist that will perform. Then, we'll have time to relax back and be ready for our trip.

Have a nice week !
Anne-Marie and Melanie
mariex2

Postby laurenfitz » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Lauren and I'm also going to be on the Absolute Turkey tour from 27 July. I have signed up for the hot air balloon ride too!

I'm from Sydney, Australia and will be on the tour by myself. I have never done a G Adventures tour before. After the tour I'll be spending a few extra nights in Istanbul before meeting my friends from university in Vienna. We are travelling around the world for six months. I am sure Turkey is going to be the perfect start to my trip!

I look forward to meeting you all :)

Also, my email is fitzpatrick.lauren028@gmail.com if you want to chat!

Lauren
laurenfitz

Postby mariex2 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:48 am

Hi Lauren,

Nice to hear from you !

I went to Australia in Grade 11 as an exchange student. The family I was living with was from Canberra, and I'm still in contact with them, even 15 years later !

You have a nice trip coming !!! I went to Vienna 2 years ago, and I love it. It was the departure city of the Eastern Europe trip I've done with G adventures 2 years ago.

See you soon,
Anne-Marie and Mélanie
mariex2

Postby mariex2 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:59 am

Hello everyone,

A question that you might youself too : backpack or suitase ?

We have both and have traveled with both in the pas too.

With my previous tours, I have wondered about that question also, and finally took a rolling suitcase (medium size) and didn't regret it ! Around 3/4 people on my tours had rolling suitcases.

It is written in the informations that we'll be going around with a private van ... buth then it is also written that we have to be able to walk with our stuffs for approx. 15-30 minutes.

What do you think ?

Thank you,
Anne-Marie and Mélanie
mariex2

Postby wander360 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:03 pm

So nice to meet everyone online first before the trip!

I was in Australia for a short 6 day trip with my family almost two years ago, and I loved it! I really want to stay in Australia for a while in the future :)

I heard about the music festival in quebec when I was there!!! I was so sad that it wasn't when I was there :P Seems like everyone has already done a lot of traveling even before our turkey trip! I'm currently in Taiwan visiting my family before headin back to the states and then to Europe :)

I'm bring a suitcase just because I can't stand being strapped into a backpack all the time :P I'll also be traveling to Rome before the trip and then Israel afterwards!
wander360

Postby mariex2 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:23 am

Hello everyone,

Kaylee, you are travelling a lot too !

Our travel agent, who has been to Turkey twice, also recommended travelling with a suitcase to this country.

Yes, we are enjoying the Music Festival here in Quebec city ! It's amazing !

See you soon,
Anne-Marie and Mélanie
mariex2

Postby davez » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:35 am

Hello All,
My wife, Tammy, and I and our good friend Lee will be seeing you in Istanbul. It's our second trip to this amazing country and we can't wait to see more. We look forward to meeting all of you soon. Thanks to Anne-Marie and Melanie for raising the issue of suitcases vs packs. I noticed that the recommendation of clothing is light (3 to 4 days worth) in a backpack. If time is as tight as G has said and the sights are as amazing as I expect, I really don't want to spend an extra minute doing laundry inside - I can do that at home. Any suggestions for packing?

Take care and safe trips to Istanbul,

Dave Z
davez

Postby mariex2 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:23 pm

Hello Dave, Tammy and Lee,

To hear that you are going to Turkey for the second time is great news !

Melanie and I are leaving Quebec city Friday, and we can't wait !

As for packing, we are trying our best us too, not wanting to make laundry also. The weather will be very warm ... We'll fit what we can in our small-medium size suitcase.
I've travalled with G Adventures twice before, had approx the same amount of stuffs and it was not a problem carrying it around. I might have gone up and down the stairs (no elevator) 3-4 times. Otherwise, it was nice just to roll down the streets.

See you in Istambul sunday !
Anne-Marie
mariex2

Postby davez » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:44 pm

Thanks again to you, Anne-Marie, for the feedback. We also leave on Fri and get in Saturday evening. A friend of ours from Turkey has recommended an amazing restaurant for Saturday evening. It is the Sarnic restaurant and reservations can be made online at http://sarnicrestaurant.com
It is in one the underground cisterns that the Emperor Justinian made famous. There is no electricity allowed, so all illumination comes from candles. It is supposed to be absolutely beautiful. We are staying at the Centrum on Saturday and the restaurant is a 6 minute walk.

Cheers,
Dave Z
davez

Next

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge