XLPQSX121212: Patagonia/Quest Antarctic Circle Dec 12, 2012

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

XLPQSX121212: Patagonia/Quest Antarctic Circle Dec 12, 2012

Postby shelchan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:02 pm

My fiance and I initially met over a desire to visit Antarctica so it was a fitting choice for our honeymoon. We're active in a travel community in our hometown and love to meet fellow travelers on our journeys around the world. Anyone else taking the Patagonia Experience & Quest for the Antarctic Circle trip in December 2012? If you're only taking the cruise portion, it leaves on December 21st I believe.

Looking forward to meeting you!
shelchan
User Rank: Traveller

Re: XLPQSX121212: Patagonia/Quest Antarctic Circle Dec 12, 2

Postby azzastan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi, Myself and my friend Kim are going on the Quest for the Antarctic circle departing Dec 21st! So we should be on the same expedition cruise. We both did the Realm of the polar bear expedition about two years ago with Gap Adventures. I am from Melbourne, Australia and Kim is from Chicago, USA.
azzastan
User Rank: Weekender

Postby shelchan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:00 pm

Hello! That's great news! We should definitely be on the same expedition, then as that's the timeframe for the cruise portion of the trip. Four months to go as of today... getting excited! :) My fiance (well, husband at that point!) and I will look forward to meeting you! Would love to hear about the arctic trip.

Are you going to do the camping or the kayaking add-ons? We couldn't decide and so we wound up adding on both. Figure it's once in a lifetime so why not? :)
shelchan

Postby esackley » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:45 pm

Three more Quest travellers leaving December 21st (although the M/S Expedition actually leaves port on the 22nd)! I'm Ed and I'll be joined by my two adult children, Ed (31) & Mary (27). My wife opted for Phoenix instead of another Drake Passage crossing! We were on a Regent cruise two years ago from Lima to Buenos Aires that cruised the Antarctic Peninsula and also visited the Falklands. The prospect of stepping ashore is brining me back with my kids. We're from Michigan, although my daughter is living in Madrid for at least the next year. We did opt for both the kayak and camping adventures. We'll be in Buenos Aires for a week before heading to Ushuaia on the 21st. It's a pleasure to meet you! I'm a Chicago native and all of us have been to Melbourne, so we're almost family!

Ed Sackley
esackley
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby shelchan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:17 pm

Hi, Ed!

That's great! Ryan (my husband) and I wound up sticking to our guns and we'll be kayaking/camping as well. Our travels are limited to Europe and North America so far, but we're looking forward to adding on to our list of places visits and having a new experience. :)

I forgot to mention my name earlier... I'm Michelle! My now-husband and I are coming out of Atlanta so it will be a stark difference from our usual winters of sunshine and dry weather! Excited to meet everyone and get on the boat!
shelchan

Postby twernham » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:41 am

Hi.

This is Helen and Tony. We are from the UK and are also on our Honeymoon. (Got married in May, so it's a bit delayed).

We took the M/S Expedition to Svalbard in August last year, and we were hooked, so getting back aboard the same ship will be like seeing an old friend again.

Is anyone intending to do anything special for Christmas Day?

Tony
twernham

Postby shelchan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:37 pm

Congrats, Helen and Tony! Glad to see we aren't the only "crazy" people going to the end of the earth for a honeymoon. It's going to be so much fun! :)

We haven't really thought about any plans outside of whatever they are planning on the ship. I think it will be a unique way to spend Christmas and ring in the new year, though.
shelchan

Postby twernham » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:28 am

We had a thought that we might dress formally for dinner on Christmas Day just for the sake of it. (After all, we are British :? ).

We have been on the Svalbard tour just over a year ago aboard the same ship, and know that its all pretty casual (which suits us), but dressing up formally with black tie and evening gown for one night only in the Antarctic might be fun. Having said that, it's a lot extra to carry all the way from London for just one night.

Probably won't bother...
twernham

Postby origcavy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi! I'm Kris and will be on that trip too. :)

I'm signed up for the camping (friends and family think I'm absolutely crazy for that one) but not the kayaking. I have nothing special planned for Christmas (it's Antarctica, isn't that special enough??) :D
origcavy

Postby nocturnal » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:41 am

Hi everyone! I'll be on the Quest tour as well. This will be my first trip with G Adventures and I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Going solo, so if anyone is staying in Buenos Aires and/or Ushuaia before departure to Antarctica and wants to meet up for a coffee or something, that would be nice :D
nocturnal

Postby hwu125 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi guys!

I'm Howard and I will be traveling solo on the Quest tour. Been doing lots of reading up on other users' experiences in Antarctica and I'm absolutely excited. First time with G Adventures and definitely looking forward to it.

@nocturnal, I'll be Buenos Aires before my departure to Ushuaia as well.
If anyone else would like to meet up beforehand, that'd be great! :D
hwu125

Postby shelchan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:20 pm

I don't think we get into Ushuaia from the Patagonia trip until late the night before the ship leaves, but I may be wrong. I'll have to take a look at the itinerary again, but we'll all definitely see each other on the ship!

The camping definitely excites me. If they say it's safe to go, I'm going to vote going. I'd hate to miss the only chance we may have!
shelchan

Postby azzastan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:59 pm

Great to see everyone's postings..... I have not visited the site for a while.... Myself and Kim have the following plans.
17th Dec Fly into Buenos Aires - 1 night
18th - 20th Ushuaia staying at the Lennox Ushuaia.
21st - 3rd Expedition cruise
3rd Jan - Fly to Buenos Aires - 2 nights

No plans for Christmas or new years this year.... maybe the ploar bear bar (maybe it might be named the penguin bar this time?) Looking fwd to catching up with all the staff again :)

Has anyone booked any activites in Ushuaia? Been a bit slack, we had looked into a few tours with http://www.canalfun.com/

When I did the Arctic we met a few people before the expedition in Oslo and Longyearbyen and was really good. Anyone up to meet in the days leading up to the expedition?

Has anyone learnt any Spanish? I haven't :/
Chat to everyone soon. Aaron.
azzastan

Postby azzastan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:01 pm

Oh myself and Kim are doing the Camping. It was sold out, but due to it being popular they made more positions :D
azzastan

Postby origcavy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:27 pm

Aaron,

Learn a handful of phrases of Spanish and you'll be set! I've always found that if you make an attempt at basic courtesy in the local language, people are more than happy to play charades with you for everything else.

I make no promises of accuracy, but this is what I remember from college Spanish. :)

Thank you = gracias
please = por favor
yes = si
no = no
1, 2, 3... = uno, dos, tres, quatro, cinco, seis, siete, ocho, nueve, diez.
How much does this cost? = Cuanto cuesta? Writing down numbers back and forth in a notebook or using a basic calculator works great for negotiating prices.
Where is a bathroom? = Donde esta el bano? (pronounced bahn-yo) You can always do the little kid pee-pee dance if you forget the phrase. :lol:

I'm bummed that I have less than 24 hours in BA and only arrive in Ushuaia on the 21st, and then fly straight home after. :( I wish I had more time but will be using up all of my vacation time as it is.

Here's to praying that the flight gods cooperate and don't cause any delays/cancelations!
origcavy

Next

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge