AFRICA - CAPE TOWN TO NAIROBI 16th June - 26th July 2013

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: AFRICA - CAPE TOWN TO NAIROBI 16th June - 26th July 2013

Postby nicole1989 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:05 am

I loved camping for 6 weeks in Europe. Defiantly appreciated my bed after though. Haha I actually bought a mattress for this tour. Not that it's needed but the one I got is awesome I think! It's even got a pillow top. Feels like you're sleeping on a bed. Haha yes, it's a camera between compact and slr. I'm a total armature, hoping to get some good shots though :-)
nicole1989
User Rank: Weekender

Postby cjhale » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:08 am

Hey,

We both have Snugpacks, it tiny and go down to 5C too. We also have a bridge camera with a pretty good zoom, make sure we catch the safari animals even if they are far away! But I'm sure we can all share the photos at the end!

We already bought table mountain tickets online (cheaper) they last 14 days from the date of booking, so we could join you guys on the 16th too!

I'll message you guys our numbers and Facebooks so if wifi works it would be a lot easier!
cjhale
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby nicole1989 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:32 am

Hey!

Got your inbox. Will reply :)

Had no idea what a snug pack was. Wow! They pack down tiny! I've got one probably two thirds bigger, some aussie brand. I wanted a new pack and sleeping bad but didn't really need it.

Yeah, for sure! I've got my SLR. It's a tad bulky though. Got that, and an underwater camera too.

Whereabouts did you buy the tickets from?

That's awesome! We'll all go. Say 10am at reception? That's when Dee will there too.

I'll add you both on Facebook in two days. Haha, I deactivated so I don't get distracted during exam period. But this Africa trip has got me distracted enough! :D
nicole1989

Postby cjhale » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:06 pm

An underwater camera will be really cool, we have missed loads of oppunitys to get some underwater snaps.

We got the tickets from http://tablemountain.net/buy_tickets/

We will try and get to reception for 10am, but we have to get from the other hotel and checkin first, but I'm sure it will be fine!
cjhale

Postby cjhale » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:19 pm

Aso looks like we could share a taxi there for around 33 Rand, so around 50p (0.87 AU$, 0.61€) each, not bad!
cjhale

Postby nicole1989 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:11 am

hey!

Not sure how much we'll be swimming there, but it's good to have when you might get a bit wet. Victoria Falls and the swamps.

Just bought my ticket :)

That's fine! Anytime around there! I forgot you're not there the night before. Hopefully we can get in contact before then either via phone or Facebook (I'll add you tomorrow) if not, reception can call my room.

Hmmm, that's heaps cheap! Although, I think they're jack up the price because we're tourists! Haha

Also, have you guys exchanged money?! I haven't yet! Hmmm... I was thinking of getting $200 American and then doing the rest there. They accept American dollars in most places (I read that)
nicole1989

Postby cjhale » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:22 am

I'm sure it will come in useful at somepoint! We plan on getting a dive in at somepoint in either Lake Malawi or Zanzibar, are you (or anyone else) certified?!

Apparently we can get Rikkis taxis, they are cheap and clean and have fixes prices for a lot of places so won't screw us over!

We literally just changed money today (cost us a fortune to get them from pounds in Australia). We got US$200, mostly for visas as we couldn't get them before as we have been away, and we will just get some Rand out when we are there, along with the local currencys along the way. We get taken to places we can get/transfer money. A lot of the smaller shops will only take the local currency, but I think a lot of the tourist activites will be USD.
cjhale

Postby nicole1989 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:56 am

I've never been diving in my life! haha, I think I'd be scared! Will give it a go if there's a beginners things...

Sweet! Sounds like you've done a bit of research, I'll trust you :)

Yeah, same thing I'll do then. I'll get $200US. Seems like every country has their own currency. Damn. Everything in Australia is expensive! I only noticed it when I travelled!
nicole1989

Postby cjhale » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:24 am

If you wanted to give it a go, most dive centres offer a "introductory dive" where you have a little lesson before then go down with an instructor... It's amazing! Lake Malawi is supposed to be one of the best locations in the world to dive!

Yea Austrailia is so expensive! We had such a shock coming here from Asia! Hostel cooking all the time for us :(

Flying down to Sydney tomorrow for the stopover before the gruelling fight :(
cjhale

Postby nicole1989 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:53 am

hmmm....think I might try it.... it's funny...I've been skydiving but the thought of diving really scares me. It's like a whole other world down there! I'm fine swimming at beaches..but diving freaks me out a bit! haha

It is! But, I guess we get better pay to compensate. for tourists though I think it's a rip off.

Hope you guys have a safe flight and enjoy the trip! I have the identical flight, just leaving Saturday so I know what you're in for...Ah.... not long now!!
nicole1989

Postby irishdee » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:50 am

I'm packed and ready to go guys! Safe flights to everyone and will see you for table mountain . I have everyones numbers! I fly from Dublin to London tomorrow, then onto Cape Town! ahhhhh so excited!!
irishdee
User Rank: Traveller

Postby nicole1989 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:54 am

Hi dee! See you soon! Have a safe flight :-) did you buy your ticket off the website?
nicole1989

Postby irishdee » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:34 pm

Yep, I bought it online this evening Nicole so I'm all set :)
irishdee

Previous

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge