Thailand jungle trek for charity Breakthrough Breast Cancer

Discuss volunteering opportunities or how you can help to ensure that tourism in developing countries remains a positive experience for everyone.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy, richardGS

Thailand jungle trek for charity Breakthrough Breast Cancer

Postby HollyAA » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:22 am

I've been trying to think of a different way to spend my gap year that not everybody does and have decided to join a charity trek into the Thailand jungle for the charity Breakthrough Breast Cancer next March.

Has anyone else ever done a charity trek? Is this a good way to see the 'real' Thailand away from all the tourists and tourist traps?

I'm really excited about this trek and hopefully it will be a really unique and fulfilling experience in aid of a very worthy cause ....
HollyAA
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Thailand jungle trek for charity Breakthrough Breast Cancer

Postby hamilh » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:55 am

Where did you hear about this? I would be really interested in something like this. Could you please post the link?
"We have not inherited the world from our Fathers, We are borrowing it from our Children." - Lester R. Brown
hamilh
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby jimshu » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:07 pm

There are now many opportunities for charity treks, either walking or mountain biking.
If members here want to discuss these,and since they will not be related to a specific destination, then I need to move this to the Responsible Travel Forum.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby jimshu » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:16 pm

Elephant-Human Relations Aid, EHRA ran a succesful trek through very scenic parts of Damaraland , Namibia just recently.
http://www.desertelephant.org/news.php#16
Wonderful to see women from around the world , joining in such a unique event, to help raise funds to protect a bull elephant that has become a local identity.
And where were all us men?
:roll:

Save the Rhino Trust also operate a mountain bike trek through the Namib desert.
Combining one of these activities with an adventure tour seems such a great experience.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Return to Volunteering and Sustainable Travel