Delhi to Kathmandu

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Delhi to Kathmandu

Postby jennyg » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:09 pm

We are heading off this week. So looking forward to it. Any last minute tips?
jennyg
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Delhi to Kathmandu

Postby whatcher » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:21 am

My tip would be to carry as much small change as possible. They do take Indian money in Nepal but not large notes. Have fun! I went on this trip and it was great.

-Bill
whatcher
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby Collette » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:29 am

If you can afford it ($92 US?), fly from Pokhara to Kathmandu rather than endure the gruelling bus ride. When I did this, our trip leader gave me an itinerary to follow and directions on when and where to meet the group. I spent a fantastic day in Kathmandu seeing sites the rest of the group never had a chance to see.

Oh, and I've mentioned this many times before, but it bears repeating...bring a nail brush for your feet! :lol: The one thing that drove me crazy was how dirty my feet got on this trip!

I also recommend you bring a spare pair of sunglasses. I lost mine in Agra and it was nearly impossible to find sunglasses for sale (Indians aren't big sunglass wearers!).

Have an amazing time! Here is a link to the pictures I took while I was there http://www.flickr.com/photos/collettev/ ... 043821628/

Collette
Collette
User Rank: Nomad

Postby jennyg » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:10 am

Thank you both. We are mid fifties, so hope we fit in with the rest of the group.
I have budgeted for the extra flight just in case & I did put in a nail brush after reading your suggestion to someone else. Your pictures look great. We leave tomorrow night so getting excited.
jennyg

Postby eastyg » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:49 am

Hi
We are in the same age group and going in November. Did you enjoy yourself, any tips?
I hope you are still checking this forum. :D
eastyg

Postby collywobbles » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:14 am

hi eastyg :D

I also did this trip last august and I agree with collette on the nailbrush. It will be your best friend. Also a head torch another best friend. Power outtages are a common occurence over there and when you get back to your hotels at night from having a meal out it can be quiet dark in some places. Small change is good. Also as collette said if you can fly from pokahara to kathmandhu do it. Trust me i wished i did. It was a long bumpy ride to kathmandhu and we got caught in a 20km tailback of traffic jams. trucks breaking down ,accidents etc. We eventually got to kathmandhu late in the evening. It is a fantastic trip and i hope you will enjoy it.

Also make sure you pack something for the delhi belly . and some loo roll would be a help on the train journeys there are 3 train journeys the longest one is to veranasai which is an over night one. Anymore questions please ask away. My photos are on http://www.flickr.com/photos/collywobbles .It willgive you some idea of the places you will see.

cheers :D
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby manicmom » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:22 am

Re: flight to Kathmandu.

Is this an option we will be offered when we are there? We are arriving Delhi 17th November 2012, is there anyone out there on this trip also.

Sarah :?:
manicmom

Postby collywobbles » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:25 pm

manicmom wrote:Re: flight to Kathmandu.

Is this an option we will be offered when we are there? We are arriving Delhi 17th November 2012, is there anyone out there on this trip also.

Sarah :?:

You will probably need to speak to your guide when in pokahara and they will advise you on it.
:D
collywobbles

Postby moviegeekjn » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:54 pm

One of our group became seriously ill, so our guide really needed to stay with her in Pokahara. Our entire group decided to ease the situation by flying to Kathmandu, and we all did so at a reasonable cost.
moviegeekjn

Postby lyn6358 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:23 pm

I know that many have suggested taking the flight between Pokhara and Kathmandu. I always question that because in flying you are missing so much of the countryside as you travel.

I guess I am just asking for a little more input as to the pros & cons of taking the flight. I am taking the tour in Oct-Nov and have decided that i will play it by ear as far as what I will do. I am in Kathmandu for a couple of days after the tour ends so will have a little bit more time in that area to explore.

Thanks
lyn6358
User Rank: Weekender

Postby collywobbles » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:37 pm

hi lyn6358

I did not take the flight to Kathmandhu when I did this trip. As far as I am aware you arrive about the same time as the people who take the mini bus. None of my group took the option of the flight. we thought that as we left quiet early we would arrive at a reasonable time. We stopped at a cafe for a break mid morning. The roads were very bumpy and busy and dusty . You do get to see alot of local traffic. We even skipped lunch in order to arrive earlier but we actually arrived quiet late in the evening. We got stuck in a 20km traffic jam. There are pros and cons to driving to kathmandhu as against flying to kathmandhu. Flying would probably be easier. But Im sure people who have taken the flight will post on this. Its a toss of a coin fly to Kathmandhu or bus it . If I had my time over I would fly to Kathmandhu .

Cheers
this probably wont make your decision any easier hahah :?
Enjoy this trip . It is a great trip.
collywobbles

Postby lyn6358 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:14 am

Thanks for your input. One more question for you.

Did you see any different scenery by driving that day or was it similar to the other days?
lyn6358

Postby collywobbles » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:16 pm

hey lyn6358

To answer your question regarding If we saw scenery different from other trips the answer is no. It was much the same no matter where we drove. :?
collywobbles

Postby lyn6358 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:04 pm

Thanks - that is actually a big help. I am thinking that I will probably go along with the group, but if there are others flying I may just do that. If the scenery is pretty much the same as the rest of the trip - from the NP through to Pokhara and they don't stop at any special places along the way then I will be just as happy to take the flight.
5 weeks till I leave on my trip!
lyn6358

Postby collywobbles » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:45 pm

Hi lyn6358

Hope you have a fab trip and be sure that when you come back be sure to post on how you got on. It is a fantastic trip but be warned the streets in Delhi are quiet manky as are Jaiphur and veranasai. Also take care when you are out and about as you will probably be hasseled for money. Tips for everything. Also I found that when we were waiting for trains at the train stations (we had 3 train journeys) the men would be constantly taking your picture with their phones. Sometimes it was very annoying other times we just ignored them. Other than that go with flow and have a ball. Mind you dont get Delhi Belly ! :D

cheers
collywobbles

Next

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge