Africa. Nairobi-Cape Town Aventure. 17th June - 26th July

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Africa. Nairobi-Cape Town Aventure. 17th June - 26th Jul

Postby gemwood » Sun May 19, 2013 3:27 am

That's fantastic.

I'm also doing the full tour from Nairobi - Cape Town!
I think a few of us will be in the Hotel Boulevard the night before so we can all arrange to meet.
I haven't arranged anything for mosquito protection yet. I do know the tents have mosquito nets built into the windows and doors. For me personally though, I think I'll buy Deet, which is a spray designed to keep mosquito's away. I've been told that's really effective. It is Africa's winter though, so I think we'll be okay compared to their Summer.

Looking forward to meeting you :)

Gilly, Scotland.
gemwood
User Rank: Weekender

Postby brookiie » Sun May 19, 2013 8:54 am

That sounds good, I've been thinking about doing an %80 deet cream, and then an antisectiside from my travel clinic on top/ to soak my clothing in before I go (they say it's effects last around 6 months in clothing, evening with laundering)
I am the most excited to see the animals!! How about you?
Are you guys taking mobile phones? I can't see one earning a space in my small backpack since I don't think we'll have network coverage most of the time and electricity only some of the time, and room is tight. Could everyone maybe do a packing list on here? I'd just really like to know that I'm not forgetting something important, and make sure I'm packing all the right things :)
brookiie
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby carlson- » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Brooke, they give a list of things to bring here that I've found very helpful in the past when I've done a Gap trip (you can find it here) http://www.gadventures.com/trips/nairob ... resources/
I, like Gilly, am bringing a deet repellent which should do fine.
I'm doing a 'fake' pack tonight or tomorrow to make sure everything fits in my bag. My sleeping bag takes up a chunk of room but I got a waterproof compression bag and can't believe how tiny it gets - I highly recommend getting one if you haven't already.
I can't believe how close we're getting! I leave on Monday - one more week!
As for meeting up, maybe we meet for drinks at 8pm and do it at the hotel - that way if people arrive later they can still come join or come down to say hello? Just throwing it out there...thoughts?
carlson-

Postby gemwood » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Hello!

Yeh I think I'll do the same Carlson and make sure I can fit everything in before I have to pack for real.
Good idea about setting a time. 8pm is reasonable time and should be easy for everyone to manage I'm sure. The question is where to meet though.

Quick question for everyone - I've been trying to decide how much money to take out to begin with. Roughly, what's everyone suggesting/taking out themselves? I've been told there aren't many ATMs along the way (which was inevitable) so when I do come across one, I should take out a lot to last.
Is everyone doing a mix of cards and cash?

Let me know your thoughts :)

Gilly xxx

P.s. Brookie, where do you live/come from? :)
gemwood

Postby nia_stoyan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:56 pm

hi guys,
great to see so many posts already! I m doing the whole trip by myself. I m packing runners and flip flops but I can't decide on a sleeping bag. 3 or 2 season? don't say MEC has great options. I m not in Canada right now. :)
I m not applying for visas before hand. I m hoping I won't have problems obtaining them at the borders. I m Canadian. what have u done?
I don't like to carry a lot of cash, so I was thinking of relying on cards. I read in other posts that the greatest expense is optional activities and for many you can pay by credit card. I m bringing cash for visas though.
i m arriving at 9:20 pm the night before, so I look forward to meeting u all in the morning.
evgenia
nia_stoyan

Postby brookiie » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:41 pm

Carlson- Thanks, I'll definitely follow that list. Meeting for drinks at 8pm sounds good, I'll be at the hotel from 2-3pm, but it seems like everyone else is ariving later. And the deet does seem like the best option. I can't believe how soon it is too! I have all of my major university examinations next week, four over four days, for the whole of next week, so I haven't even got everything together to do a mock pack, I've just been flat out studying.

Gilly- I'm probably going to take 4 or 5 pre-paid VISA cards with about $300 on each, and then I'll probably take $US 300 in cash, And when I come across an ATM I'll withdraw the entire amount of one VISA card (to incure minumum exorbitent foreign ATM fees). This way, I don't have to take my real VISA which has all my person info on it, and I'll always have enough cash because I'm sure we'll see at least 4 ATM's throughout the trip. And I can distribute them throughout my luggage so if I'm robbed I won't lose my one and only VISA. And also, I'm from Melbourne, Australia. :D

Evgenia- I'm taking a really warm sleeping bag, 0 degrees, because it going to be freezing in the kalahari at night! I sent my passport of to the Kenya High Commission last week, they have been the most difficult embassy so far, got my passport back but it cost me a fortune. They told me I wouldn't be let into Kenya if I didn't pre-arange my visa since there was an embassy in my country and I had more than 5 days. Cost me over $100, since they only accept platinum post and you have to pay return as well. But you'll probably be fine, all they want is the additional revenue. Be sure to bring passport photos just in case!

Is anyone doing anything/ taking anything to avoid/ in case of getting sick? Because everyone says %50 of people that travel to Africa get sick, from food/ water/ swimming ect...

And are any of you bringing jeans? Because I'm thinking that will be my smart casual outfit.

Can't wait to meet all of you!
xoxo
brookiie

Postby markmol » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:58 am

hi Brookiie
I have been on a part of this trip
to answer a couple of your questions, most big towns you go to will have atms, zanzibar, Arusha etc.
The truck you are on will have a safe on it & the CEO is the only 1 with the key, so you can leave your money & passport in there. It will also have a power board on it for charging batteries.
Your CEO will make sure that everyone washes their hands before handling food or eating & getting back on the truck from a comfort stop. I also take a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me, keeping your hands clean is important.
Take a head lamp with you, a lot of the time the truck leaves early & arrives late so you have to put up & take down your tents in the dark.
Also make sure you have a current yellow fever cert, as you need this to enter Zanzibar.

Mark
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby brookiie » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:27 am

Thanks Mark for the tips! Do you have any other reccomendations? Things that other wished they had brought?

Brooke
brookiie

Postby nia_stoyan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:21 am

thanks Mark for the helpful tips.
do you have any recommendations for the obtaining visas before departure? how easy is it to get visas at the border in particularly for Tanzania at the Kenya - Tanzania border?
do you know how easy it is use a Master card in Africa. is it accepted by most tour operators? do you think i can use a master card for paying for most optional activities?
thanks for the advice!
nia_stoyan

Postby markmol » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:07 pm

hi
Visas at the border with Tanzania are easy as, fill in the form pay & your money, there is also a couple of money changers at the border so you change get some money changed if need be. A lot of the camp sites will take US Dollars & give you change in local money. So if you are going to take cash US dollars would be the best, make sure you have small notes & they are in good condition.
I personally did not use a master card to pay for anything but other people did & had no problems.
The other thing i took which was handy was a piece of string that i used for a clothesline, i washed socks & undies in the shower & used the line to dry them.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol

Postby emily.layla » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:52 pm

This is so surreal guys!! I can't believe it's coming so quickly!!

Re sleepingbags: I bought a new one last year for a Canadian camping trip so it's unfortunately rated to -7, but I'll just dress lightly or leave a side open because I cannot afford a new one.

Re bug repellant: I have a couple different measures. I have a bug repellant lotion that I like because I hate the feeling of greasy bug spray. I also have a net to put over me at night if I want to sleep out of my bag.

Re getting sick: I have gone to the travel clinic and gotten the usual stuff (ducural, Imodium, gastrolyte). I garauntee I do get sick because I always do when I travel so I'm am coming well prepared

Re cash: I'm planning on bringing $500USD + Visa card + visa debit card

I have a question for the Canadians; I went to the travel clinic and instead of giving me the yellow fever shot they just gave me a card that says I don't need it. Is this what you guys got or did you actually get the shot?? Is this certificate sufficient to cross all borders??

11 days til I depart! Ahhhhh :o :D
emily.layla

Postby carlson- » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:08 pm

Emily my travel clinic and every book I've read says you need your yellow fever vaccination. You'll have to go back and get it as they give you a certificate and if you can't show it at one of our stops you won't be allowed in - we don't want you missing any part of the trip! :)
I'm taking $600UDS and have a visa and debit visa (as they're the most reliable when travelling apparently). I'm hoping to only use my cards for the extra-activities. Speaking of, anyone down for bungee jumping - yeah!
As for visas, I've really done my research and apparently we can obtain them all at either the airport we arrive in or at the border stops - we just need to have the correct US funds. I'm starting in Uganda and apparently I can use that visa for Kenya & Tanzania however as most of you are coming in via Kenya, you can get it at the airport, should cover you for Tanzania and I think it's $40-$45 USD. This is what I've read on official sites but info changes all the time...also note I'm Canadian so it might be different for other countries.
I'm bringing a pair of jeans but only because I'm leaving from work ha! Only one more day at the office - I'm a little pumped!
Thanks Mark for the idea regarding the string - never would have thought of that.
Is anyone bringing iodine drops for water? I bought them but wonder if I really need? Maybe it's not a bad idea to bring them just in case...
For meeting up the night before let's say 8pm in the lobby of the hotel. Maybe we can grab drinks or eats there and that way as people get sorted they can come join or say hello. Cool?
carlson-

Postby tonym » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:30 am

Hi mark,
Cheers for all the good advice. can I just ask you one or two more?
I am trying to get my head around the tempos and weather to expect and therefore to pack for. I have a sleeping bag for zero degrees, is it okay do you think. The Kalahari will be blood cold I would say yet places like Zanzibar will be hot, hot, hot. What to do?
As regards clothing, obviously I will bring fleece and waterproof but in general, what sort of temps should I pack for?
many thanks.

p.s. You guys, I arrive in Nairobi on Friday night but am NOT staying in the G Hotel, the Boulevard. In case there is any alarm from the guide about the fact I will not be there on the night before, I would appreciate it if any of you could assure him that I will be there for the 7a.m. start and that I am in Nairobi (in the Country Lodge in Upper Hills as recommended by a friend of mine from nairobi as a nice place) In other words, I will be turning up - just last of all I would say - and I haven't missed my flight or anything!

Cheers,

Tony
tonym

Postby markmol » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:25 pm

hi Tony,
the temprature will vary a lot, at Ngorongoro Crater at night it get pretty cold, G supplied us with exrta blankets when we got there. The camp site in Dar Es Salam is very hot & humid at night so no need for a sleeping bag there at all, Zanzibar you stay in hotels with ceiling fans, as you say the Kalahari will be cold, i think a 0 bag will be fine. As for clothing, i find the best way is to use layers, tee shirt, shirt then a fleece, i also take pants with the zip off bottoms, which convert into shorts. As the day warms up you take a layer off.
markmol

Postby stahs » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:28 pm

Hey guys,

I don't know if anyone will end up seeing this since you're all probably in transit or already in Nairobi but I thought I would just post that my first flight was cancelled and I had to reschedule all my connections so I get there at 2:30am now. I won't be able to make it to drinks/dinner in the hotel. Looking forward to meeting everyone the morning of the tour!

Stahs
stahs

Previous

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge