Delhi to Kathmandu

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Delhi to Kathmandu

Postby eastyg » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:49 am

All tips have been great. What about clothing and shoes, any suggestions? I am sure people were buying lots of items. What did they do, how did they carry them or did they send them home? Any tips about the overnight sleeper?
Appreciate any help
eastyg
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby collywobbles » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:47 pm

Hi eastyg :D

For footwear I took a pair of runners for when I was doing the elephant safari in Chitwan. Closed shoes were a big help as elephants dont stick to paths :lol: And I wore sandles for most of my other days in India and Nepal except when we hiked up Sarangkot in Nepal .I wore runners as we hiked backed down to Pokahara after the Sunrise Hike. The hike back took about 2hours and It was through rough terrain. Also flip flops for showers at hotels. Clothing was tee shirts and cargo trs. A fleece for cool nights and early moning hike. A rain jacket. we got caught in a monsoon shower the day we arrived in Kathmandhu at the Monkey temple. The over night train was very comfy . 6 berths which became beds. They just clip up . 3 tier on each side. They provide pillows and blankets ,but to be honest they were not very clean. I brought a pillowcase and stuffed it with some clothes to use as a pillow. Some people brought a sleeping bag liner. Bring toilet roll. The facilities are :roll: :roll: . We had to buy food before we boarded the train.There is no trolly service or place to buy a drink. Bring plenty bottle water. Bring ear plugs to drown out noise at night. You have people moving around all night . I was lucky , I had the bottom bunk so I could stick my bag under bunk. The compartments have curtains but we had guys coming in to sweep our compartment several times. Our guide had to give out to them. Any other question feel free to ask away .

Cheers :D
Last edited by collywobbles on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby pat128 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:03 pm

How much money to take on this trip. What currency will i need to pay for a visa into Nepal.Will UK £ be ok?
pat128

Postby chardonais » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:28 pm

pat128 wrote:How much money to take on this trip. What currency will i need to pay for a visa into Nepal.Will UK £ be ok?

I was just there in April and can't remember if you could use UK :oops:

Ere on the side of caution and have US on hand - you will also need a photo for the visa.

As far as how much money to take - I found things to be a lot less expensive than I was expecting. I budgeted $50/day and I came back with money. I didn't scrimp either, and brought home a lot of stuff.

I have taken the flight from Pohkara to Kathmandu twice and have been thankful for it each time. There are numerous flights each day - the first time I booked it the day previous to leaving so it's not something you need to worry about. Flight is about 45min, cost was around $90US, plus you need to factor in taxis. The airport in Pohkara is no more than 10 minutes away, Kathmandu around 30min depending on traffic. There is a prepaid taxi stand just outside the airport in Kath so you don't need to haggle and if divided between 2 or 3 people, is not that bad - I think 600NPR, or $10US (but don't quote me on that :wink: ). The flight leaving Pohkara will more than likely be delayed and it is a small local airport. Take a book and some snacks (there is a snack stand upstairs if needed).

This is a great trip guys! My favorite so far!

Dianna

chardonais

Postby alabama-on-tour » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:06 pm

Hi All

I am interested in doing this tour in 2013, can anyone advise whether I should plan extra time in Kathmandu?

Thanks
alabama-on-tour
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby eastyg » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:07 am

Hi
I know it may depend on availabilty, but can anyone provide an idea on what accommodation is like. What rating and where do we usually stay in the cities? Also, how easy is it to send any purchases back home
eastyg

Postby tina86 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:13 pm

@ Alabama, my sister did the tour and I planned to do it also, she said its better if you stay more days after the tour cause you get to do more things you would like to do.

For example if your tour end up at Kathmandu you can stay one or two days more, hotels prices are kinda cheap, so you'll definitly find things to do and you get to rest before your departure also.
tina86

Postby moviegeekjn » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:20 pm

alabama-on-tour wrote:Hi All

I am interested in doing this tour in 2013, can anyone advise whether I should plan extra time in Kathmandu?

Thanks

Wonderful place is Kathmandu--lots to see and do. Rates are cheap and G Adventures hotel is well located, so an extra day or two is well worth doing!
moviegeekjn
User Rank: Nomad

Postby collywobbles » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:26 pm

hi eastyg

Hotel accomadation on the delhi kathmandhu trip is quiet good. The joining hotel was only ok. I think they have changed it since i was there in august 2011. The rest in agra jaiphur are fine. The Biassau palace in Jaiphur was like an old Palace Guys dressed in turbans and old style pants like long ago . It was great. In orchha we stayed in permanent tents. They were fab . Had everything you would get in a hotel room. It was one of my favourite places.Also in Chitwan the place we stayed was great too. Just a word of warning. You settle all your bills when you check out of that pace. Drinks food trips etc. Some of us wanted to pay as we ordered but could nor do that. Other than that it is a lovely place. I think the worst hotel we stayed in was the one in Veranasai but that one has been changed to a different one. In kathmandhu we stayed in the Fugii guesthouse/hotel. It was very central and clean and comfy free wifi in lobby as well as computers for guests to use should you need to do so. Its about 20 min taxi ride to Airport from there. Overall a good standard of hotels on this tour. :D
Last edited by collywobbles on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
collywobbles

Postby collywobbles » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Hi pat128

I took Euros with me. So I think You will be able to change pounds for rupees. The visa for Nepal in 25usd and a photo so i think you shud have usd with you when you go to get your visa. For extra activities all prices were quoted in USD. But I think you may b able to pay in Pounds. I went Paragliding and I paid 100 usd for it . I also took the early morning flight over everest and paid in Usd. I think it was 170 but im not sure.
collywobbles

Postby eastyg » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:59 pm

Hey colywobbles,
Great feedback. Thanks for all the advice. We go in four weeks.pretty excited, we go from katmandu and then stay another two weeks on our own, traveling down south. Did any of your group by stuff and send it home. I am from Australia
Cheers
eastyg

Postby collywobbles » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:58 am

Eastyg

We did have Australians on out tour as well. They bought some stuff but as far as I can remember they did not post it back. It was silk quilts and covers stuff like that. You can post them back but I am not too sure how much it would cost. Check it out when you get there. There are trips to silk factory. wood block printing and carpet weaving . These were optional but it was great to see them. as usual expect the hard sell when you get there. :P
collywobbles

Postby moviegeekjn » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Some of the retailers will ship items -- varies from merchant to merchant.
moviegeekjn

Postby alfra » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:01 am

Hi,

I´ve booked this tour departing on 2012/11/17.
I first made a hold option on 2012/10/07 and then confirmed on 2012/10/09, replaying the e-mail.
After this, i have not received an answer of G Adventures yet.
Where can I view that my booking is OK?

Regards

Gustavo
alfra

Postby tletter » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:13 pm

alfra wrote:Where can I view that my booking is OK?

Assuming that you've paid then you should receive an email with confirmation of payment and a link to where you can get your invoice and trip voucher. However you said that you "confirmed on 2012/10/09" but today is still 2012/10/09 so you might have to wait a couple of days.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Please feel free to check out my travel website at http://travelogues.x10.mx/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

PreviousNext

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge