XVQCSX140309 : Quest for the Antarctic Circle - March 9 2014

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

XVQCSX140309 : Quest for the Antarctic Circle - March 9 2014

Postby stevejb » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:55 pm

Hello,

I am booked for this trip starting on March 9th, 2014. Hit me up if you will be on The MS Expedition with me. I will be traveling by myself and sharing a room with two other mates. This trip is going to be great!

I hope to hear from my future travelers,

Steve
stevejb
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: XVQCSX 2014/03/09 Quest for the Antarctic Circle

Postby liketotrek » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:03 am

Hi Steve - I've taken the same approach and booked in another triple. I must admit I was surprised how early these cabins were taken.

I'm planning on arriving a few days early so I can take a hike in Tierra del Fuego and hopefully go snowshoeing (Cerro Martial?) the next day. I found hotel prices to be terribly high so I've booked a room via airbnb.com.

Though I'm not Austrian, I will be coming from Vienna. What part of the world are you in?

Marti
liketotrek

Re: XVQCSX 2014/03/09 Quest for the Antarctic Circle

Postby stevejb » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:46 pm

Hi Marti!
Thank you for saying hi. I plan on flying in a day early to make sure I don't miss the ship. Tierra del Fuego is on my to-do list also. I will be flying in from The States...I live just north of Chicago. Maybe we will become roommates for 2 weeks?

Good talking to you,

Steve
stevejb

Re: XVQCSX140309 : Quest for the Antarctic Circle - March 9

Postby joanneb » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi Steve and Marti,

My husband, Patrick, and I will be on the ship with you. We're from San Diego, but we're heading to South America a couple of weeks early to do the End of the Earth tour in Patagonia on our way to Ushuaia. We're both in quads, since we lucked out and booked very early. We're excited about the expedition - this will be Continent #7 for both of us and I've been told by many people it's the most unique place they have ever been.

Pleased to meet you both!
-Joanne
joanneb

Postby liketotrek » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:19 pm

Greetings Joanne and Patrick

Sounds like a great trip. I look forward to hearing about it - and eager for recommendations. Are you going with a company or sorting it out yourselves?

Marti
liketotrek

Postby joanneb » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:59 pm

I normally prefer independent travel when possible, but since we really wanted to do some camping in Torres Del Paine National Park, we decided to go with the G Adventures End of the Earth tour. They were very kind and are delaying the last 2 days of our tour until after the Antarctica trip since they match up perfectly, and RT flights out of Buenos Aires are included.
joanneb

Postby stevejb » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:33 am

Hi Joanne and Patrick,
Congratulations on visiting the 7th continent very soon! I went with Gadventures last year to do the Trans-Siberian/Trans-Mongolian railway and could not have been happier with the entire adventure. That's why I decided to go to Antarctica with them. I booked the one night of camping and the kayaking also. I am from the Chicago area and will be booking my flight in the near future. This is going to be great!
I hope to hear from you again,
Steve
stevejb

Postby stevejb » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:00 pm

Only 14 spots left :D
stevejb

Postby rosemart » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:30 pm

Hi. We are booked on the March 9 2014 trip. Martin and Rosemary from Brisbane, Australia. We have 2 nights in Buenos Aries and are on the LAN flight that goes to Ushuaia via the Falkland Islands, arriving on Day 1.
rosemart

Postby laurenfarmer » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:04 am

Hello all!

I am one of your Expedition Staff and we are so looking forward to having you on board in March.

Please let me know here in the forum if I can answer any questions for you about what to bring or what your experience might be like. Happy to help!

Also, wanted to let you know that the M/S Expedition is on Twitter and Instagram, if you'd like to follow along with us in the lead up to your trip and share with your friends and family who will want to keep up with your travels while you're away.

http://instagram.com/g_msexpedition
https://twitter.com/g_msexpedition

See you in March!

Lauren Farmer
laurenfarmer
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby tbj_tbs » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:37 pm

Hi All,

I will be joining all of you in March for this amazing adventure. I booked last September (2012) as soon as the trip was available. I am super excited that I am counting down the days till I leave.
I will be departing from Vancouver, and arriving into Ushuaia on March 8th. I've added an extra night on in each direction.

Can't wait to meet all of you.
Ashley
tbj_tbs

Postby stevejb » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:03 pm

Ok, less then 60 days until I fly out for this adventure. The only thing I am nervous about is what I really need to pack clothing wise. Any help would be greatly appreciated! See you soon!
Steve
stevejb

Postby tidechild » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:37 am

Hi Steve!
My partner, Cory, and I will be enjoying the Antarctic adventure with you this March.

Regarding a packing list, I searched the internet for different tour operators and scanned their suggested pack lists to get an overall idea. I also scanned suggested packing lists for other cold weather destinations such as hiking in Nepal, and looked through G's store to see what they offer for sale, figuring that if they sell it, I might want to bring it.
In the end, we'll be focused on good base layers, water resistant outer layers and socks, socks, socks.
Only thing I'm stuck on is what to bring for "deck shoes".

See you soon!
Cheers,
Nancy
tidechild

Postby liketotrek » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:07 am

In contemplation of the Drake Passage, you might find this interesting:

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wi ... -81.88,331

And thanks for the question of what to wear for deck shoes - I hadn't thought of that.

marti
liketotrek

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge