XVRPNX130728: Realm of the Polar bear - 29 Jul 13

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

XVRPNX130728: Realm of the Polar bear - 29 Jul 13

Postby patriciaw » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:17 am

Hi,

I recently booked myself on the above trip and getting really excited as the date gets closer. Would like to hear from other travellers who are on the same trip...any tips or recommendations :) :)

Thanks
Patricia
patriciaw
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: XVRPNX130728: Realm of the Polar bear - 29 Jul 13

Postby dawnt » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:14 pm

Hi Patricia

Have just arrived home late this afternoon from the In Depth tour which was brilliant. If you have any spare time in Longyearbyen the Spitsbergen airship museum is well worth a visit but you need a couple of hours to do it justice, we were a bit short on time on Friday as it doesn't open until 11 am. It's also worth visiting the Svalbard Museum, they stock a phenomenal amount of books on artic explorers, Svalbard, maps etc etc so if you are interested purchasing any of these.... We brought the cruise handbook for Svalbard (but after the cruise!) at 249 Kr it was a bit pricey but a good reminder and informative about the areas we visited. Longyearbyen is quite a small town and easy to get around.

If you have fat calf muscles go for the shorter length wellies when selecting your size in the mud room and wear leggings with thermals (I struggled with my fleece lined trousers so was glad that I had leggings to use) or take a pair that fit you and allow you to wear a couple of pairs of socks.

If you are overnighting in Oslo on they way back home and want your luggage with you, make sure at Longyearbyen check-in you only have it checked in to Oslo. For some reason we were the only people who got our luggage checked in all the way through to Heathrow so had to find out what was going on at Tromso as our luggage wasn't on the baggage claim when we had to clear Norwegian customs. We then just about made it back on the same plane to Oslo. At Oslo we had to go to Baggage service to get our luggage off loaded which meant we were hanging around for an hour while they tried to find it, my husband's case was found quickly but mine had already gone into locked secure storage.

The G staff were all excellent and worked really hard with the daily itinerary especially when they had to change their plans because of weather to ensure that we got the best out of the trip.

Hope you have a fabulous trip and a successful cruise.
dawnt

Postby patriciaw » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi Dawn,
Thank you so much for the feedback. I am counting the days....5 more to go.
Glad you mentioned about the baggage thing as my flight is 4:45am (I must be crazy to catch a flight at this time :D ) as will most likely be half asleep. But wanted to spend some more time in Oslo. I will surely look around Svalbard as have half a day to spare.
Thanks
Patricia
patriciaw

Postby dawnt » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:26 pm

Hi Patricia

Oh how I wish I was going on the trip again.... Poor you the 4:45 flight we went for the 14:45 much more civilised but it did mean we got one last trip on the Zodiac to the dock, the earlybirds got to walk the gangway ! If you get the combo of John Kernan as expedition leader and Thomas Roder as Captain you will certainly have a super time as we did. I'm sure you will also find your fellow passengers very interesting.

Dawn

ps have you got room in your luggage for a stowaway?
dawnt

Postby patriciaw » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:37 pm

Hi Dawn,
Thanks again...almost there, on my way to Oslo airport shortly :D .
I'll let you know who leads this trip...
Patricia
patriciaw

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge