Indochina Discovery 18/01/2013

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Indochina Discovery 18/01/2013

Postby catherine_clare86 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:58 pm

Yep, the kindle is really quite straight forward, I've got hooked on downloading any decent (and cheap) book I can find.

I'm only organised because I have very little time now, except for new years day, I'm in work every week day until the Tuesday before we go, and going to be quite busy the weekend before we fly out, so that only really leaves me with next weekend to sort everything out! Gosh that sounds scary when I write it down like that - eek!

Ooh mosquito net and travel pillow - that's going on my 'to buy' list lol!

xxx
catherine_clare86
User Rank: Traveller

Postby bekki_slinn » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:07 pm

Ah thats good then, I will get downloading when I get it :)

I forgot you were still working, thats really close to when we go too!! Hopefully I will catch up with your organisation soon haha!

I have a feeling I still have things to add to my 'to buy' list too haha!

xxx
bekki_slinn

Postby catherine_clare86 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Ooh two weeks!!! How's the packing going? I'm mainly sorted I think, sure there will be a last minute panic though ;). What are you doing re: money? I've got two cards and will probably bring £100 that I can exchange at airport, I think xxx
catherine_clare86

Postby bekki_slinn » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:05 am

Less than 2 weeks now!! It's coming around so quickly!!

Packing still hasn't started haha, seen all my friends this weekend to say bye and this week is defo the week to get some packing sorted! I am very jealous of how organised you are!

I just came on to ask you exactly the same question haha. Are you getting any money converted into US dollars to take with you? If you are how much are you changing? I have a cash card too, think im just going to keep moving money from my normal account into there as and when I need it.

xxxx
bekki_slinn

Postby catherine_clare86 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:14 pm

Yep, what I've done is I have a cash card from the post office, and I have another card so I'm taking around £400 on both of those, and then taking about £100 worth of dollars in cash. I'm thinking of changing about half of that at the airport to baht and leaving the other half for the first day or so in Cambodia. Have heard that ATMs are very common, so withdrawing should not be a problem at all :) Yep that probably easier for you to transfer from your account, as it'll be hard to estimate how much you will need for the whole of your trip. Think they estimate $40 per day for SE Asia, and that includes accommodation and travel, which we don't need to worry about.

Haha, like I said before, I have so little time its scary. But I have also been given the task of organising my brother (he announced over christmas he's moving to Canada for a year in 2 weeks on a working holiday visa) so I've created check lists, plans and taking him shopping for everything next week, lol!

Not long till we all meet :D

xxxx
catherine_clare86

Postby bekki_slinn » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:30 pm

Sounds like we're doing exactly the same with money haha, so are you taking £50 worth of USD and £50 worth of Baht? I wasn't sure whether to get any Baht in advance or just withdraw it while I'm there. It's good that there should be plenty of ATM's around though!

Wow he left that last minute haha, good job he has you to organise everything for him! I have taken the first step of getting organised today... I bought a pad of massive paper and felt tips to make lists to stick on my wall! Will hopefully have everything ready by the end of the week!

xxxx
bekki_slinn

Postby catherine_clare86 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Yeah I am, well kind of. I'm going to take £100 worth of dollars which I'll exchange here in Britain into dollars, then change half when I'm at suvarnabhumi (apparently, get a better rate over there ). Feeling slightly better about transferring flights front, I'm changing at Amsterdam and they have a video on what to do if you have a transfer on their website.

Yep, he definitely did. My mom's gonna be a bit of a nervous wreck, especially during the time we're both away lol! Yay, well done :D, you'll be fine. Can't believe it's come round so quick, been having a look at 14 day forecast and it's 30 degrees +

xxxx
catherine_clare86

Postby bekki_slinn » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:10 pm

Thats a good idea, hadn't thought of doing that! I hadn't thought of having a look on the airports website about changing flights either - Will have to have a look later!

Yeh I bet it will be strange for your mum having you both away at the same time haha! Posters are now up and I am slowly starting to cross things off. Just hoping I can still fit into all of my clothes after Christmas! Wow 30 degrees sounds lovely! I can't believe that we are going next week!

xxxx
bekki_slinn

Postby catherine_clare86 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:42 pm

1 week :mrgreen: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxxx
catherine_clare86

Postby bekki_slinn » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:11 pm

Not long left at all now! Exciting stuff :D Just hoping its not going to snow too much this week now, would hate not to be able to fly!!

Have you got everything packed now? How much clothes are you taking? Thats the only stuff I have left to pack now and have no idea what to take.

Are you still working this week or have you finished now ready for holiday time?

xxxx
bekki_slinn

Postby catherine_clare86 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:38 pm

I feel like I'm taking loads, I've got one pair of trousers, a fleece (gonna wear these for the flight) a couple of cover ups, a couple of pairs of shorts, a couple of skirts, jumpsuit, pjs,couple of dresses, couple of tops, bikini and underwear lol. It says on the checklist to bring hat and gloves if you are travelling between November and February but I'm sure cold for there is still pretty warm compared to our climate here in England. Almost everything except those things I'm still using such as straighteners and phone charger etc.

I know, fingers crossed we'll be OK. Weather forecast says there may be some snow overnight tonight/tomorrow am but Tuesday onwards looks fine, hope that is how it'll stay.

Is your flight in the morning or afternoon on Thursday? Not sure if I've already asked you that. Mine leaves at 11.15am.

Nope, in tomorrow and Tuesday, and then I have my trip up north on Wednesday lol! So, no time left eek.

xxxx
catherine_clare86

Postby bekki_slinn » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:17 pm

I'm glad you have quite a lot on your list haha, was worried I was going to be taking so much! Are your PJ's long ones or shorts? I can't decide which to take? My friends in Thailand at the moment and its 30 degrees so I don't think we will freeze haha.

Yeh I'm worried either the flight will be snowed off or it will be too snowy for the drive all the way to London.

My flight goes at 10.05 in the morning on Thursday. Get there at 7.30 am on the Friday so I think I will be there a bit before you?

Gosh you have a busy week! I think I would rather have things to do though, I'm going to be stressing out for the rest of the week now!

xxxx
bekki_slinn

Postby catherine_clare86 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:52 pm

Well I've taken both (I've got some lil shorts pjs that go with a red pj top, and long trousers that go with a red pj top, so 1 top to 2 bottoms, but the shorts won't take much space in my bag so thought I'd try and do both) Ooh much better weather than UK haha. I've been gloating at work today, it's been fun :P

Hopefully most of the snow has been and gone. Do you have far to travel to the airport then?

Yeah you'll have a few more hours than me, I arrive at 10.05 on the Friday.

Have you much left to do? I'm leaving my last things to pack till Wednesday night when I no longer need to use them here :D

xxxx
catherine_clare86

Postby bekki_slinn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:50 pm

I have packed both shorts and long ones now haha, my bag still isn't full! I think I still have a couple of bits to pack though. Starting to stress that I have forgotten something now! This time tomorrow we will be flying! Exciting stuff!!

Luckily snow has pretty much gone off the roads so should be able to get to the airport OK. I live in Nottingham and have to get to Heathrow to fly so will be about a 3 hour drive I think.

I am still sorting out my last few things, mainly my folder full of documents needed to travel! Probably should have sorted that one out a bit sooner haha.

Have you got everything packed now?

xxxx
bekki_slinn

Postby catherine_clare86 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:51 pm

Haha, I'm exactly the same. Keep telling myself though, as long as we have the important things like passport and stuff to travel with, sure we can buy anything we need over there :). Yeah just finished, everything is sorted now, fingers crossed!

See you in about a day and a half. Have a safe journey:D

xxxx
catherine_clare86

Previous

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge