Create Your Own Adventure part 2

If you have feedback or a suggestion regarding your recent G Adventures experience, or comments pertaining to Customer Service please post it here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy, Customer_Service

Create Your Own Adventure part 2

Postby dreaded_luggage » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:46 am

The website seems to have disappeared, which is annoying. I do hope you archived the top 1% or 2% or something like that. There were some ideas in there I really liked, as well as my own entries.

I have a suggestion / request for another one: canoe the Nam Xong, in Laos, from Nam Noi or Thin On if possible, or from Nam Kai if the water's low, downriver via Pha Tang and Vang Vieng to Houay Dokmai or even Thalat.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ll=18 ... 24604cb554

..... with homestays or camping on the riverbank for YOLO / Basic types and minibus to and from a hotel for the Comfort lovers.
dreaded_luggage
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Create Your Own Adventure part 2

Postby dreaded_luggage » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:24 am

Here's another one from the competition: sail Vietnam's coast

Start and finish in Hanoi.

Dependent on available boats and weather ...

1) Arrive Hanoi.
2) Transfer to Mong Cai, right on the Chinese border. Meet your local guides and your boats.
3) Sail to Ha Long, exploring the bay on the way. Restaurant meal and hotel stay.
4-6) Sail the coast south to the Perfume River and up the river to Hue. Two homestays, 1 hotel stay at Hue.
7) Hue. See any other 'Nam tour for details! Hotel stay again.
8) Hue to Hoi An. Say goodbye to the guides and boats. Hotel stay.
9 & 10) Hoi An. See any other 'Nam tour for details! Hotel stays again.
11) Transfer to Da Nang, fly to Hanoi. Evening in Hanoi. Hotel stay.
12) Depart Hanoi.

Small bags on board, luggage transferred hotel-to-hotel by local van.

Run trips in alternating directions so the boats don't have to get on the bus between trips.
dreaded_luggage

Postby dreaded_luggage » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:34 pm

Another: Alpine workout

Incomplete, because I don't have my maps here, but something like this ...

1) Meet at Interlaken, Switzerland.
2) Hike up the Schwarze Lütschine to Grindelwald, up the meadows on the ridge to Männlichen and along the ridge to Kleine Scheidegg. Return to Grindelwald by train because the hotels are a lot cheaper down there.
3) By early train back to Kleine Scheidegg. Hike up to the Gletscherbahnhof and (I'm not kidding here) climb the Eiger. Back down to the station and either a train up to the Jungfraujoch for dinner then the train back down to Grindelwald or a walk under the infamous Nordwand and down.
4) Cycle Waldhittli and the Sustenstrasse to Wattingen.
5) Train to Mastrils on the Rhein. Cycle east through Vorarlberg, north through Lechtal and east to Steeg.
6) Hike up Kaisertal and through Kaiserjoch to get into Arlberg. Train down into Inntal.
7) Back on the bikes to go up Ötztal, through Hochgurgl and over the border into Italy, finishing at San Leonardo In Passiria with a drink you'll probably need after that road.
8) Cycle over to Vipiteno and then to San Giacomo.
9) Over the border again into the top of Zillertal. Through Mayrhofen to Zell am Ziller.
10) Gerlospass, east into Pinzgau. Take a moment to marvel at the cliffs on the south side! Train to Zell am See.
11) Well-earned rest ... unless you'd rather swim the lake or take a boat out.
12) Hike Kaprunertal. Train to Dorfgastein.
13) Climb Schuhflicker and, if you've the legs for it, the Höllwand
14) ...
dreaded_luggage

Postby dreaded_luggage » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:21 pm

Oh, come on. There were something like 7,000 entries for that contest. Someone else must remember one they liked.

I still have the list:
In order of creation, here are mine:

Dien Bien Phu and Highlands

Sail Vietnam's Coast

Hike Tierra del Fuego

Alpine Lakes and Mountains

Tribal North America

Northern England

Eye to eye with the big fish

Also loving:

Hiking the Alps and Dolamites from Hut-to-Hut [sic]

Wild Waters of Ecuador

The Andes - Deserts, Mountains and Glaciers

Kangaroo Coral Hop

The Hippie Trail

Galápagos for Good!

Experience the Sound of Silence...

Coconuts and Mangos

2010 Year of the Tiger - "Save our Tigers" Tour

Into the Amazon

Surviving Gabon
Unfortunately, none of the links I've tried works any more. If anyone remembers writing one of those, please give us the details so we can clamour for attention on its behalf!

The "Tribal North America" one, by the way, was a trip up through the Reserves and Reservations (the name depends on which side of the border it lies) of the USA and Canada, taking in Volcano, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier and Banff National Parks along the way and putting as much of our business the Natives' way as possible. Note: this tour does not include any time at all in Las Vegas.

Okay, your turn now. Cheer. Approve. Criticise. Condemn. Point out problems. Suggest alternatives. Suggest whole new ideas. Post pictures of cats perusing the latest brochure.
dreaded_luggage

Return to The Suggestion Box