ACWC140720: Wild China July 20, 2014

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

ACWC140720: Wild China July 20, 2014

Postby wanderlust1 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:38 am

Hello China-Bound Travelers,
We are a pair of Canadians traveling to China for the first time. We are very excited about this trip and are hoping to meet others booked on this tour. We have both traveled with G Tours before and had excellent experiences so we are expecting no less this time.
Wanderlust1
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only the first page. St. Augustine
wanderlust1
User Rank: Traveller

Re: ACWC140720: Wild China July 20, 2014

Postby cuthbert28 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:13 pm

Hi,

I'm Jo from the UK. This will be my first trip to China so very excited. Not long to go now!
cuthbert28
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby wanderlust1 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi Jo,
So glad you found us in the departure lounge. How are your preparations coming along? We got our Chinese visas and have been to travel clinic to see about necessary shots, etc. Luckily, we don't need much as we have both recently traveled and so are up to date. :D
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only the first page. St. Augustine
wanderlust1

Postby wanderlust1 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:31 pm

Less than a month to go, Jo! Excitement is building. What are you looking forward to the most?
I am looking forward to hiking the Tiger Leaping Gorge and the Li River has always been high on my must-see list. I realized I forgot to introduce us in my last reply. I'm Marian and I will be travelling with my daughter, Ann, who will be flying up from Perth, Australia where she now lives. Too bad others didn't find us in the departure lounge, although it can still happen in the next few weeks I suppose.
Cheers
Marian
wanderlust1

Postby rockon210 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:11 am

Hi everyone,
I have done this trip two years ago.
It was really, really great. You will love it.
Here are some of my pics, if you are interested:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/41162927@ ... 158041711/
Safe travels!
Andrea
rockon210

Postby wanderlust1 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:18 am

Hi Andrea,

Great photos! Thanks for sharing those. Looking at your pictures got me even more excited about the trip. We couldn't decide between the Wild China tour or Essential China (which was similar but went to Shanghai and Three Gorges). We decided to go for something that went to more rural places. Based on your beautiful photos and your enthusiasm for your experience I think we made the right choice. How did you find the 3 nights on the 'hard sleeper' train?

Marian
wanderlust1

Postby rockon210 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:31 am

Hi Marian,

What can I tell you about The Hard Sleeper Experience:
Train stations in China are not very tourist friendly. Everything was written in Chinese Letters, no English Information available. Be prepared, that local People will stare at you, as if you were from another planet aka Aliens. In the train stations, there are a lot of stairs, so I would advise to take a backpack.
The first Train from Bejing to Xian:
Everyone in my Group was suprised, how good the Train was.
Toilettes have been cleaned, i think everyone two hours.
I slept very well.
The second Train was the worst one:
Because of high season, the Group has been divided to different parts of the Train.
I had to share the compartement with some strangers. Everyone was smoking, so it was bit rough.
During our trainride to Yangshuo, we had bad weather conditions.
In the morning we got the News, that the train was 10 hours delayed, so we spent almost 23 hours on the train.
The train to Hongkong was the best one. Very modern, everything was clean, etc.

Greetings, Andrea
rockon210

Postby wanderlust1 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:46 am

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for all this information. It's very helpful. Did you have 3 or 4 overnight trips on the train? I'm asking because the itinerary says 3. What time of year did you do your trip? How was the weather? Apparently it is the rainy season in parts of China when we are there. We have to expect rain when we are hiking the Tiger Leaping Gorge. Were you ever cold during your time there?

Marian
wanderlust1

Postby rockon210 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:43 pm

Hi again,
I went in July 2012. It was very hot most of the days, especially in Beijing and Yangshuo.
It almost rained the whole time while we were in Lijiang and hiked the tiger leaping gorge.
That was the only time I have been wearing long pants and a jacket.
We had four nights on the train:
Beijing to Xi'an
Xi'an to Chengdu
Kunming to Guilin (Yangshuo)
Guilin (Yangshuo) to Hongkong
rockon210

Postby wanderlust1 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:55 pm

Did you know ahead of time that you were going to have to spend 4 nights on a train or was there a change to your itinerary? Our itinerary shows 3 overnight train trips and 2 flights including one from Kunming to Yangshuo. I'm curious because the overnight train rides are the only part of trip that I am not super excited about :|
wanderlust1

Postby rockon210 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:10 am

I just realised, that the trip style changed in the last to years from yolo to classic.
So maybe thats why you have less Train rides than I had.
Anyway, don't worry about the night Train, ist really not that bad.
rockon210

Postby bec006. » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:40 pm

Hi,
Im not on this trip but went for the essential china trip leaving on the same day from beijing is that where you start? Im getting there a day early so if you are in beijing it would be nice to meet up if your around. Also do you know what jabs etc you need for china im hoping mine are up to date too!!
Thanks for the advice given on here so far!
Have a great trip if i dont hear from you,
Rebecca (UK)
bec006.

Postby mrbotts » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:13 am

Hi,

I'm not on this trip, but the Wild China that departs on 27th July.

Does anyone know what the best thing to do for money in China is? On the one hand, my friends at home who have been to China have told me that I should have no problem using my Visa debit card, one even telling me that he was able to use his in the most rural places. However, I also have a Chinese friend who lives in Guangzhou; one of his friends works for the Bank of China and he has advised me that using both my Visa debit card and traveller's cheques will be very difficult and that I should basically just bring lots of cash with me, which is obviously not very secure.

Some help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Jack (London, England)
mrbotts

Postby wanderlust1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:23 am

Great question, Jack. That is something I have been wondering about too. What was your experience with this Andrea?

Rebecca, my daughter, Ann, and I will be getting to Beijing one day before tour. We will be staying at the start up hotel for our tour (the Dong Fang). We are hoping to see things not covered by the tour - possibly the Temple of Heaven which is close to hotel. Are you staying at the Dong Fang? For health info this is a good website to use;

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destination ... none/china

Cheers
Marian
wanderlust1

Postby rockon210 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:48 pm

As far as I can remember, we found ATM's in every City. I had no issue to withdraw money with my Mastercard Credit Card.
We paied cash in restaurants. In most restaurants, our CEO orderded different dishes for us and than after lunch or diner, he collected the money and paied for us. Thats because English is very rare, except in Yangshuo.
rockon210

Next

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge