DCF130512: Dunes, Deltas & Falls - May 12, 2013

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

DCF130512: Dunes, Deltas & Falls - May 12, 2013

Postby jen268 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:43 pm

Hey guys,

is anyone else here going on this trip departing Kapstadt on May 12 and searching the wateringhole for other travellers and useful tips? :wink:

Greetings
Jenny
jen268
User Rank: Weekender

Re: DCF130512: Dunes, Deltas & Falls - May 12, 2013

Postby melb_guy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:05 am

Hey there,

I believe I shall be on your tour, but as part of the Ultimate Africa one. I'll be doing it as a single traveller, I'm from Australia.

I've got no tips as I have no idea what to expect.
melb_guy

Postby rjeavons » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:24 pm

Hey!

I will also be on this trip as part of Cape Town to Nairobi - DCN trip. I'm pretty excited, but I also don't know what to expect, I've never done a trip like this.
I'm from Canada, I just finished my Civil Engineering degree so I'm excited to go a big trip and get away from school!
Looking forward to meeting everyone in a month.

Rachel
rjeavons
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby melb_guy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:01 am

Hi Rachel,

I don't know if I'm surprised or not more people who are going haven't posted on here.

As I mentioned above, I'm from Australia. I'm in my late 20s and a couple years through a law degree. So I also need a break from school.

Currently I am trying to still figure out exactly what I am taking. As well as concerned how many plugs there'll be on the bus to charge things.

Looking forward to it!

Brendan
melb_guy

Postby ulrika.a » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:08 am

Hey everyone!
I will also be joining you on this trip, from Cape town to Livingstone :)
I'm from sweden and is also going as a single traveller, feeling both nervous and excited. At the moment i'm trying to figure out how best to sort out the money-thing, seems a bit tricky..

Btw, is anyone else arriving Cape town on the 11:th? :)

Looking forward to a great trip with all of you!

See you soon
Ulrika
ulrika.a

Postby melb_guy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:35 pm

ulrika.a wrote:. At the moment i'm trying to figure out how best to sort out the money-thing, seems a bit tricky..

Hi!

Yeah money is a tricky one. I can tell you my basic plan. Which I assume is what everyone would be doing. I am taking some US dollars and Euros. My generally plan is to use a travel card to take local currency out of ATM's when I get to a new country.

As to how much I will need day to day and for optional activities, I have no idea. Try and figure it out as I go along. I assume the guides will give us a rough idea though of what's needed. Then exchange any of the currency I have left at the border.

I will use $US to exchange when I can't access an ATM, or try to use it when I run out of local money.

I'm getting into Capetown on the evening of the 7th. Going to spend a couple days seeing the sights, taking it easy. I won't be at the joining hotel though. I decided before roughing it, i'd book in somewhere a bit nicer for a couple nights.

Brendan
melb_guy

Postby julie_at » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:57 am

Hi there, i will be on this tour from cape town to vic falls. so exited to get this tour started - counting down the days till take off! will be arriving a couple of days earlier in cape town (9th). looking forward to explore this fantastic city? anyone else arriving earlier?
greetings from Vienna,
Julie
julie_at

Postby ulrika.a » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:04 pm

@brandon, yep that sounds like a good idea, will problably do something like that as well. Just checked out the travelling info a bit closer and it has all prices of all activities in the end (if i got it right :P )

@julie, i will also arrive earlier, just one day though, and i will try to squeeze in as many sights as possible :) Will you be staying at the meeting point hotel also?

Ulrika
ulrika.a

Postby rjeavons » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:54 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm planning on bringing American money and then relying on my debit card as a back up I think.
I'm arriving in Cape Town on Friday May 10th and I'm staying at the joining up hotel. So if anyone will be there I would be up for some sight seeing! I really want to go to Robben Island so if anyone wants to do that with me, I know we have to book a tour but I'm sure the hotel could help us with that.
Hope everyone is as pumped as I am! Anyone else coming from Canada?
See you all in a couple weeks.

Rachel
rjeavons

Postby melb_guy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:46 pm

Hi,

As I have a few days in cape town. My general plan was to spend the first day(8th) acclimatising, go for a walk around the city and have no real plans. See where I end up. For the other days I will see what tours and options are available from my hotel and any tourist centers. I'm staying at the Victoria & Alfred Hotel for those first few days. So I'll be down in the waterfront district if anyone wants to meet up before.

As far as tours I was planning on at least doing Robben Island, Table Top mountain and something with sharks. Maybe go cage diving. I'm happy to do these with anyone else interested.

I was planning on getting a local sim card. So I can PM anyone that number when I get it.

Brendan
melb_guy

Postby rayh » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:03 pm

Hey guys, I'll also be on this tour. A quick intro, I just finished my undergrad in actuarial science and decided this tour would be the best grad trip to take.

I'm going to arrive in Cape Town on May 8th (but in the evening) and will be staying at the joining hotel.

@ Rachel and Brendan - I'll also be on the whole trip from Cape Town to Nairobi.
@ Rachel - I'm from Canada!

I actually didn't know about this forum until my friend mentioned it to me heh.

My tentative plan is:
May 9 - relax and sight see
May 10 - do a shark cage diving tour
May 11 - table mountain
May 12 - I found this tour that goes over cape of good hope, robben island and see the penguins. I think it should get back before the pre-departure group meeting.

And then the evenings do whatever the city has to offer. Kind of interested in trying the hosted home dinners.

I haven't booked anything so I'd be more than happy to change my plans and join anyone or if anyone is interested in joining me, we can look into that.

Anyways, looking forward to meeting you guys,
Ray
rayh

Postby rjeavons » Wed May 01, 2013 9:47 am

Hey Ray,

Tell me more about this tour because I would be interested in doing that on the 12th too!

Congratulations on your graduation too, what uni did you go to? I just finished up at University of Western Ontario.

Rachel
rjeavons

Postby rayh » Wed May 01, 2013 12:23 pm

Hey Rachel,

Here is a link to the tour I was mentioning. They have others as well, but I really wanted to check out Robben Island: http://www.capetowndaytours.net/robben-island-cape-of-good-hope-and-penguins-full-day.html
(I hope my hyperlinking worked...)

I still haven't booked anything, but will likely do so tomorrow or Friday, so please let me know whatever you decide.

I graduated from the U of Manitoba. I think I've visited your campus before, I might even have a sweater from there hah.

Ray
rayh

Postby ulrika.a » Wed May 01, 2013 12:54 pm

Hey there!
I think the tour sounds great, if it's still on for the 12:th i would also love to join you guys!

// ulrika
ulrika.a

Postby julie_at » Wed May 01, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi everyone! I'll get into cape town on the 9th. Will be staying in the joining Hotel. I have already booked a full day tour to the cape of good hope & wineyards on the 10th. Let me know if you're interested to join. i'll be up for Sightseeing on the 11th&12th. I read something about a sunset Cruise incl. Champagne. This could be fun if we team up?

Looking forward to get this trip started!
Greetings from Vienna, Austria

Julie
julie_at

Next

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge