age restriction for YOLO tours

If you have feedback or a suggestion regarding your recent G Adventures experience, or comments pertaining to Customer Service please post it here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy, Customer_Service

Re: age restriction for YOLO tours

Postby grash » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:20 pm

If there was a backlash last time that YOLO tours were implemented WHY are they doing it again?
grash
User Rank: Traveller

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:41 pm

grash wrote:If there was a backlash last time that YOLO tours were implemented WHY are they doing it again?

As one poster said, a leading (the leading?) comment from some of the younger crowd on YOLO tours apparently was that they wanted groups restricted to their ages. I'm a little surprised at this as I haven't seen a plethora of older people on the YOLO-style trips I've been on; I've often been the only one over 39 anyway.

Whatever the realities or perceptions may be, G Adventures is a business and I'm sure they are trying to adjust their policies to whatever gets them the most business. It doesn't do them any good to drive away 2 or 3 dozen potential customers to retain a half-dozen potential customers. I love the company's style enough that I've been accused of being a company shill :lol: but I'm just one customer. The "youngsters" may or may not realize that 1 or 2 people over 40 won't impede their experience (or maybe we do and I just don't see it) but at the end of the day, G needs to sell spaces on their trips.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby grash » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:09 pm

I also love GA's style of touring and I was looking forward to many years of travel with them. I am booked to go on a tour and I fear that it will be my last with them. Even though the next tour I am looking at doing is not a YOLO I think that I will go to a competing company. GA obviously doesn't need my business.
grash

Postby brad.fraser » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:38 pm

I'm doing a YOLO tour this October, Nairobi - Cape Town. I'm 28 (will be 29 on the second day of the tour :wink: ), traveling with my friend who is also 29, and I can't honestly see why anyone would have a problem with anyone over the age of 39 traveling with them on the tour. I'm not expecting this to be anything like the Contiki trips I've done which is aimed at younger crowds (and which I support the age bracket, especially considering I felt like an oldie doing one last year!), in fact I'm expecting it to be the polar opposite; a group of travelers who are there to share in the travel experience and culture rather than getting drunk every night and partying til the sun comes up. Age shouldn't matter for a cultural experience like this. If it was a tour around Europe or other 'coming-of-age' tours then I'd support the age limit given they're typically a younger persons tour, and could understand why G would implement an age restriction given nearly other competing company in that region has one too. But from the quick research I've done, most of the YOLO tours aren't like this. And especially for a safari-like trip around Africa, personally I don't see age being an issue at all. Quite disappointing indeed to read the age limit might indeed already be reinstated.
You're off to great places,
Today is your day.
Your mountain is waiting,
So get on your way!!
brad.fraser

Postby sinecure » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:26 pm

I can confirm that YOLO trips are now 18-39 only.
sinecure

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:28 pm

sinecure wrote:I can confirm that YOLO trips are now 18-39 only.

That makes me sad but at least I got one more in last fall. As I said, G is just trying to cater to their customers' comments and requests. If you don't like it but are under 39, instead of picking another travel company, I'd encourage you to go ahead and take a G YOLO trip and then comment in favor of allowing some older people on the trip.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby froggybraveheart » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:20 am

I was pretty upset at first to hear about the age restriction being implemented. Then I did a little research and found another company with almost identical tours with similar prices. Their website states, " Instead of being defined by age or nationality, travelers are united by attitude: an open mind, a positive vibe and a yearning to connect with the world around them". This sounds more like the company for me. I only wish I would have discovered them sooner.
froggybraveheart

Postby willow0516 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:36 pm

froggybraveheart wrote:I was pretty upset at first to hear about the age restriction being implemented. Then I did a little research and found another company with almost identical tours with similar prices. Their website states, " Instead of being defined by age or nationality, travelers are united by attitude: an open mind, a positive vibe and a yearning to connect with the world around them". This sounds more like the company for me. I only wish I would have discovered them sooner.

I also thought this was G's philosophy, sadly, it turns out not to be the case. Like you, I've turned to their competitor who offers the same trip I was planning to take this fall except slightly cheaper. They'll let me go, despite my old age (40.) :roll:

I took my first G trip this year and really enjoyed it, but outside of one trip I have already planned to take with a friend next year, I doubt I'll use them again. There are enough other options out there that I don't need to patronize a business that doesn't value me as a customer.

I also think it's really unprofessional how G has handled this (implementing the policy, then saying they're getting rid of it, then changing it again . . .) Worse yet, G couldn't be bothered to announce it here or even correct the FAQ (which still states there are no upper age limits on their trips.) At the very least, if you're going to implement a crappy policy, OWN it so people know and can make other arrangements.
willow0516

Postby sinecure » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:11 pm

- Anyone booked before the rule was implemented is all good to go.
- If you need help please let one of the moderators know, and we will do everything we can to help you in touch with the right people at base camp.
sinecure

Postby froggybraveheart » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:28 am

Thank you Sinecure for the information. You have been very helpful!
froggybraveheart

Previous

Return to The Suggestion Box