XVSHSX- Spirit of Shackleton January 2013

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: XVSHSX- Spirit of Shackleton January 2013

Postby jen_the_rockhopper » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:49 pm

to think this time in next month we will be having a great time aboard the ship!

(I hope the Mayans got it wrong and the world doesnt end in a week :lol: )
jen_the_rockhopper
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby bobwil » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:51 pm

Hi All
Well its 32 Celsius here in Brisbane Australia and this time next month it will be just or just below freezing. Hope you all have a great xmas and a happy and safe new year.
Looking forward to meeting you all and enjoying the great adventure we are about to go on
bobwil
User Rank: Weekender

Postby pete in boise » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:52 pm

Season Greetings!

I too am looking forward to meeting you all too. Putting the finishing touches on trip preparations. Gloves, memory cards, finishing "to do" lists and arranging transport in BA. My grandson who suffers terribly from motion sickness gave me an over the counter remedy that is a film that melts on tongue!

See you all soon!
pete in boise
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby bobwil » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:11 am

Well the END OF THE WORLD didnt happen so guess I havnt wasted my money after all lol and will get to see Antarctica after all.
Cant wait, just need to get past xmas and new year and we will be on our way.
Think I have finished packing and ironing and checking lol.

regards
bob
bobwil

Postby bobwil » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Ho ho ho
Merry Xmas !!
found this excellent link for doing a check list went thru it and have most of it.
The link is this year and very recent. Hope you're all well and didnt eat too much xmas lunch.
(Like me)

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic ... tures.html
bobwil

Postby Karn » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:04 am

Merry Christmas!!
Bob, thanks for the link that was really informative. I have most of it, but it had some good ideas I had not thought of.
Cannot believe how close it is getting now!!
Karn

Postby nellytemps » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:27 am

Hello Everyone

Only discovered this site about a week ago. It has been good to read all the comments. We are also joining the cruise and have booked to camp as well. Most of our gear is organised, just need to test if it will fit in the case.

We arrive in Buenos Aires on Thursday10 Jan (after leaving Melbourne Australia earlier that day) , and fly to Ushuaia on Friday 11 Jan at 6.20 am. That should jolt us into the time zone fairly smartly. Is anyone else on this early morning flight?

Jenelle and Ewen
nellytemps

Postby jen_the_rockhopper » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:19 pm

so much to do and so little time it seems LOL
Need to print off all my documents, pay the reciprocity fee, gather my stuff here, get to my parents and do final packing and hope I have not forgotten anything. And remember my passport! LOL My brain has been so out of it lately putting in all kinds of overtime at work I fear this would be the darned thing I would forget. Though I figure print the stuff I need, have passport and fee paid and some clothing and camera and I should be good. I just hope we do not get another winter storm here that cancels flights! Eeps! That would not be good
jen_the_rockhopper

Postby bobwil » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi Jenelle
We will be flying the same day as you but the 08:30 am flight down to Ushuaia so guess you can tell us all about the place when we arrive at the Hotel. We leave Brisbane on the 8th and have a couple of days in Buenos Aires before flying down. Looking forwarded to the trip and for us its only 7 days away or 1 weekend to go.
bobwil

Postby wendy woo » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:24 am

Hi Jenelle & Ewen
yes only found out about this site the last few weeks too. I am also flying out of Melbourne on the 10th then flying to Ushuaia on the 6:20 am on the 11th. yeek only just saw that silly hour. Not much time in BA with only arriving at 5:20pm the night before. Have longer on the way back & am luck enough to have been to BA before. Are you staying at the De Las Americas Hotel in BA?

So excited about this trip. Think I am organised.

Not doing camping but am Kayaking.

Looking forward to meeting some great new travellers in 11 dyas :D
wendy woo

Postby twh » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:14 am

Happy New Year!!!!! I had such a busy 2012 that's couldn't quite believe that 2013 has arrived so soon! But here it is and it is going to be amazing...starting with our trip in a few days time!!! Very excited to meet all of you and have endless hours of wonder and merriment! I have travelled with G on this ship to the Arctic...a very special experience. With 20 hours of daylight ahead of us there will be lots of exploring, story sharing and cozy nights at the Polar Bear Pub on board! Safe travels everyone...looking forward to a legendary adventure with you!
twh

Postby bobwil » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:49 am

Hi All
had a discussion with the boss today and he has these great plans for my monday next week which dont seem to gel with my plans. I would like to come to work and have coffee, close jobs for that day (already done on friday) put out of office in outlook (and drop reason is going to Antarctic), put phone to vm, have another coffee and leave about midday.
What to do as he wants me to work (horrid four letter word) till at least 4 pm
Cant have that
SO to my new friends what is my reason to leave at midday
over to you lol
bobwil

Postby nellytemps » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:32 pm

Sorry Bob, not very creative on excuses. (You could simply leave the light on, close the door and leave). It took 9 months to get approval for my leave and that was only confirmed about a month ago. Regarding checking out the sights of Ushuaia, according to one of our orienteering friends, allow 10 minutes to stroll down one side of the street, another 10 minutes to stroll down the other side and the rest of the time on an extended coffee break.

Wendy
We are staying at Hotel Melia in Buenos Aires so will probably meet up with you in Ushuaia.

Safe travels everyone

Ewen and Jenelle
nellytemps

Postby jen_the_rockhopper » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:15 pm

Call in zombie? Decaffeinated? Dead? Pre-pecked by penguins? Anticipatory Antarcticitis? :lol:

THankfully I finish up work this Friday at 3pm and just hope beyond hope to stay healthy. 4 of my 5 coworkers are off sick! YIPES! Orange juice, garlic, spicy foods all abound. Any other ideas of keeping evil germies away?
jen_the_rockhopper

Postby Karn » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:43 pm

Hey Bob,

I feel your pain, my last day of work was supposed to be this Friday, but have received a subpoena for work to apear in court for Jan 7 and 9. I now have to supply documents to prove I will be out of the country on the 9th. The only good thing about it is I get one of my vacations days back.

Jen, most of the people at my work are also sick so I am trying to keep away from everyone as much as possible.

Can't wait to meet everyone soon!
Karn

PreviousNext

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge