AHDC130304 Discover India Delhi to Kochi March 4, 2013

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

AHDC130304 Discover India Delhi to Kochi March 4, 2013

Postby wezleyp » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi Everyone!
Just looking to chat with anyone who is going on the Discover India, Delhi to Kochi trip departing march 4th 2013.
Im very excited and am looking forward to meeting people on my trip!
I am travelling alone for the first time :o so am a little anxious too
I am arriving a day early and wondering if anyone else is also?
Anyways, looking forward to hearing from anyone on the same trip

Eloise
wezleyp
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: AHDC130304 Discover India Delhi to Kochi March 4, 2013

Postby hexe1083 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:45 am

Hi Eloise,
nice to meet you. I'm also going on the Discover India trip departing march 4th.
This is my first trip to India and my first Gadventure tour so I am very curious about the country and the tour.
I'm arriving two days earlier in Delhi and so far I'm planing to do a sightseeing tour and a food tour.

bye
Ulrike
hexe1083

Postby wezleyp » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:35 am

Hi Ulrike!

Thanks for replying
Where are you staying prior to starting the tour?
Im staying at the hotel where our tour starts but arrive 1 day early
Where are you from?
Im from Melbourne Australia
Im really looking forward to seeing all that India has to offer too! Particularly the food :)
Also looking forward to meeting everyone on the tour :)
I have been with g adventures 2 years ago in Mexico....fantastic experience as far as travel groups go, our CEO was very friendly and super helpful, hopefully the experience will be the same in India!
Are you all prepared?
I have bought a lot of medications in case/most likely we will all have tummy troubles at some stage hehe!
Anyways look forward to hearing from you

Eloise
wezleyp

Postby hexe1083 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi,

I'm form Germany and I'm staying at the hotel where our tour starts too. I think it's just easier that way. I'm not sure about the area the hotel is in, but on google maps it looks like it is close to a metro station.
I've been last year with a german tour operator in Mexico. Loved the country with the exception of the real mexican food. I'm more a fan of the Tex-Mex-cuisine. Think that will be better India :D

Yeah the tummy problems.No ice cubes and salads for weeks. In all probability my pharmacy will make a fortune on me again :D

As preparation I bought the Lonely Planet. I'm most excited about the culture and hope we are in a great group.

bye Ulrike
hexe1083

Postby wezleyp » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:10 am

Hi,

Are you getting excited yet? Not long now
I agree, my pharmacist has made a load of money from me too!
I got my last injection the other day and my doc prescribed some kind of drink thing to ward off traveller's diarrhoea that cost $100! I guess it will be worth it!
No expectations...but if you would be up for it, maybe we could catch up on the night of the 3rd and have dinner?
OK if you dont want to, but I would like to touch base at least maybe you could steer me in the direction of somewhere to eat that night.....also want to get a nano sim for my ipad asap so I can keep in touch with my family & friends whilst Im away
Seeing as you get there the day before, you may have some idea of where to get one....if not Im sure the people at the hotel could help!
Also have you had any advice about an adapter for plugging in appliances?
I've been told there is no "official" adapter for India and I should just wait until I arrive...do you have any ideas?
What are you doing for money? I have read that you cant bring rupee into the country...
I have a "travel money card" which I can load money on to and withdraw at ATM's rupee but was just wondering what you plan might be
Anyways sorry for all the questions but look forward to hearing your thoughts

Eloise
wezleyp

Postby rujeblue » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:18 pm

Hi Eloise,

I'm getting excited too.
I like to meet up on the 3rd for dinner. I think I can be back at the hotel by 5pm or so.

As for electricity I will take a british adapter and have the european two poll adapter of course too. I think the bigger problem will be the power blackouts in India.

For the money, I will change the money at the airport.

I have taken my first injection of the cholera immunization last week (also for traveller's diarrhoea). I have the luck, that my health insurance covers most of my travel immunizations.

I'm not sure what shoes to take with me. Do you take hiking boots?
Are you take a prepaid cab from the airport?

Bye Ulrike

PS: My E-mail-address ist ulrikeherold@hotmail.com
rujeblue

Postby wezleyp » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:37 am

Hi Ulrike

glad you can meet up for dinner on the 3rd, dont worry about what time you get back, I get in at 6am that morning so will spend most of the day resting I imagine :)

I have managed to buy a power adapter online for India but power outages are sure to cause us a few problems, I must admit I do rely heavily on my ipod & ipad for entertainment in our downtime to read & listen to music

I will also get money at the airport I think as I will have my "travel money card" loaded with money but I hear US dollars are OK as well so I might get a few before I come over

I have booked an airport pick up through gadventures to make sure I dont get scammed when I arrive, maybe you could do the same, it cost me $35 australian but Im sure it will be worth it

As for shoes, my main shoes I'll be wearing are just birkenstocks, I wore them all through mexico and they were great for long walks and climbing the ruins in mexico so Im sure they'll be fine for India but Im bringing some sandals that I wear a lot for walking around melbourne too

I have found finding decent clothes to wear hard over here, mostly too revealing for Indian standards so plan to have lots of T-shirts and loose fitting pants, look forward to shopping whilst we are there too!

Well this time in 2 weeks we'll have met and be having a great time.....I must admit Im a little anxious as have never travelled alone before, have you?
I have been to the USA, Canada, Mexico and mostly around Australia (all the time with friends) so no where as full on as India sounds but Im betting it will be great as long as we dont get too sick in the tummy, that's cool that your insurance covers your injections etc

Bye for now,

Eloise
my e-mail is eloise_scott_5@hotmail.com
wezleyp

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge