ATHB130317: Hike, Bike, Kayak Thailand- March 17

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

ATHB130317: Hike, Bike, Kayak Thailand- March 17

Postby hoppmegg » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:17 pm

Hi there,

I'm heading out on March 17th for the 'Hike, Bike, Kayak' trip to Thailand. I'm 28 and coming from NYC. This will be my first time in SE Asia, and I would love to connect with other going on this trip. I have a few questions about packing, etc., and it would also be fun to know who else is going!

Let me know if you're on this trip as well- looking forward to speaking with you!

Cheers,
Meggie
hoppmegg
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: ATHB130317: Hike, Bike, Kayak Thailand- March 17

Postby kimpeter » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:54 am

Hi Meggie:
I will be joining this adventure with you. My name is Kim, I am coming from Minnesota, I am 56 and this is my first time in Asia. I am afraid I cannot be of much help in the packing department as I am in the same boat as you. I look forward to meeting you and having a fabulous trip!!!
kimpeter

Postby daviduk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi Kim and Maggie,
I'm Dave from the UK and I'm also on this trip. There is some useful information on the G Adventures website:
http://www.gadventures.com/trips/thaila ... resources/
I suggest looking at the trip details pdf - scroll down to CHECKLIST. Does this help?
David
daviduk

Postby hoppmegg » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:21 pm

Thanks Dave! Yeah, I definitely saw that. I was more thinking specifically like
-- What type of warm clothes? Like a sweatshirt of just long sleeve shirt?
-- For hiking, will regular running shoes work? Or do we need legit hiking shoes.

Maybe I'm overthinking, but I've never been to Asia before and I'm not sure how hot/cold/muddy, etc. it will be.

In either way, look forward to meeting you both on the trip!

Meggie
hoppmegg

Postby kimpeter » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:31 pm

Hi Dave:
Nice to hear you are also joining us!
I am sure like Meggie I am overthinking everything of this trip! I guess we can all bring what we have & it will all be great!
kimpeter

Postby daviduk » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Googling where we will be travelling (in degrees):
Bangkok - 35 day, 28 night
Kanchanaburi - 38 day, 29 night
Chiang Mai - 37 day, 24 night
Krabi - 32 day, 24 night
Overall hot but with some rain showers - I would suggest mainly light cloths and good shoes for walking, some waterproofs for when it rains, and Warmer cloths for the evening.
I'm packing lots of midge spray as the find me particularly irresistible.
Later on in the trip I would suggest some entertainment for the long train and van journeys e.g. cards etc., and some beach cloths for the kayaking.
Have you decided if you will take Malaria tables and if so, which ones?
What day/time are you planning to arrive? I land Sunday morning and will make my way over for about midday.
daviduk

Postby kimpeter » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi: I will arrive in Bangkok about 10:50 am on March 17th.

Kim
kimpeter

Postby lola77 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:19 am

Hi Everybody!

My husband and I are on this trip too. We are from Vancouver, Canada. We are really looking forward to it! We won't arrive until almost midnight on March 17th so we won't get to meet you all until the next morning when we go for our tour around Bangkok.
As far as malaria pills, we will be getting them before we leave. Apparently it's needed especially as we are going into a malaria zone on the hill tribe trek. We are told the other areas are more minor but needed for the northern portion of the trip. We will also be bringing a mosquito net. Bugs love me ! Not sure about shoes. I'm still deciding...
Good luck with the packing everyone:)
lola77

Postby daviduk » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:47 pm

Hi Kim, Meggie, and the couple from Canada,
Only a couple of days to go and i'm getting very excited. I assume there will be more than 5 of us on the trip!!!
The pills I've opted for are Malarone. I'll only take them for the 3 days we are trecking in the north (+2 days before and 7 afterwards). This seems the best option for me.
For shoes, i'm opting for a sturdy shoe for walking, trainers for the majority of the trip and some rubbery shoes for the beach.
I'm also planning to bring my own sleeping bag and camping matt - not sure i'm going to enjoy carrying all this around but hay ho.
I look forward to meeting those that have arrived and want to attend the briefing and meal on Sunday night, and will meet the rest of you later on.
David
daviduk

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge