DAFD080603: Dunes, Deltas and Falls Discoverer - June 3

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: DAFD080603: Dunes, Deltas and Falls Discoverer - June 3

Postby wobbie » Mon May 12, 2008 8:29 am

Hey all,

I posted on another forum earlier, but will add to this one as well. I'm from Perth in Western Australia and this is my first GAP adventure, but 2nd time to South Africa. I've visited Capetown before, seen the wineries, penguins, Robben Island and Camps Bay. The only must see for me this time, would be Table Mountain, so keen to join any others who want to visit.

I'm in Koh Samui, Thailand at the moment and traveling around SE Asia for a month before arriving in Africa, so will be working on the tan until then! I arrive in Capetown around lunchtime on the 2nd and staying at the GAP hotel as well.

This is part of a 6 month round world trip for me, so unfortunately traveling a little heavier than I would have liked at the moment. Will hopefully post home sleeping bag once I arrive in Europe.

I've had Hep A & B, polio, tetanis, typhoid and taking malaria tablets too. Great to hear we have a couple of doctors on tour as I seem to have a myriad of drugs given to me by the Travel Doctor, which seem to have a 30 page brochure to read before administering!

I'm bringing a pull suitcase due to future locations and day pack, sleeping bag hiking shoes. Camera - point & shoot, again due to space.

No visas for me either being Aussie, I believe they're all on the border and my advice from the Travel Doctor as others have said is, no to yellow fever.

I did see on the travel advices sent to me from the Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade in Australia, that they recommend deferring plans to Zambia if you are planning to cross the border into Mozambique, Angola or the Dem Rep of Congo. This was updated 8th May... otherwise Zambia sits at "high degree of caution" as many other African countries do.

I have a pretty long journey for my arrival too:
Singapore/Hong Kong/Johannesburg/Capetown
and a hefty time difference, so apologies if I'm a little out of it on day 1!

See you all soon.

Robyn McCreary
wobbie
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby drgolfermd » Mon May 12, 2008 6:05 pm

hi everyone!
ok...a few more questions...
1) will we have power in most places to charge our stuff? do we need to bring converters?
2) anyone bringing a cell phone for safety purposes? i'm contemplating it...
3) i'll have lots of medications with me so happy to share with anyone that needs it.. just ask:)
4) anyone interested in doing the wineries on june 3? we could rent a car and head up OR hire do a wine tour....
5) anyone interested in doing table mountain, penguins, cape of good hope on june 2?
iknow that i'm not staying at the GAP hotel but can meet you guys there at a certain time.. let me know! thanks!

more questions to come..

sally
drgolfermd

Postby wobbie » Mon May 12, 2008 9:56 pm

Hey All,

I know its a big security risk, but as I'm away from home for such a long time I'm actually carrying my macbook as well. So I've got a myriad of chargers, mobiles and international adaptors with me. I've just left my 2 daughters at home for 6 months and need to keep in contact via Skype, mobile and email wherever possible to make sure they pay the bills and the house doesn't burn down!

We could all email each other directly and find out a) arrival date b) time c) preference for sightseeing and then can try and formulate a plan from there.
Not sure if all our profiles reflect email addresses but will give it a go. Might be a bit quicker than the watering hole!!

Robyn
wobbie

Postby drgolfermd » Mon May 12, 2008 10:51 pm

hi everyone,
robyn that is fantastic that you have mobile/computer etc. i am travelling alone for a week after the GAP trip so wonder if i should have a cell phone of my own anyway for safety reasons...

i arrive on northwest/klm airlines from amsterdam(originating in boston) into capetown on june 1st at 9:30pm. i will stay at the african villa which is apparently close to the GAP hotel. email: drsallywang@gmail.com
i hope we can coordinate something...

i bet koh samui is gorgeous..i was in koh lanta a year or so ago diving and relaxing...visited vietnam and cambodia as well.

see you all soon..

sally
drgolfermd

Postby maurice » Tue May 13, 2008 12:38 pm

hi all, my name is maurice, im 26, from sunny england.im in cape town from early on the 1st of june, so if any1 wants to climb table mountain, whether thats actually climbing it or going on the cable car im up for it. On the 2nd im goin great white shark cage diving, any1 who wants to join me is welcome! my email is bennyblanco101@hotmail.com if anyone wants to mail about meetin up in cape town, im stayin at the ashanti lodge, 11 hof street. cya soon!
maurice

Postby jmsfell » Tue May 13, 2008 8:25 pm

Hi Guys and Girls,
Seems like our group is getting together.
I am still the "speaker of the house", Thomas is coming back from Honduras on Saturday. We are likely to be the earliest in Cape Town, landing early on the 30th of May. T was there before and wanted me to see the town, we will stay at the Saarsfield Lodge (GAP) so look for us as you will come in. Last names Fell/Sigler.
I am still in the limbo about the sleeping bag, can we rent one? anyone knows this? GAP seems to be a good outfit but I am disappointed in how much specifics they give out on important information. ????
I got the yellow fever shots, and the yellow card to go with it, just-in-case,
and hepA, typho, polio buster, and will take the malaria pills along. We are supposedly heading for the winter, wet time.
I would love to hear about the what next? What are you doing at the finish line?
We would like to stay in Livingstone for a few days and go back to Joburg afterwards. The how is completely open at the moment, any plans or suggestions?
Judith
jmsfell

Postby Nortoes » Tue May 13, 2008 10:53 pm

Hi all

We liked Robyn's idea of migrating this discussion to email. Were you also offering to be the moderator, Robyn? Hint, hint!

There's so many unanswered questions floating around it would be nice if someone could put together a Word document that lists them all and updates them over the next several days. My email is lundswamp@shaw.ca. Perhaps others could provide theirs as well.

Judith, Kathy and I are also arriving in Cape Town on May 30. We're coming in from London on SA221 departing Heathrow at 2100, May 29 arriving Cape Town at 0950 May 30. Are you on the same flight by any chance? Maybe we could hook up in the departure lounge if you are.

We were able to rent sleeping bags on previous GAP tours in South America. It seems likely you could do so here too but I haven't seen any reference to it. Probably best to have your own if you can't confirm rentals before hand.

As we're staying with a friend who lives in Cape Town we're expecting she will have our local itinerary arranged with her. Although we can't commit to participating in any group activities before the official tour start we'd like to be kept in the loop in case we can fit ourselves in with your plans. We may even be able to pass on suggestions from our local contact after we've spent some time with her.

Happy travels everybody.

Mark
Nortoes

Postby jimshu » Tue May 13, 2008 11:31 pm

Hi everyone,
I have been reading with interest this thread.We're following in your footsteps , catching the July 1st tour.
If you have specific questions about anything not covered in the dossier, this Wateringhole has a tremendous amount of info posted from other trippers.
Use the 'Search' Facility at the head of the AFRICA FORUM page, and see what you come up with.
For instance I typed in 'rent sleeping bag' and came up with this post which may help-.

''BRING A SLEEPING BAG!!!!! don't count on being able to rent one. 3 people on my trip didn't bring one and the guides had to scramble to find bags for them before we went into the delta. they were lucky. Please don't count on being able to rent one, regardless of what the dossier says. HOWEVER, mattresses were provided free of charge. The tents are huge and comfortable. easy to put up, and tall enough to stand up in. they are made with insect netting on the doors and windows. so no need to bring a mosquito net.''

Check out all the relevant threads in the Africa forum.
And please come back and give a trip review after your tour.
Jim
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby jmsfell » Wed May 14, 2008 9:42 am

Hi Mark,
yes, we are on the same flight from London.
Let's see who recognizes the other first.
It was funny, when last year on our way to China, we picked out our travel mates almost instantly from the check-in line at JFK.
Our e-mail is sigler@bucknell.edu and I "signed up" for the group letter with Robyn. Hint! Hint!
Best, Judith
jmsfell

Postby jimshu » Wed May 14, 2008 4:25 pm

There are some other fellow travellers at this thread for the DACD tour which is the first part from Cape Town to Windhoek-
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5623&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby clydescott » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:38 am

Glad to get such good information. I ever like beach villas while my travel. I am interested in some Golf house must have near to beach. I am making family trip so if you have any reference like to her from you. Thanks in advance.

Visit here to buy beach house in Florida: best sothebys realtor in miami| homes for sale in Miami Beach.
clydescott

Previous

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge