Indochina Discovery 18/01/2013

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Indochina Discovery 18/01/2013

Postby catherine_clare86 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Just looked at the date and realised it is only 2 months to go. :lol:

xx
catherine_clare86
User Rank: Traveller

Postby charm » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:21 am

Hey guys!

Been neglecting my replies this month! I had to find a new job Catherine_Clare86! After the whole palava with extending my contract, I have had to find a new job for December and early January. As it turns out I'm now going to be working 2 full time jobs from next week until Christmas! Toiletries wise, my sister has bought me biodegradable shampoo, conditioner and shower gel (which they put on the 'bring with you' list) for Christmas lol, and I'll no doubt take Batiste for the dreaded days of greasy hair! I'm trying to minimise as much as possible, but it's not working! They recommend we don't take too much, but I have 3 months travelling after the tour lol! I'll have to buy stuff as I go I reckon, Asia is supposed to be really cheap.

Bekki, we are going round the world after! Start in Thailand, end in Iceland! Cannot wait. You need a visa for Cambodia, but I'd recommend getting that on the border! I actually applied and got mine already, but it's really difficult to speak to anyone there if you have problems.

51 days to go!!!!!

Charm x
charm

Postby bekki_slinn » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:51 pm

I can't believe how soon it is now! So exciting :D

Yeh I was gonna get the Cambodia visa on the border, still haven't sorted my China Visa yet and I'm running out of time!!

I think I'm going to end up taking loooads of stuff too. I've started making a small pile of things and theres quite a lot of stuff there already! I'm not very good at this packing light stuff! Wow Iceland will be amazing! Bet your going to have to take loads of warm clothes as well with you which will fill your bag up more!

xx
bekki_slinn

Postby catherine_clare86 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:30 pm

It is really creeping up on us now. I've kind of stalled on the whole packing front at the moment, need to get back on track. Just found out the day before I fly out, I have to travel hundreds of miles for an interview and back, so hoping I'll just conk out on the flight :o!

Wow Charm, that is going to keep you busy for next few weeks, least you'll be getting more money to add to your holiday fund!

Exciting times :D
x
catherine_clare86

Postby bekki_slinn » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:09 pm

Only one month to go now!! Can't believe it's soo close!

You're going to be so tired on your flight after doing all that travelling the day before! At least you will be able to get plenty of rest before you get there though!

Yeh I've given up on packing now too until after Christmas.

xxxx
bekki_slinn

Postby catherine_clare86 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:34 pm

Heya,

I know it's crazy how close it is and we'll all be meeting in Bangkok - can't wait. More importantly, I only have 15 days left at work :D Did you ever find out about checking in times?

Yep it's a bit of a mammoth day before hand, but luckily, my airport is fairly close to home, and I've booked window seats so can slump my head on the side :lol:

What anti-malaria tablets have you both been advised to have? I've just picked mine up today, got Doxycycline, but it means I have to take for a month after :? !

Hope you are both well xx
catherine_clare86

Postby bekki_slinn » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:40 pm

I know sooo close now! Only 2 days left at work for me, been working lots of hours so I could have Christmas off!

I asked about checking in times and she said we should be able to check in anytime - I've got a transfer booked too so assuming I'll be able to check in when I get dropped off.

That's good that you don't have far to go to the airport! And good planning with the window seat! I have no idea what seats I have, will just have to sleep on the person next to me if I'm not next to a window haha!

I can't remember what the ones I'm getting are called - I think they're different to the ones you have though coz I only have to take them for 2 days before I go and a week after. I'm picking them up on Friday so will let you know when I have them!

xxxxx
bekki_slinn

Postby catherine_clare86 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:11 pm

Ooh very jealous about the number of days you have left at work :lol: That's good with the check in then :)

That might be malarone, someone I work with has come back from Cambodia and Vietnam not long ago, and that's what she took. For some reason I was advised to have the other one, think that might just suit me better.

You all set for christmas?

xxxx
catherine_clare86

Postby bekki_slinn » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:16 pm

I know I am very excited to have some time off! Yeh I'm glad we can check in early, can put my bag in then go exploring for the day before 6 :)

Yeh that sounds like the name he said to me, the nurse printed information on all 3 and I picked the one I liked the sound of most.

Yeh just about sorted for Christmas, I think haha! How about you?

xxx
bekki_slinn

Postby catherine_clare86 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:32 am

Good stuff! Yep just need a few last minute things, so will be braving my local town centre today :cry: , but other than that I'm all sorted.

Starting from Wednesday, will start organising my bag properly. Did you get an email from gadventures the other day, telling us to start preparing, I got rather excited.

Have you got everything else ready for the rest of your trip? How long you going travelling for?

Found out on Wednesday, that starting from September, I will once again be a poor student haha!

xxx
catherine_clare86

Postby bekki_slinn » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:21 am

I had almost everything ready in time for Christmas - had to nip into town today for the last
bits haha. Did you have a good day?

I think I am fairly ready for the rest of my travels. Not sure how long I am going for at the moment, I have just booked a one way flight for now and I am going to see how long I can afford to go!

I'm going to have a go at packing next week, just need to get toiletries now and I think I have everything else. Hopefully I won't have that much stuff!!

Wow that's exciting news for you!! What are you going to be studying??

xxx
bekki_slinn

Postby catherine_clare86 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:14 pm

Yep it was a good day, hope you enjoyed it too. Quite glad it is over and done with now though.

Think I might need my head checking haha, I'm doing the Social Work Masters, so probably won't have chance to go abroad after this for the next two years (course is pretty intense) so will be making the most of it :D!!!

Yep, gonna have a proper look at everything at the weekend, and make a list of anything I need toiletries and first aid wise. Got a kindle for xmas so have been downloading lots of reading materials for the long journeys ;)

Three weeks today we fly out, three weeks tomorrow till we all meet, yay!!!

xxx
catherine_clare86

Postby bekki_slinn » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:34 pm

Yes I had a good day too thanks :) Yeh I'm quite glad it's over with now - time to concentrate on travelling now!!

Oh wow that will be really good, I was looking at doing that course a couple of years ago and it does look really intense!! I'm sure you will enjoy it though and will defo have to make sure you enjoy every second of your trip!!

I'm getting a kindle too :) Any books you'd recommend?

I'm gonna make a list shortly too - we'll have to share lists so we don't forget anything!!

xxxxx
bekki_slinn

Postby catherine_clare86 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:44 am

Ah wicked, I've mainly been downloading free or 99p books, but reading the reviews first, as some had really good reviews, others I've heard are utterly rubbish. I must admit, I do like to read light and fluffy stuff, but already have about 50 books on there.

Yep, sounds good. Trying to sort everything out, got a list for what is already in my hand luggage, what I need to put in my hand luggage, same for my big bag, and also a bag for clothes that I need to iron. I think the most important things are the documents, as most other things we can buy when we get there. Have you got a sleeping sheet for the train journeys? Heard some horror stories about one of the overnight trains (I think it is the second one), where I think the sleeping sheet will come in handy :) Also, we need spare passport photos, completely forgot about that till the other day. Have you looked at the before you go pdf on the website? The list on there seems quite comprehensive.

Also, got given a city guide to Bangkok for my birthday in October, so have been having a read of that.

Everyone else in our group are still in hiding lol. I did put our trip down on the g adventures meet up on facebook a while back, but no one replied there, we must be the most excited :D

xxxxx
catherine_clare86

Postby bekki_slinn » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:28 pm

That sounds good, as long they're easy to use I should be OK haha.

I don't have any lists at all at the moment haha, going to try and sort them out after the new year. I have a pile down the side of my bag of travel related items and thats it so far. - When I am going to sort stuff out seems to be getting later and later at the mo haha!! You sound so organised!! No I haven't even thought of looking at the website! Will defo have a look when I finally start organising my things though!

I do have a sleep sheet, a ground mat, a travel pillow and a mosquito net so can hopefully make a fairly confyish bed on the trains haha! I've not heard great things either but will hopefully be fine for us!!

I got a guide too for Christmas! Trying to pick things to do in Bangkok before the tour starts that will be nearish to the hotel!

Haha I know, we haven;t really heard from anyone else!! I am mega excited!! I didn't even know there was a facebook thingy - maybe other people don't either!

xxxx
bekki_slinn

PreviousNext

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge