Inca Empire 27th July

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Inca Empire 27th July

Postby beckyt » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:27 am

Hi,

Anybody doing the Inca Empire starting in La Paz on the 27th July? I'm trying to decide whether I need malaria tablets but wanted to some advice please! Thanks :)
beckyt
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Inca Empire 27th July

Postby chriscat@sdtravel » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:12 am

I'm not on this tour, a different tour that visits the Amazon G Adventure Lodge. Malaria tablets are obviously a personal decision, my doctor told me do what I feel comfortable with so I decided no tablets. I did get a Yellow Fever Vaccination.

My decision was based off only spending two nights and the low incidence in that area, according the CDC website less than 50 cases. I decided to purchase Bug Blocker clothing by Columbia that is treated with mosquito repellant. I think Ex Officio also makes it but more expensive (plus I caught a sale!). I also purchased 100% DEET. I have heard too many adverse reactions to tablets (although some people have no issue), I have seen people contract malaria despite tablets, and decided there was a small risk. Malaria is a serious disease, so it's a gamble. I guess I will find out if it was the right decision!

Good luck, speak with your doctor. Make sure you get a prescription for the correct type of tablet for the are you are concerned about!

Cat
chriscat@sdtravel

Postby chriscat@sdtravel » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:16 am

I really should have looked at your itinerary, you are not traveling to any Malaria prone areas from what I see. You should be fine.
chriscat@sdtravel

Postby richmeister » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:09 pm

Im doing the Inca Empire trip on the 27th. Im staying in the Las Brisas hotel the night before on the 26th. Im from the UK and I will be travelling alone so hoping to meet some interesting people. Where you from Christine?
richmeister

Postby chriscat@sdtravel » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:11 pm

I'm on the Quest of the Gods trip which starts and ends in Lima Peru from Sun July 27 ends Aug 10, unfortunately no one on here seems to be on that trip! I currently live in San Diego, California but I grew up in New York City/surrounding area. Have a wonderful trip!
chriscat@sdtravel

Postby beckyt » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:16 am

Thanks Cat for your reply about malaria tablets :)

See you on the Inca Empire tour Rich!
beckyt

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge