SEQR130310: Great South Am Jour Quito to Rio March 10, 2013

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

SEQR130310: Great South Am Jour Quito to Rio March 10, 2013

Postby kasian » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:08 am

Hi everyone,

My name is Kasian and I'm going on the Great South American Journey solo and would like to meet anyone who is doing the same! I studied Spanish at undergraduate level and have just finished my MSc so I'm looking forward to a few months travelling before I begin a real career!

I am probably getting to Quito around the 7th or 8th of March to spend a few days extra here, and I'm also extending the trip in Rio by 3 or 4 days.

A few of the optional activities I'd really like to do are visit a bodega, sandboarding while we are at San Pedro de Atacama and go to a football match (in any country really) so if anyone fancies that too, drop me a message :D

Can't wait for the trip and it will be great to meet new and like minded people!

Regards

Kas
kasian
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: SEQR130310: Great South Am Jour Quito to Rio March 10, 2

Postby martijnp » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi Kasian!

I'm also taking this trip! I'll be in Quito about a month before the trip starts as I'll be going to a Spanish school for 4 weeks and volunteering at a childcare!

I'm currently living in Sevilla, Spain but I'm Dutch. For me, this year is a gap year with a combination of learning Spanish, working and travelling. I've finished high school last year and will be going to university next year, only need to figure out what I'm going to study :).

Being a big football fan I'd also love to visit a football match in South America, preferably in either Argentina or Brazil. Other activities I'd very much like to do are sandboarding, swimming with sea lions at Lima and mountainbiking Yungas Road a.k.a. Death Road at La Paz.

Really looking forward to the trip as well!

Regards,

Martijn
martijnp

Postby mt292 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi Kasian, Martijn

I'm taking this trip as well. I'm from London, England and just completed a Bsc in physics this summer. Working part time at the moment, saving money for travelling, no real idea what I'm going to do when the money runs out.

I should be getting to Quito for the 7th so would be great to meet up then. Also a massive football fan, so going to a game would definitely appeal to me. Boca juniors or River plate maybe?

Matthew
mt292

Postby martijnp » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi Matthew!

Boca or River Plate certainly sounds like a good idea! Those are the biggest clubs of Argentina. Luckily we'll be there during a weekend (days 48-50 means friday - sunday), so hopefully one of those two has a home game that weekend (otherwise CASLA might play at home, I know a friend of mine has visited a match of CASLA).

Really looking forward to meeting you and the other travellers that are taking this trip!

Martijn
martijnp

Postby kasian » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:55 am

Hi Martijn, Matthew

Sorry for the late reply guys but I have been working full time to save up some money for this trip.

That sounds a great way to start the trip Martijn. Where abouts are you staying in Quito as I need to find hostel for a few days before we set off?

Seems as though you have done your research as well which is great as we'd definately have a greater chance of seeing Boca or River Plate on the weekend. I don't mind, even if we get a chance to see CASLA.

I might be persuaded to do death road at La Paz once im there....and once i've bought travel insurance haha

Regards,

Kas
kasian

Postby martijnp » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:33 am

I don't know yet where I'm going to stay, the travel agency has not yet informed about that...
What I do know is that the Spanish school is in the Pichincha region of Quito, near the Olympic Stadium. So the residence (owned by the school) where I'll be staying during those 4 weeks can't be too far from there.
martijnp

Postby martijnp » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:18 am

I've finally found out where I'll be staying during the first weeks.

I'll be staying in a shared appartment, owned by the school, AGS Quito. It's in Calle El Mercurio.
You can look it up on Google Maps, here's a (very long) link:
https://maps.google.nl/maps/place?ftid=0x91d59a832f1b332f:0x854d501bf2fef969&q=el+mercurio+quito&hl=nl&ie=UTF8&ll=-0.169623,-78.487272&spn=0.000021,0.000021&t=h&z=16&vpsrc=6

I don't know if there are any hostels or hotels nearby... it might also be possible to stay in the student's appartment where I'm also staying. It costs $11 a day so that isn't too expensive.

The website of AGS is andeanglobalstudies.org
martijnp

Postby kasian » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:55 pm

Hi Martijn

I have booked four nights at the Secret Garden hostel, 3km from the hotel we are meeting at (La Cartuja) on the 10th.
It works out at around $10 a night for a mixed dorm but looks great.

I have had a look at possible football matches and Boca Juniors are at home on the 20th April (possibly day 50 of our trip) and so we might be able to go to the bombonera.

Kas
kasian

Postby kasian » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:58 pm

*actually, it's River Plate v Quilmes (27th April) as the Boca game is a week earlier than our arrival
kasian

Postby izzybeans » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:39 am

Hi guys!

I'm wondering if this is the same trip as the Quito to La Paz Adventure? Mine starts on the 10th March at Quito, just wondering if you guys just carry on once my trip has finished, or if they're different trips altogether?

Cheers!
Izzy
izzybeans

Postby mt292 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:13 pm

Hey Izzy,

I'm not entirely sure, but if it is the SEQL trip you're on it does look like it. You're trip leaves the same day as ours and follows the same route up until La Paz.

I'm getting to Quito on the 8th and staying for 2 nights at our starting hotel, La Cartuja.

Matt
mt292

Postby martijnp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:29 am

I'm pretty sure that's part of the Great South Am. Journey Izzy :).

Great that we can probably get to see a River Plate game. Would be awesome :D.

I'm already in Quito and will arrive at the starting hotel on sunday, day 1 of the trip. Really looking forward to it!
martijnp

Postby izzybeans » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:09 am

That's brilliant, I'll be coming up a couple of days early and staying in the La Cartuja hotel from the 8th as well, so I'll probably see you there Matt!

Izzy
izzybeans

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge