PQG130526: Quest of the Gods - May 26, 2013

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

PQG130526: Quest of the Gods - May 26, 2013

Postby jmchan » Thu May 02, 2013 9:48 pm

I am from Ontario and am looking forward to this trip. I wonder if it's a good idea to exchange Peruvian currency before departure or will I get better exchange rate while in Lima? Also, is it advisable to wear hiking boots to the Amazon? I read somewhere that we have to bring our own toilet paper, especially to the Amazon. Any advice is appreciated.
Jan
jmchan
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: PQG130526: Quest of the Gods - May 26, 2013

Postby sonnysdream » Sat May 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi Jan,

I am from Nova Scotia and I did this trip a couple of years ago. You will not need hiking boots while you are in the jungle portion of this trip. It's always advisable to bring your own TP :) I can't remember if I needed it while at the lodge but you definetly will need it on the Inca Trail.

I brought US currency with me, I used that for tipping the guides while at the lodge and exchanged it when we got to Cusco. Be aware that most if not all vendors will refuse torn US currency. Bring lots of money, I bought a few sweaters for family and friends and wished I had bought several more.

On your first full day you will get up early and fly into Puerto Maldonado. There you will store some of your luggage ( the items you will need in Cusco and on the Inca Trail ), do yourself a favour and explore the grounds as there are lots and lots of monkeys on the grounds.

Enjoy your adventure

Travis
sonnysdream
User Rank: Traveller

Postby jchan » Mon May 06, 2013 11:22 pm

Thanks Travis for your advice. Are the sweaters expensive? The guidebooks also mentioned that Puno area is famous for shopping for knitwears. What's your view? As I won't be trekking the Inca trail, I'll go to Machu Picchu the easy way via train, should I bring a suitcase or backpack?

Jan
jchan

Postby sonnysdream » Tue May 07, 2013 10:21 pm

The sweaters found in the markets are not expensive, i think I paid somewhere around $20.00. But they are not 100 % alpaca. Our guide took us to a clothing store that sold the real stuff and I paid a $100.00 more for the real stuff. This was in Cusco. the markets in Puno were around the same price. The market in Cusco was bigger.

Take a suitcase if you don't plan on doing any hiking. I would advise taking a small daypack as well.

Travis
sonnysdream

Postby jchan » Sun May 12, 2013 8:50 pm

Thanks for all your informative suggestions. I'm counting the days.
Cheers, Janet
jchan

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge