Wild China, Beijing to Hong Kong, 27th July - 16th August

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Wild China, Beijing to Hong Kong, 27th July - 16th August

Postby mrbotts » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:23 am

Hi Everyone!

My name's Jack, I'm 27 years old, from London, England and will be travelling on this trip as a solo traveller. I'm actually going to be travelling out to China a bit earlier; arriving in Guangzhou on 17th July where a Chinese friend of mine lives, then taking a train from Guangzhou to Shanghai, spending a few days there on my own and then another train from Shanghai to Beijing. I'm also going to be spending some extra time in Hong Kong at the end of the trip, leaving on 21st August. It would be great to hear from other people on this trip, especially if anyone is spending some time on their own before or after the trip like I am!

Does anyone know what the best thing to do for money in China is? On the one hand, my friends at home who have been to China have told me that I should have no problem using my Visa debit card, one even telling me that he was able to use his in the most rural places. However, my friend in Guangzhou has a friend who works for the Bank of China and he has advised me that using both my Visa debit card and traveller's cheques will be very difficult and that I should basically just bring lots of cash with me, which is obviously not very secure. Some help or advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Jack (London, England)
mrbotts
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Wild China, Beijing to Hong Kong, 27th July - 16th Augus

Postby elen » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:16 pm

Hia
I travelled in China last year. Took some cash but used my visa card to get money out with no problems. Just make sure you let your bank know the dates of your trip and that you will be in China. It's an amazing country, fab people and stunning food, you'll have a great time! Make sure that you keep chopsticks handy in your bag and a cup for the noodles and coffee on the trains, they have hot water on tap and it's a blessing on the long trips!!!!!
elen
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby daniellejames » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:52 pm

Hi Jack! I am also a single traveller coming on this trip! I'm 24 female from Wales. Due to flight prices I've had to fly in a little earlier. I arrive 00:20am on the 27th so I will be booking an extra nights stay at our initial hotel(it will have to be booked for the 26th and I will inform them of my late arrival). It would be great to meet up with you to see some sites in Beijing that are not included on the tour before we all meet up later on that day. I am also staying on at the end of the trip and meeting a friend in Hong Kong. So there a few other options to explore some more!
daniellejames

Postby daniellejames » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:32 am

Kind of gutted no one has replied to the posts on here! Would have been lovely to have met anyone arriving early for the trip as I plan to do a little exploring before we all meet at 6pm. Currently sat in Doha airport waiting for my connecting flight so i thought id take a peak on here! Wishing everyone a safe journey and i guess we will all meet at 6pm! I will keep checking back here to see if anyone wants to meet up.

Dani =)
daniellejames

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge