Antartica Classic Cruise Jan 29 2013

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Antartica Classic Cruise Jan 29 2013

Postby boreham » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:37 am

Thought i would start this thread to meet a few fellow travelers. Arriving in Uaishia on the 24 to have a good look around and just chill out before the cruise.

Mik
boreham
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Antartica Classic Cruise Jan 29 2013

Postby pollycharlie » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:21 am

Hi Mik, I am excited. A little scared but I think I will survive. Arriving Uaishia on 29Jan. I am mostly worried about going from the international airpot in Buenos Aires to the domestic airport... Hope I don't miss my flight!!

Dorothy
pollycharlie

Postby mrsask » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Hi Dorothy,

I was browsing through the forum and came across one other traveller with a similar concern. The recommendation was to grab a taxi at the international airport as the fastest way over to regional. What time do you arrive/depart Buenos Aires? We are arriving on the 28th and taking the 2:00pm flight to Ushuaia.

...Cameron
mrsask

Postby travellinghappy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:15 am

Hi there,
I'm on the same trip - and looks like the same flight too!
Assuming no delays to my international flights, I'm on the AR flight from AEP to USH at 14.20 on the 28th. Look out for the single Brit - curly hair & glasses!
Clare
travellinghappy
User Rank: Weekender

Postby mrsask » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:12 pm

Hi Clare!

Welcome to the group. My wife and I will be looking for you at AEP. Middle aged Canadians. Dark hair and a strawberry blonde. Starting to get quite excited about this trip. Trying to anticipate all the things we are going to see and experience. Looking at some of the pictures from previous Expeditions is pushing the anticipation. Is this your first trip down South? We are 'seasoned' travelers but have not been that far south in S. America before.

Cameron and Linda.
mrsask

Postby boreham » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:55 am

Hello All, i didnt realise i had started 2 posts the same. Anyway there is a second post further down the page with some fellow travelers on our trip. Getting real excited now about leaving and cant wait. the wife and i are always looking for something different when we travel and Antarctica is right at the top. Traveling with my brother and uncle and our better half's.

Mik
boreham

Postby travellinghappy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:59 am

Hi Cameron & Linda, Hi Mik, Hi Dorothy,

I've travelled a lot in the past and been to South America before, but never this far south. It really is a once in a lifetime trip for me. However as a friend from Finland keeps telling me, his house is closer to the north pole than we're going to the south!

It's hovering around zero in London at the moment so I'm getting the chance to test my gloves and thermal socks as I cycle to work (trying to zip along to recreate the wind chill of the zodiac).

Getting very excited now and trying to concentrate on work is difficult. I get another little parcel delivered each day with extra bits I've ordered for the trip (memory cards, camera hood, glove liners, books etc.) so it's constant reminder that we're going in just a couple of weeeks.
Think I might take take over the spare room this weekend to start sorting out stuff, find cables & chargers etc. Anyone would think I'd not travelled before!
travellinghappy

Postby mrsask » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:46 pm

I think many of us are probably using this as an excuse to pick up a bunch of new gear. I even bought a second camera body after hearing of other people on similar trips having had their camera fail due to the harsh conditions (see "What gear for Antartica - http://photo.net/travel-photography-forum/00XeHx). The only thing we haven't had to buy is outerwear. It was -34 with the windchill here this morning so we are just taking the same jackets that we wear on our way to work. Looking forward to a warm vacation in the Antarctic!

...Cameron
mrsask

Postby pollycharlie » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:17 am

Hi, looking forward to see you all! I found this nice post of one of the travelers who went earlier this year:

http://www.ottsworld.com/blogs/how-to-cruise-to-antarctica/

Dorothy
pollycharlie

Postby pollycharlie » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:21 am

Hi Cameron, I am arriving on the 29th so it will be a day later. I think I will just grab a taxi. It's a big city so I think I may be okay :-)

mrsask wrote:Hi Dorothy,

I was browsing through the forum and came across one other traveller with a similar concern. The recommendation was to grab a taxi at the international airport as the fastest way over to regional. What time do you arrive/depart Buenos Aires? We are arriving on the 28th and taking the 2:00pm flight to Ushuaia.

...Cameron
pollycharlie

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge