XVQCSX130309 : Quest for the Antarctic Circle - March 9

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

XVQCSX130309 : Quest for the Antarctic Circle - March 9

Postby argylepaul » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:48 pm

Hi. I'm Paul from London, but originally from Cornwall, UK. I'm 48. I am missing two weeks of Coronation Street and EastEnders (British soap operas) to go on this trip, so Antarctica had better be good! :lol:

There are loads of other trips on here, but curiously not this one. So, It looks as if I am the only one on the boat - either that or it's just not happening, and someone's run off with all the money I saved from my 247 paper rounds.

It might even be too late to post for a response. But just in case I'm not the only one on the trip, why not log on and say hello? If there aren't enough people going perhaps we can get together a few oil drums (empty) and some string and see if we can't build some kind of raft to get us there. Just a thought! I am aware there isn't much wood in Tierra del Fuego, so I am happy to bring some planks of wood from my garden shed in the UK. Should fit in my rucksack and be able to go as carry-on hand baggage. BTW. That's only if the boat doesn't want to take us. I find wooden spoons make great paddles, and they can certainly fit in hand luggage.

Of course, travelling is the greatest thing, and I have seen and done my fair share, but never have I been so excited as I have been for this trip. I booked it over 18 months ago, but now it's almost here. It's true to say I will miss home, especially all the talk of the horse meat scandal, but someone's got to go to Antarctica.
It would be great to hear from anyone else who is going. Don't be put off by the fact I am rubbish at cards or telling jokes, or that I like Coronation Street. If you aren't from the UK or Canada (where Corrie is debated in Parliament :P ) then you might not know what I am on about.

So...who else is going?
argylepaul
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: XVQCSX130309 : Quest for the Antarctic Circle - March 9

Postby suzyg » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi Paul,
We're also going on the trip (and are also from London) so we're now up to a grand total of 3 passengers ... and I was never expecting luxury but I sincerely hope we don't have to resort to a wooden raft with spoons as paddles!
We weren't quite as organised as you but I have been looking forward (definite understatement!) to it since booking it 6 months ago .... I cannot believe it is so close now. My husband and I are travelling to Argentina this weekend which means that we thankfully have 4 weeks of no Corrie but hopefully this amazing trip will make up for it :)
Looking forward to meeting you (and some other passengers!) on the 9th,
Su
suzyg

Postby argylepaul » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:38 am

Hi Su. Well, we now have the minimum (3) for the trip to go-ahead, so that is good news. I don't think it was ever in doubt. I am sure there might be one or two others going who we just don't know about.
I do hope they don't give us stickers with our names on. Chances are, the sticker will just get lots of fleece fluff on it, and just drop off, and if you multi-layer, that's when it can get complicated.
Assuming 95% of the over 50s are quite forgetful, then the sticker system makes good sense - if done properly.
That said, I am far more comfortable with the bag-on-the-head scenario (in this case, I would choose one of those foil insulating bags) just in case they can't get the heating to work on-board.

Enjoy your time in Argentina before the boat leaves. What are you planning on doing?
Are you off to Perito Moreno? If you are in B' Aires for the whole time, and If you haven't been before, then may I recommend the day-trip to Colonia in Uruguay?
If you and/or your husband are fascinated by Corned Beef culture, then the town of Fray Bentos is a must-see. I went there in October 1996, and had the whole place to myself (except for the guide and lots of rust). My girlfriend at the time, didn't want to go.
You probably have already thought of all this (including Fray Bentos) - but just in case!

Have a fun time whatever you both choose to do, and I will see you on the boat.
Paul.
argylepaul

Postby eccles-cake » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:27 am

Hi Paul & Suzyg
You can also count us two in (Ian & Debi) as well (now were up to 5). We're from Manchester, Salford to be exact, proper Corrie country, but you'll be glad to know we hate it with a passion :twisted:!!!
We've been looking forward to this (well Debi has as I'm a bit apprehensive about being seasick :mrgreen: ) since Oct 2011. We leave this Sunday for 4 days in Buenos Aires then 10 days Hiking in Patagonia.
We'll be having a go at packing tonight, trying to get under the 15Kg limit, don't think it’s gonna happen though, especially with those planks and oil drums!
See you on the boat Paul and Suzy maybe see you in BA.
Ian & Debi.
eccles-cake

Postby sewinghen858 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi fellow travelers! I am Lorraine and I too, was beginning to wonder if anyone but me was going on this great adventure. I am from San Diego CA so this will be totally different weather. Although I grew up in a place where winters were really cold - the mountains of southern Utah. Paul - I love Cornwall! Especially enjoyed the "Flower Festival" in Helston in the spring. And I love London as well. Been there several times and look forward to returning sometime. One nice thing is that we share a common language (kind of). Just a few different expressions!! Tell me what I missed on Coronation Street! (Not sure exactly where that is but sounds interesting!) Most of my ancestors were from England and Wales so I guess I can claim "kinship". Anyone going on the "End of the World " Train before we board the ship?
sewinghen858

Postby argylepaul » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:56 am

Hi Ian and Debi. Good to hear from you. You are going to have such a brill time in Patagonia, and what's particularly good about that is, when you come to the end of your time down there, you will be ready to join the boat for...Antarctica!
See you onboard.

Lorraine. Hi. Coronation Street is a British institution. It's like 'Dallas' but without the oil and hats, though when it first started in 1963, the 'Corrie' women folk wore hairnets in the public house. There is also a car mechanics garage (shop to you) where there are probably engine oil stains on the forecourt.
The nearest the soap gets to JR Ewing is character Ken Barlow. The obvious similarity is that both are male. Ken has also has numerous extra-marital affairs, though he is not known to be a psychopath or wear a large stetson. I don't think Ken even wears a flat cap (type of hat). Unlike JR, Ken is dull and pompous, but probably better read. Ken likes nothing better than to do the crossword.
EastEnders is like Dallas, but it's set in East London. Hope this clarifies things :)

Glad you enjoyed Cornwall. A great county! Hope you enjoy the train in Ushuaia and see you on the boat!
argylepaul

Postby rovingmedic » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:52 pm

Hi everyone,
I will be accompaning my ageing Mom on this trip. Visiting Antarctica has been on her bucket list for the last 30 years. As an avid photographer, I'm looking forward to capturing some memorable images of this amazing trip.

I'd like to know if any fellow passengers are geocachers. I'm hoping to be able to log at least one, if not more, of the 8 caches located on the Antarctic peninsula. I was also thinking of setting up an event on board. However the deadline for creating an event during the trip is fast approaching.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Unfortunately, I don't follow Eastenders or any other soapies but am eager to talk about photography, caching and travelling in general.

Cheers, Shaun
rovingmedic

Postby sewinghen858 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:58 pm

Oh good! A photographer! If I need help with some settings for my new camera that I am trying to learn all the ins and out of it, are you up to giving suggestions? Aging Mom? I wonder if she will be one of my roomies as I am a solo female traveler of older years. (Not old mind you, but not really young either!) I couldn't find anyone wanting to do this adventure with me and it was on my "bucket list"!
sewinghen858

Postby rovingmedic » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:18 pm

Hi,

Yes my mom is in her mid 70s. We booked a twin share for ourselves. Not sure if that will change. I'm sure you will be assigned an appropriate roommate.

I'm more than willing to give you tips on your camera. Just be sure to bring the manual with you. I'm quite familiar with Nikon DSLRs and Canon compact / superzoom cameras, so should be able to figure things out if you get stuck. This will be my first real experience shooting in snow, but I'm sure I will get the hang of it. I have been doing some reading on the subject.

Looking forward to meeting you.
Kind regards,
Shaun
rovingmedic

Postby sewinghen858 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:05 am

My new camera is a Cannon Power shot SX50. the manuel that I copied from the supplied disk is 222 doubled sided pages!! Weights a ton so don't think I will bring it! But I bought a condensed "CheatSheet" from a a camera site that is supposed to get me through most issues.
But getting good color is really important to me. So I will be interested in what you know about that issue!

Now - what is a geocacher?
sewinghen858

Postby rovingmedic » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:10 pm

My mom has an SX20, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find my way around the SX50, If you are bringing a computer, smart phone, tablet or storage (hard drive, memory stick) with you, then just load the PDF version of the manual. Bringing a paper copy is not worth it.

From what I've read, getting good colour is about adjusting the white balance and pushing the exposure a little so that the white snow appears white and not blue or grey. Being familiar with how to adjust these settings or using the beach / snow program scene mode will help.

Geocaching is a modern day treasure hunt using GPS technology. You can learn more at http://www.geocaching.com/ or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching
rovingmedic

Postby rdofeku » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:27 am

Shaun,

Glad to hear we'll have a photographer on board. We just bought a Nikon Cool Pix P510 and aren't going to have much time to learn how to use it. Particularly, we hope to have enough darkness and solar flares to see the southern lights. We did the Arctic cruise (Norway-Greenland-Iceland) in 2011 and had a lot of conflicting information regarding photographing the northern lights. We borrowed a Nikon SLR for that trip from our daughter-in-law.

We are from the NW part of the US.

rich and gwen
rdofeku

Postby helenw » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:39 am

Hi everyone,

Mum (Gwyn) and I are also booked on this trip. We both forgot to register here and meet our fellow travellers! We are from Australia - Melbourne and Adelaide - but we were both born and grew up in the UK; Essex to be exact.

This trip has been on our list for several years, after a failed attempt to make it about 8 years ago. It made it back to the top of the travel list... and here we are. We are only doing this trip this time, with a few days in BA after, as we have spent time in South America before.

Not many days to go now... see you all soon!

Helen
helenw

Postby travellinghappy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:01 am

Dear sewinghen858,
I have a Canon SX50 and have just returned from Antarctica.

IMHO it was the perfect camera. It performed brilliantly and the zoom was just unbelieveable - I was capturing photos of things other people only saw with binoculars.

Just a few small tips:
1. I do not recommend having the video set to widescreen/letterbox format. When a whale is breaching or a penguin porpoising (i.e. anything with up/down movement), you don't want to lose the top/bottom of image when the animal jumps unexpectedly out of view. Have it on regular.
2. Take advantage of the sports setting when wildlife is moving - this shoots 10 frames in rapid sucession and give you a better chance of capturing a great shot. However, if you use this, I recommend turning off the playback feature which shows you the photo after you've taken it. Otherwise it will playback the 10 shots to you again, when all you want to do is take more!
3. I didn't have any problems with the battery running out - it held up well. However, as with any other camera in the Antarctic, keep a spare battery in an inside pocket.

Have fun!
travellinghappy
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby argylepaul » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:32 am

helenw wrote:Hi everyone,

Mum (Gwyn) and I are also booked on this trip. We both forgot to register here and meet our fellow travellers! We are from Australia - Melbourne and Adelaide - but we were both born and grew up in the UK; Essex to be exact.

This trip has been on our list for several years, after a failed attempt to make it about 8 years ago. It made it back to the top of the travel list... and here we are. We are only doing this trip this time, with a few days in BA after, as we have spent time in South America before.

Not many days to go now... see you all soon!

Helen

Hi Helen, your Mum, and everyone else reading this who are also going. See you all on-board.
Here's to a really great trip!
argylepaul

Next

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge