Indochina Discovery

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Indochina Discovery

Postby cm444 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:38 pm

I'm doing this trip alone on the 8th Feb 2013 for 30 days... anyone else on that date/around that date? :) Are you doing the islands after or before?

Also what are you doing about visas for Vietnam etc?
cm444
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Indochina Discovery

Postby hannah_89 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:54 am

hey!

I am doing this on my own too, leaving on 9th Jan and then doing the bangkok to singapore tour afterwards. You need to apply for the vietnam visa beforehand by sending off your passport to the vietnam embassy with the form and fee - i have just sent mine off so will let you know how long it takes!

Are you just doing this tour or going anywhere afterwards? Is this your first time travelling alone?

x
hannah_89

Postby cm444 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:10 am

Hey,

I'm arriving on the 17th Jan, travelling around for 3 weeks and then I start my tour on the 8th Feb...then I want to the islands for another week or explore something else!

What about you? What are your plans?

Yeah it's the first time I'm travelling alone! How old are you and how long r you in Thailand for? :D
cm444

Postby rachellh » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:07 am

Hi both!

I am starting the Indochina tour also on the 8th February! :) Really excited and travelling alone, my first time travelling for this length of time - so I'm pleased to hear you guys are also taking this trip up on your own. I'm 24 and have always wanted to travel so am finally leaving my job and doing it. I'l also be looking to travel on after this and returning to the UK mid April!

I've not yet got my Vietnam visa but will do this nearer the time probably through this website as its secure.

How old are you guys? Are you travelling on after this at all?
Will be good to keep in touch beforehand!

Rachel
rachellh
User Rank: Weekender

Postby cm444 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:58 am

Brilliant!

I'm 21... first time I'm travelling on my own aswell!

Where are you guys from? Who did you book Indochina through? I booked through STA... they told me the group going out on the 8th would be mostly female with born in '89!...pleased I've found someone else! :D

What are you planning on doing after the tour? When do you arrive in Thailand?

Definitley would be good to keep in touch! Have you got Facebook or anything?

Cat
cm444

Postby hannah_89 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Hiya! I am 24 too and have always wanted to travel, I havent found any other women going on my tour but sure there will be a few!

My plan is to do indochina discovery then go down to singapore via the islands and malaysia, then im flying to Oz to spend 6 weeks there travelling up the east coast. I am so excited, are you two ok about going on your own?

Just a word of warning you need a paper visa for vietnam not the online one - you either have to post your application special delivery with your passport or do it over email/fax and then go to the embassy with your passport. I did mine through the post and it was fine, i just made sure i had a coloured copy of my passport at home.

I live in Kent how about you two? Only about 9 weeks until I go and not much longer for for either of you! Have you started getting the vaccinations? everyone on here seems so organised haha!

xx
hannah_89

Postby rachellh » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:43 am

Hiya,

Really excited too and not too nervius yet about travelling alone. But I'm sure I will be closer to the time. I don't feel so organised yet. Still just trying to save my spending money. How much are you both planning to take and how long are you planning to travel for?

I leave Heathrow on the 3rd Feb, arrive the 4th then obviously have a few days in Bangkok and my tour starts the 6th Februrary. I thought it was the 8th :( . So close but I'll be too days ahead but we should all defo keep in touch and hopefully meet when we are out there.

My plans are very similar to you both, after the tour finishes on the 7th March I think I'l work my way down Southern Thailand too, the islands, through Malaysia and then ending in Singapore on the 27th March I've got a flight booked to take me to Bali for my last 10days!

How do I go about getting the paper vietnam visa? I though i could just do it online with this website? Should I get this done soon then? I'm planning on getting my vaccinations first week of January. Then one month before I'm leaving.

Are either of you adding the 'adrenaline' pack to the tour?

Lets keep in touch on fb too? My full names Rachel Brown. my profile pick is me with shades on with a glass of red wine in hand lol!

Speak soon,
Rach xx
rachellh

Postby cm444 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:25 am

Hey,

Yes we should all definitely should stay in contact! I'm going to Oz aswell Hannah! Not sure if I will go there straight after - I was gonna do do the Kiwi Experience in New Zealand and then go to Fiji and end up in Oz last (also doing the east coast) - but my plans might change so you never know!! Im sooo excited - I want to quite my job already!

Oh really? I rang up STA cos I wasnt sure how to get the Vietnam visa but they said to do it via their official website and it was all really easy... :s Will ring them again and find out!

I haven't got any vaccinations yet! - Dreading them! Are you guys taking Malaria because I got a quote and its soo expensive!... We only really need it for Laos....

Rachel will try to find you and Hannah what is your Facebook name?

Might do the islands a bit before and probabaly after the tour for a week or so too!

As for spending money I budgeted about 1000 - I hear its pretty cheap so unless you get ripped off and do all the major touristy stuff It should be fine...Having said that Budgeting is easier said than done!

Stay in touch! Also it sounds silly but are either or u taking an iPad or anything like that just to back up your photos and stay in touch with family? (I'm rubbish with camera's and always lose them so wanted somewhere to store my pics and of course easily upload them online)

I know it has loads of cons about it (safety) but I also hear its a real life-saver when you need to book accomodation

xx
cm444

Postby cm444 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:05 pm

Rachel - is this you?
xx

http://www.facebook.com/rlbrown66
cm444

Postby rachellh » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:28 pm

Yes thats me haha!

Hmm I was planninng on taking my I-phone-wasn't sure about this either. Will probably get a sim out there and insure it so its covered for abroad travel! Not sure to be honest I need to get advice on this also.

Yeah the vaccines aren't gonna be nice - hence why I wanted to wait post xmas for them! I didn't realise Malaria would be a lot-see this is why this blogging is brill cos we can share tips and ideas etc!

Are you guys booking the hotel where the tour starts for prior the tour- I need to book a couple nights for accomodation but on my budget that hotels too pricey,,, but wouldn't mind recommendations if you both have heard anywhere good value for my first too nights in Bangkok and I'll be mega jet lagged no doubt!

Speak to you on FB soon then :)

x
rachellh

Postby cm444 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:03 am

I hadn't thought to book the accomodation for when the tour starts! Do we have to? What is the name of the hotel?

i still need to book accomodation for when i first arrive... I was having a look on STA but will probs ring them and see which ones they suggest... any of you thinking of doing the Full Moon Party?!

I think Im there for the one in Jan ! And the Half Moon party in feb!

These are the dates:
January 26th - Full Moon January 4th & 18th January 11th - Half Moon
February 26th - Full Moon February 2nd & 16th February 10th- Half Moon

xx
cm444

Postby rachellh » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:34 pm

Ah yes I'll go the either a half or full moon party but because of the tour it'll be in March when I do it....

Only thinking about accomodation as it is only a couple of days before the tour that i arrive in Bangkok anyway from airport and they suggested I stayed there as its where it starts but it is pricey but then again I want to stay somewhere nice on my first arrival and then slum it after!

But cool, let me know what hotels they suggest :)

Rach x
rachellh

Postby hannah_89 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:45 pm

Hey ladies, sorry i am rubbish at responding! My name is Hannah Proctor on FB - heres the link :https://www.facebook.com/HannahProctor89

I am in the middle of getting the vaccinations, i think i go earlier than both of you - my tour starts on the 9th Jan. I arrive the day before the tour and i have booked to stay in the tour hotel - called bangkok central hotel - the night before. I have budgeted about the same - budget is the scariest thing for me lol i am so scared of running out!! I have heard that asia is mega cheap though.

I have seen the quotes for malaria, i am going to take the tablets and iv been told by quite a few people it is worth getting the more expensive one. need a good mosquito spray too!

I feel quite unorganised too trying to save spending money rather than spend it on stuff haha. are you both going on your own? The nearer it gets the less brave i feel but know it is going to be amazing.

We should def stay in touch, i can let you know how it goes and any hints and tips if i am going before you both.

x
hannah_89

Postby kim_91 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:57 am

Bit late in the day, but I'm also booked onto the trip departing 8th Feb! I arrive in Bangkok in the morning of the 5th and am staying in the hotel the trip leaves from for the couple of days before - my friend's stayed there before and says it's lovely :)

I'm also a female, lone-traveller, aged 21, and also going on a Southern Island trip scheduled for after this tour.

If any of you manage to see this before the tour starts feel free to add me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kim.chaney.79

Looking forward to meeting you all!!

x
kim_91

Postby rachellh » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:50 pm

Hi Kim,

My tour starts Feb 6th so just missing each other which is a shame as I know Noone on my tour either. But I'm in Bangkok from the 4th and staying in that hotel too 4th and 5th so maybe we can meet up and go explore when you've settled? We can keep each other company and see the sights if we get time :)

My names Rachel Brown
Feel free to add me on fb - I think the links above

X
rachellh

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge